SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:15 AM
Joined May 2006
39 Posts
Discussion
Formosa vs. Formosa II

Im thinking of my what next rc model will be. At first my choice was between the Multiplx Acromaster and GWS Formosa II, but the I realised that the Acromaster's setup is going to be to a bit to expensive for me, so now its between the Formosa (1) and the Formosa II.

Can you please give me som advice !!
I live in Sweden, and that means that I probably will order the stuff needed from Sweden or from Germany, a little depending on what I choose to do.
One thing is that the cost of the Formosa II will be maybe "1.5 x Price of Formosa (1)" but if it can handle the wind much better than the Formosa (1), it will be worth it.
What do you think? All comments are valueable. (I have been flying RC planes for about year or something, my models (in order) : X-Twin Sport (that made me want to fly "real" rc), GWS E-starter, Multiplex Easy Star, Homebuilt Depron (from plans i a magazine) Heart Of Gold-3d model, To hard to fly bec I did bought to inexpensive brushless and the model became too heavy to fly, Homebuilt/modified 3Dx (From plans, Foamy Factory)-using the setup from the Heart Of Gold; in this model the prev setup fitted better ;-), and all models are still "alive", ofcourse I have crashed them, but not that hard )

After doing some time in the simulators, I know that I like acro plane best (F3A alike), better that for ex scale, 3D is fun but flying is nicer with (so called) F3A planes.

Please helt me make up my mind, or come with some other good suggestions in the same pricerange (simular formosa II with 150-200 W brushless setup) !!!

BR / ricapp
ricapp is offline Find More Posts by ricapp
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:43 AM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
The original formosa is a great little model...I have flown it in relative wind that would ground my 0ther models...It's reasonably inexpensive, and is a good honest flier....just make sure you set it up correctly......I have had mine for 3 seasons, and it's still one of my favourite small models......I have no information on the Formosa 2
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron
Old Oct 27, 2006, 03:46 PM
GPT
Sydney,Australia
Joined Dec 2004
1,592 Posts
The II will handle the wind better,but while 150-200 watts is good in the Formosa I its not in the II.
You need around 250-300 watts for good aerobatic performance in the Formosa II.
GPT is offline Find More Posts by GPT
Old Oct 27, 2006, 04:14 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
for good pattern type aerobatic performance,the Formosa does not need 200 watts.
I fly mine with an Eflite park 370 1080 KV outrunner....11X7.5 E prop on 3S 1500 mah cells. This produces approx 125 to 130 watts....more than adequate for pattern practise. A pattern model does not need to hover, and for the first season at least there are NO long vertical uplines in the flying routine. by the time you are into that kind of stuff, you are already well past the capabilities of the formosa. more power doesn't make you a better flier......more practise does .
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:29 PM
Joined Apr 2005
997 Posts
The Formosa I has been a real joy for me...a great way to transition from trainers to aerobatic planes. I find that it flies very well indeed with a Hacker A20 20L, limited to about 150 W by the prop selection; 200 W seems like overkill. If your goal is to fly 3D, it might make sense to simply go with a good foamie rather than the more expensive F2. If all you want to do is enjoy conventional aerobatics, the F1 is a very good choice. Good luck!
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Oct 27, 2006, 09:11 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,924 Posts
Get the Formosa I. One of my favorites. I have an AXI 2808/24 which is way overkill but it is a hoot to rocket vertical while just sipping the amps. Can fly forever on the 3 cell 2100 pack. You will love the Formosa I. Well so long as you love a great flying plane.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Oct 28, 2006, 07:31 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON
Get the Formosa I. One of my favorites. I have an AXI 2808/24 which is way overkill but it is a hoot to rocket vertical while just sipping the amps. Can fly forever on the 3 cell 2100 pack. You will love the Formosa I. Well so long as you love a great flying plane.
How did you mount the AXI in your Formosa ? Is a motor mount/adaptor available ? Any pics would be great. I'm currently using a Himax 2025 inrunner w/gearbox. Performance is excellent, but I'd like to get rid of the gearbox. Thanks.
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Oct 28, 2006, 08:12 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Another thumbs-up for the formosa. Flew it once on stock motor with gear and it was a pig. Shelved it for months until a friend let me fly his on a B20 and 3s LiPo - no gear. It was GREAT. Equipped mine similarly, and it flies like it's on rails! On stupid-rate control throws, it'll also hover (but drop the rates down for "normal" flying...)
I'm running a B20 18L 4:1 on 3s TP 2100's, with a 9x6 prop. Flies most of the pattern at half throttle, easy 20 minute flights. I have it written as 15oz, but it's got to be heavier than that..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:06 AM
Joined May 2002
16,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al P
How did you mount the AXI in your Formosa ? Is a motor mount/adaptor available ? Any pics would be great. I'm currently using a Himax 2025 inrunner w/gearbox. Performance is excellent, but I'd like to get rid of the gearbox. Thanks.

http://www.cl-i-max.com/axi-mounts.shtml

Great little mounts as they keep thrust and centerline.
I have a ton of them and have never broke one. I had a Himax 2025 in there before but could not stand the gearbox. (I mean, I really hated the Gearbox)
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:08 AM
Joined May 2002
16,924 Posts
Just looked at his site again at the bottom and he has a picture of my setup on a Mini Funtana. How cool I am famous.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:00 PM
Joined May 2004
538 Posts
I'd go with the Formosa I also. I have one and was considering the II, but it's got a few strange features, like the battery under the wing. You can mod the nose, but why have to bother? Also, it has the servos in the back, so is a little tough to balance with a light motor setup.
Sit-N-Fly is offline Find More Posts by Sit-N-Fly
Old Oct 29, 2006, 12:51 AM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,044 Posts
I have the Formosa II, and it's a great model. I have seen the Formosa fly, but at the time I wasn't interested in something so small. Now I am more interested in smaller models and would like something that size for park flying. I wouldn't fly my F II in a park, it needs a lot more space than the Formosa and it weighs a bit over a kilo. I think you will want at least 200W in the FII. I think both models would make you happy; it depends on where you fly and how much you want to spend. Everything in the F II is of course bigger and more expensive.

Chris.
Chris F is online now Find More Posts by Chris F
Old Oct 29, 2006, 01:07 AM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
My Formosa I is E-Flight 400 out runner powered / E-Flight 20a ESC / 9x6 APC Slow flight prop / 3s 1500 lipos. Bluebird 380 on ailerons, H55s on R and E.
Glued on wing..20 oz..flies as if on rails..does full pattern and then some ! Easily handles 20 MPH winds.
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Oct 29, 2006, 07:55 AM
Joined May 2006
39 Posts
Thank you all !

I think I will go for the smaller Formosa after all!

How will the Formosa 1 fly with its "standard setup" (350C/D gearbox, 300 motor is standard?), 2 cell LiPo, and a hmmm, 12-20 amp ESC ?

The question is if its even worth trying it that way ?

BR / ricapp
ricapp is offline Find More Posts by ricapp
Old Oct 29, 2006, 08:04 AM
Joined May 2002
16,924 Posts
I would vote for more power than that. Its worth trying but you wont be blowing the wings off by any means.