SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2006, 07:31 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
Discussion
Aerobatic/Fun-Fly or Pattern plans for 1/2A?

Anyone know of plans for a .10 powered aerobat/Fun-Fly or pattern plane?

I've found one of a Super Pacer, but it is for .15-.25, so IDK if a .10 would pull it fast enough for solid performance.

Anyone know of anymore plans or kits? (balsa or foam)
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:49 AM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,709 Posts
Check out "Dave's Place for Assorted R/C Things"

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/index.html

He has plans for the Mach None, Pacer (1/2A version) and GLH, along with the Goldberg Jr. Falcon, Jr. Skylark and Sky Lane 42.

The Super Pacer probably will be very marginal for the .10.

.10 is really a hard size to find planes for. It started in the cross over era where one class ended at .099, another started at .100. This allowed one airframe to be flown in two classes with only an engine change. That's also where the .049/.051 sized came from - two separate classes.

I think the .10 is better suited for power gliders around 80" - 96" and old timers. I've heard that the OS .10 is a real jewel when converted to diesel.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Oct 28, 2006, 02:15 AM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,317 Posts
The real problem with .10 sized airplanes is that most engines made in that size don't have enough horsepower to pull the skim off of warm milk, and a .15 is a little overpowered. I love .10 sized motors as that's what I learned on, but as I progressed I couldn't find a good home for them.
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old Oct 28, 2006, 08:26 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Decades ago, there were lots of plans published for .10-powered models, so a visit to sites like Flying Models or RCM should yield what you want. I agree with the assessment of the power of .10s, a lot of .10s were upgraded to .15s with little weight penalty, but monstrous increases in power/displacement.

Looks to me that you will be looking for semi-scale low-performance models for your .10. I have an OS.099 taking up space in a drawer someplace, waiting for it to age to a point where I can trade it for a small diesel; it has no other use...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:10 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,610 Posts
SNIPER, 37.5" span, A/E/T, RCM Plan #984, $7.00

For a Fun Fly, you could try Ken Willard's Top Dawg.
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Oct 29, 2006, 09:11 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
I know, I tryed the first link and the Pacer looks way too small for the .10 and Super pacer would have to be built very lightly and a crash would probably total it.

Im just looking for something that might look like a pattern plane, but just flies like a Micro whizz with enough power for loops out of level flight and semi-snappy rolls and snaps would make me elated.

I had it on a 72" glider, but I had some kind of failure and it started to spiral in a hard right turn when the stick was nutral and when the stick was held hard left it would only fly strait, so I flew it down as best I could like that but it still cartwheeled and I ned to rebuild one wing and horiz. stab., but sence I have SO many other gliders, i'd liek a little aerobat, or even a tiny trainer so the motor can be put to good use untill I feel like rebuilding teh glider's wing.

How would one go able converting it to a .15 or diesel?

I like that sniper and it looks about the right size, but if I can find free plans like Dave's, i'd rather try that bird first.

I might end up building a little trainer like RCM's Basic Trainer.

I LOVE oldtimers but coudlnt find any link to any plans that werent rubber band peanut scale or for large motors. Do you know of any, HF?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 05:34 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,709 Posts
Jake,

Try searching in the forums that support the old timers - I'm sure they have a or know of planes that are suitable for .10.

If you find something larger or smaller than you want, you can use Tile Print from Black Flight Models to scale and print them if they aren't CAD, and if they are CAD you can scale them in the CAD program.

www.blackflight.com

Have you thought about pulling out the drafting tools and just designing your own plane?

Hogflyer
Old Oct 30, 2006, 02:35 AM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,317 Posts
Why not buy one of the beautiful .10 sized electric pattern ships and bolt the glow motor to it? They are built beautifully these days and start under $100 for something really worth having...
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old Oct 30, 2006, 07:29 AM
LaPorte, IN
Joined Jul 2002
147 Posts
The wattage Tangent comes to mind, I have one look's to be a good .10 sized prospect, Two .15 sized comes to mind are the Kaos & Ampmeister plans available on the net, If you don't mind profiles, the Skeeter 30 and the Halfwit come to mind, I got a GP Fundango converted to glow first using a OS 15 fp, a little to much, would roll out and up in 10 ft. or less, later tried a ST.11 nice combo, and fun. Seen some other's that would make nice conversion's also once I find them again.
Robert
SkyBurner is offline Find More Posts by SkyBurner
Old Oct 30, 2006, 08:06 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
HF, I had thaught of it, but if I design one it will be a trainer (I love trainers) in stead of a pattern type plane just because I dont think I could design it good enough to be worth the scratch build effort.

Dave and Robert, im more in the mood to build, plus its cheaper.

I'll keep looking.

I was thinking about bolting it onto by Simple Series Simple 400 while im looking/ building, but it looks a bit large for it.

.10 Slow Stick?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:12 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
Well, It seems i've found a great kit from House OF Balsa.

ON their web site (I cant find it anywhere else) they have a profile SU-31 .061 to .12. Looks great, lazer cut, perfect size, but no plans and the kit is 60 bucks, so im going to keep looking for untill one of my planes finally sale.
They also have an Extra 300L.

Anyone know anything about these planes? Where to buy, how it flies, anything?
Last edited by Mchone, Jake; Oct 30, 2006 at 10:18 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:21 AM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake
HF, I had thaught of it, but if I design one it will be a trainer (I love trainers) in stead of a pattern type plane just because I dont think I could design it good enough to be worth the scratch build effort.....
Jake

Wrong answer......

The only way to learn to design and build a good flying plane is to do it. Thinking it may be too hard will only leave you wanting a plane you want but will never have. I've done a lot of planes that didn't fly worth a , and so has anybody else who has designed, built and flown their own designs. Until you learn what works and what doesn't you'll never know!

Start off with a flat bottom airfoil trainer, and after you have it flying good, start looking at a plane like the Mach None or Pacer. Study other plans out there to get a grip on what seems to work for others and use those as a guide - that's the way I learned and know of several others who have done it.

When you started flying advanced planes, did you think well that may be too hard to learn and didn't do it? No, you just moved up to the next level. Same with designing/building - iff you can handle a kit or scratch build from somebody else’s plane, then you can do it from your own. There is also support form the design/scratch build forums to help you along.

Bottom line - you have to start someplace - like flying skills’, designing has to be developed/nurtured. If it doesn't fly, consider you've eliminated one design from the list and plug on (and hang it from the ceiling not as a wasted effort, but as one your creations you want to preserve). One plane I did took 3 years and 6 versions to get flying right.

Now, start laying out a design and lets see it!

Hogflyer
Old Oct 30, 2006, 01:13 PM
LaPorte, IN
Joined Jul 2002
147 Posts
Gotta agree with HF, you just might surprise yourself. Here's a link you may find usefull, http://sky.prohosting.com/air2/design.htm
Some good basic info, ya could start out with something like a Balsa USA stick trainer in a .10 sized and build it to try out different wing platform's, flat,semi, full sym. etc. a guy at our field does this with his scratch built .40 sized Swizzle Stick. Pretty simple and he has a blast with it. That simple series may be a bit heavy, I know the simple ultimate is. I think Balsa USA still offers a picture or something on the stick trainer for reference, a slow stick with a box to hide the radio gear, sounds like the design is already in motion.
Balsa USA link, http://www.balsausa.com/kits/kit.htp?id=39&shopperid=
Robert
Last edited by SkyBurner; Oct 30, 2006 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added link
Old Oct 30, 2006, 03:20 PM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake
I LOVE oldtimers but coudlnt find any link to any plans that werent rubber band peanut scale or for large motors. Do you know of any, HF?

Scale the old-timer designs down is what I do. For a .10 I would have around 42-50" wingspan for an old-timer, depending on heavily it looks built.

I either get plans reduced/enlarged at a plan printing place round here or use downloadable plans and scale them with Photoshop or a CAD package

A couple of sites with downloadable plans:
http://plans.rcmodell.hu/oldtime.html
http://www.theplanpage.com/index.htm
johnvb is offline Find More Posts by johnvb
Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:14 PM
LaPorte, IN
Joined Jul 2002
147 Posts
Jake, here's some more plan's links,
http://www.profili2.com/eng/default_plans.htm
http://corsair.flugmodellbau.de/file...an/Bauplan.htm
http://aviationshoppe.com/index.html
If I had a idea of what your really looking for, I've a archive of alot of plans from a site long gone of rubber, free flight, and some 1/2a plans in mostly PDF format, most would fit the .10 sized category nicely.
Robert