SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2001, 12:03 AM
Joined Mar 2001
38 Posts
Forward Swept Flying Wing

Is it possible to make one with a larger sweep than just a few degrees? I searched the web and the examples were just a tad swept forward. Also, a question on washout and reflex. With the tips being infront of the cg, would the washout still be down, or should the washout be moved to the center? Would reflex be curved down instead of up?
stevenfrancis2000 is offline Find More Posts by stevenfrancis2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2001, 12:35 AM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
994 Posts
The Dream Catcher Hobby company makes quite a few nice gliders including the Toucan. It has a very futuristic fiberglas fuselage ending with a shark fin. The wings are thin and well swept forward. It does not incorporate any wingtip twists because it is aerobatic. There is minimal reflex when balanced and trimed for max performance. The original design was first published in Model Aviation several years ago.
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Old Jul 07, 2001, 08:30 AM
Somewhere in England
Joined Apr 2001
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stevenfrancis2000:
Is it possible to make one with a larger sweep than just a few degrees? I searched the web and the examples were just a tad swept forward. Also, a question on washout and reflex. With the tips being infront of the cg, would the washout still be down, or should the washout be moved to the center? Would reflex be curved down instead of up?
You would need wash-in OR normal reflex OR some combination of both. My recommendation would be not to build this unless you really can afford to experiment a lot...

For example slightly too much wash-in and your model will be prone to tip stalling. Too little and it might be unstable in pitch (I assume you are talking about a tail less model).

If I really had to build one I would probably start with a section designed for an unswept flying wing (eg +ve pitching moment) and use no wash out and mimimal forward sweep.

cwatters is offline Find More Posts by cwatters
Old Jul 07, 2001, 12:16 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
The problem is getting the weight foreward. This is why the Toucan has a fuse. I have a wing with a strait leading edge and had to add a fuse to get the CG right.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Jul 07, 2001, 12:32 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,400 Posts
One problem is where to put the control surfaces. If you were to add winglets they would pull the wing around so that it would fly swept forward. Ailerons will have similar problems.
To get a correct CG, you'll need a lot of weight in the wingtips. Putting 2 batteries out there would be a problem, so you'd need a lot of ballast.
I think the only practical way is with a fuse and tractor motor. But then its not a flying wing.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Jul 07, 2001, 07:20 PM
Rhode Island
Joined Oct 2000
585 Posts
Don't forget that a swept forward wing has to be exceptionally stiff torsionally, with or without fuse.
BobK is offline Find More Posts by BobK
Old Jul 08, 2001, 11:14 PM
Now with more COWBELL!
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Mar 2001
804 Posts
I was reading this thread, and went to the Dream Catcher site to check out the Toucan. I think I'm in love! Jim Petro, did you ever build one? And do you think it would take electric power?
U2Steve is offline Find More Posts by U2Steve