HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:48 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3 Posts
Question
What does Kv really mean ?

If a motor is rated at, say, 1000 Kv and you give it 12V, then presumably the number 12,000 RPM is somehow significant. Is this the speed that the motor runs at without a load ? The speed of highest power ? The most efficient speed ?

Dumber question: How does your run-o-the-mill brushless ESC know what speed to run it at ? It doesn't know the motor's Kv, and it doesn't know how fast the motor is actually turning (right ?).

Thanks!
buster123 is offline Find More Posts by buster123
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:05 AM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,064 Posts
The ESC "know" the speed of the motor, simply because the motor actualy produce electricity when it turn, just like a generator. Let say your 1000kV motor turn 12,000rpm, then it'll produce a 12V sin wave going at 12,000Hz (for a 2 pole motor), your ESC "see" that and act accordingly. Since your power source is "let say" 13V, there's still a 1V difference between the source and the motor, some current is going trought the motor. If your motor work hard and goes down to 6,000rpm (6,000 /1000kV = 6V), there's now a 7V difference between the source and motor, lot of current (power) is going in the motor. That phenomena is called: "counter-electromotive force".

The KV value is the speed the motor need to turn so it produce 1V of counter-electromotice force. Since the motor is not 100% efficient you can say that the 1000Kv motor will turn slightly slower than 12,000rpm when running on 12V with no load.

Sometime you see (sensorless brushless ESC) on castle creation products for example, some ESC (novak) use a sensor on the motor shaft to know what speed it turn. Sensorless ESC "sense" the couter-electromotive force to know the speed of the motor. However that force is weak when the motor turn at low speed, making low speed drivability difficult for such ESC.

-Hugo
TrueRC Canada
Hugeone is offline Find More Posts by Hugeone
Last edited by Hugeone; Oct 26, 2006 at 12:12 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:19 AM
Toowoomba,Australia
Joined Jul 2002
210 Posts
kv or RPM/Volt is way of determining the use of a motor. It varies with motor type: inrunner or outrunner, number of poles, number of turns, winding resistance etc. The kv can be used to find the maxium voltage that can be applied to a certain motor. As an example a 5000kv motor may have a RPM limit of 60,000 (set by the manafacturer) so the means 60,000/5000 = 12volts would be the maxium voltage. The same motor as above with more windings may have a kv of 2500, this would then be 60,000/2500 = 24volts maxium. If this motor was rated at 240watts then the 5000kv version would use 240/12 = 20amps and the 2,500kv one 240/24 = 10amps max under load.
This is a very basic example but gives you the idea.
Eddie
Electraflyit is offline Find More Posts by Electraflyit
Old Nov 24, 2006, 06:04 PM
Lemon Tree Passage NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2001
378 Posts
If a motor is rated at 1000 Kv and you give it 12V, then 12,000 RPM is the peak epm it will reach.

The significant in an immediate sense is
1. the kv directly relates to the torque constant Kt which is expressed as in/oz/amp ie torque per amp my recall is 1352/kv = kt in in/oz
2. max power is at 50% of peak rpm and max efficincy will depend on the type of motor - for good brushless in runners use 88-90% for car motors use 78% of peak rpm

Your esc just runs the motor as hard as you push the throttle. If its brushless you need to set the timing and operating frequency to suit the motor. If its brushed your controller doesnt care it just puts out the power you throttle it to modified per any adjustments you make in the esc.

at the Kv is rpm/v - the esc has only aminor effect on the motors speed - the rpm/v figure and the actual volts in your pack determine the motor speed
Andrew Gilchrist is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Gilchrist
Old Dec 02, 2006, 10:45 AM
Rogers AR
Joined Jan 2004
436 Posts
Buster,
Let me try to help a little. The kv of a motor will also tell you which prop you can effectively use based oh what the watts rating is. The larger prop you put on the motor the higher the amps, and the watts that it will pull trying to drive the prop up to the max rpm or kv the motor is rated at. If the motor is rated at 1000kv and say 150 watts, then you put a 10x6 prop on it, and it pulls 150 watts at 12volts and wide open throttle then that is a good fit. If on the other hand the 10x6 prop causes the motor to over heat, and pull more watts than 150, then eventually it will probably fail.

By the way, watts are amps x volts equals watts. 12amps x 12volt equals 144watts.

good luck,
Darrell
BandDButton is offline Find More Posts by BandDButton
Old Apr 08, 2008, 02:28 AM
Joined Oct 2006
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeone
The KV value is the speed the motor need to turn so it produce 1V of counter-electromotice force. Since the motor is not 100% efficient you can say that the 1000Kv motor will turn slightly slower than 12,000rpm when running on 12V with no load.
-Hugo
TrueRC Canada
What is the precise definition of the KV value for brushless motors? In the above explanation, what is meant 1V of counter-electromotive voltage, is it the peak amplitude value or the effective value? (Like 120V in the mains -- it is the effective, not the amplitude value). Actually, I guess the shape of the voltage is not precisely sine, it may somewhat depend on the shape of the magnets and poles (though possibly this is a small distortion, and a tiny difference in the effective vs. amplitude relation)

I tried Wikipedia, but don't know the precise term to look for.

And, in practice -- if one runs a brushless motor in idle, how significantly lower will be RPM than KV*Voltage -- 90%, 80% ?

And how KV is defined for brushed motors? Through its idle speed, or through average (or effective) terminal voltage?

Nick
Volante24 is offline Find More Posts by Volante24
Old Dec 15, 2009, 01:36 AM
F.O. 1-187
Joined Nov 2009
2 Posts
Okay, so for the really really dumb people (me in other words...), if I were to get a Losi 1/18th mini desert buggy, and I had my choice of a 7.4V 9400Kv, 7400Kv, or 6000Kv brushless system, which one would I use to get the most speed?
HotwireHobbies is offline Find More Posts by HotwireHobbies
Old Dec 15, 2009, 06:29 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,588 Posts
If you stick with the same battery on all of you're choices then the 9400kv motor would generaly give you more speed as it as more RPM per volt.

BUT

the 7000kv motor mite be able to run with a 3S battery as the 9400kv motor may not and then the 7000kv motor setup with 3S would be faster.

But unlikely that the 7000kv would run on 3S.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:23 PM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
This article certainly complements the subject being discussed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_constant
alexsmith is offline Find More Posts by alexsmith
Old Aug 24, 2013, 07:23 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
This thread is 7 years old and hasn't been updated in 4 years...
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 26, 2013, 03:41 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Ampang District
Joined Jan 2013
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
nice input though
janpirate is offline Find More Posts by janpirate
Old Sep 20, 2013, 02:56 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Sep 2013
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
What's your point? I just found this thread through Google while looking for an explanation of kv (I'm new to R/C) and the Wikipedia article was very helpful.
ChristianGeek is offline Find More Posts by ChristianGeek
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:54 AM
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
Hi Guys,
If I have a Tarot 4114/320KV motor, then which ESC would be suitable for it, and which props do I need?
Further more: is there any difference between ESC and ESC? (I've seen expensive against the "same" (different maker) but less cheaper.)

Thanks!
richiepic is offline Find More Posts by richiepic
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:18 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiepic View Post
Hi Guys,
If I have a Tarot 4114/320KV motor, then which ESC would be suitable for it, and which props do I need?
Further more: is there any difference between ESC and ESC? (I've seen expensive against the "same" (different maker) but less cheaper.)

Thanks!
This is about a plane, right? Maybe you will have better response in the planes section.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:28 AM
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
This is about a plane, right? Maybe you will have better response in the planes section.
Not really. I'm looking for something like this:
http://www.jamcopters.cz/en/tarot-t8...kv-ou-c86-p335

But I'd like to understand the motor-ESC-reliability threesome.
What makes you think that my question is plane related?
richiepic is offline Find More Posts by richiepic