HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2002, 03:54 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,163 Posts
Polk' Hobbies New R/C System - Tracker II

I see that Polk's hobbies is about to release their new Tracker II R/C system. http://www.polkshobby.com

Two items of interest are:

- Upon powerup, it scans the airwaves for available channels before attempting to transmit. No more shoot-downs.
- Totally Synthesized. No Xtals. Choose your channel at the field.

These are not new features to the R/C market, but the low price for them is a plus ($275 is shown on the web site).

Has anyone had one of these in their hands? How does it look and feel?

Regards,
Mr. RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2002, 11:21 AM
Wakefield, MA
Joined Feb 2001
769 Posts
Looks interesting and at a very nice price, but how come they are so stingy with details? You know things like how many channels for one, or is it pos/neg/both shift. Can it be used for a CP helicopter?
member73 is offline Find More Posts by member73
Old Aug 30, 2002, 08:13 AM
Joined Dec 2001
125 Posts
95 revisited???

You should approach this radio very carefully. I remember in about 95 they introduced the first one. Very very vapor press releases but few were ever sold. Those that got them were reporting mega problems in the forums. Do a search on some of the major news groups and you should find the posts. Be carefull!! Best Regards, Jeff.....
Jeff Leavitt is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Leavitt
Old Aug 30, 2002, 10:16 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,163 Posts
I came up with one hit on deja news. The original Tracker was advertised in 1994 for about $479. The fact that there is very little discussion on the old Tracker does send up warning flags.

Probably not many were ever sold. Must have been a poor performer I suppose. Sounds like the new Tracker will have some work cut out for it -- R/C'ers have long memories.

RC-CAM
Old Aug 30, 2002, 01:51 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
Seems like you would need a synthesized receiver to go with it
or a pocketful of crystals. But I see they Do have a PLL synthesized
receiver under development to go with the Tx. You just hold the Tx
antenna close to the receiver and wiggle the sticks until the Rx tunes
itself to the Tx. I'd have to see it in actual use before plunking down
any cash. Still an interesting concept if they get it to work and they
might if they have the old Hitec engineers working on it.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Aug 30, 2002, 03:00 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,163 Posts
The part that peaked my interest is that it appears you get a 72Mhz synthesized Tx AND Rx, NiCd's, plus one servo, for $275.

RC-CAM
Old Aug 30, 2002, 03:49 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
From the link in your first post I wasn't sure if the Rx was
included with the Tx or not. But after looking further, it appears
as if both are included at that price.

Wonder if the Tx would work with other Rx's or just their own.

One thing is certain, Polks definitely needs some lessons in marketing.

They've been around for a long time, but from their web site and
in stock inventory, it looks like they're just getting started again.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Jan 05, 2004, 10:13 AM
Mid-Michigan
Joined Aug 2002
2,178 Posts
I'm gonna revive this old thread.

I bought one of these just before Xmas, and it is pretty much OK, except that it has a glitch when used with a JR 610 receiver.

Anybody else out there that bought one want to chime in?
uscra112 is offline Find More Posts by uscra112
Old Jan 05, 2004, 10:40 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
OR! for those of you who haven't yet come to know the Tracker II, do a one word search using the term "tracker" and you'll discover some relatively large threads already that discuss that particular radio.
Of those of us who have actually put out the money to buy one, I would say that MOST of us were very underwhelmed by the radio. It's got some serious software flaws including the fact that it won't save trim settings when you power off the radio.
As you might imagine, I no longer have a Tracker II.

Read the other threads and prepared to spend some time in front of your computer

Highflight
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Jan 05, 2004, 11:57 AM
Mid-Michigan
Joined Aug 2002
2,178 Posts
Not underwhelmed yet.

I scanned thru some of those threads. One of the big ones seems to spend a lot more space trashing the Futaba than anything else.

I have not had any problem saving trims.

I do have a problem with a cross-channel interaction, but only with a couple of JR 610 receivers I use. There is a workaround.

Chief complaints I have are that the manual needs to be proofread and edited, and they use a different combination of channels for throttle, elevator, aileron than does my JR, so I have to reconnect my servos to use the Tracker TX.

I see in one thread that the PLL module from the Japanese source is $1000. Did someone get a decimal point wrong?

Haven't flown the RX yet to see how it does at extreme range, nor have I evaluated it for resistance to interference.

Maybe because I work every day with high tech stuff in what the auto industry like to call a "concurrent engineering environment" I am not too bothered by "bugs", as long as they can be worked out.
Old Jan 05, 2004, 01:40 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by uscra112
Maybe because I work every day with high tech stuff in what the auto industry like to call a "concurrent engineering environment" I am not too bothered by "bugs", as long as they can be worked out.
Then I highly recommend that you immediately send off for your own Tracker II, a radio that "makes all others obsolete".

When you've set it up and used it, we will all wait for your in depth report on it's many virtues.

Highflight
Old Jan 05, 2004, 02:12 PM
Mid-Michigan
Joined Aug 2002
2,178 Posts
You missed my point.

I have one and I have set it up and used it.
Old Jan 05, 2004, 02:38 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by uscra112
You missed my point.

I have one and I have set it up and used it.
Cool!
Have you worked out these bugs yet?:

1. When you adjust the trims (e.g., ailerons) to center them, you lose those settings when you turn it off and have to start all over again every time you want to fly that aircraft again. The Tracker is the only "computer" radio (I use the term loosely) I'm aware of made these days that doesn't save trim settings.

2. When you want to run separate elevator servos on two different channels (mixed), have you worked out the bug where the elevator trim only trims the primary (elevator) channel, but doesn't trim the other channel that the other servo is plugged into (although is mixed) with the primary channel.

Since you work in a high tech environment, maybe you can fix these bugs where Polks chooses not to? (They say that the memory chip on the Tracker isn't large enough to accomodate any more "fixes").

Highflight
Old Jan 05, 2004, 04:35 PM
Mid-Michigan
Joined Aug 2002
2,178 Posts
As far as I can see the trims do save. I will work on this tonight to be sure. I do know I've got a higher software rev. # than the people who were griping about the trim issue.

Two elevator servos as in V-Tail? I haven't got such an aircraft, but I can surely mock it up on the bench with some loose servos and see.

This ain't the first time somebody Beta tested on the customer. It ain't even the hundredth. Long ago I was a dealer for Honda (motorcycles) and I saw this all the time. Never buy ANY Japanese car or bike in the first model year! ( Heck, it's true of the Americans, too - marketing takes control and tells manufacturing that they WILL ship the product on this date, ready or not. Period. End of meeting!)

Cheers!
Old Jan 06, 2004, 06:16 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
No, two elevator servos as in one on each half of a typical elevator. We giant-scale guys do that a lot.

Highflight