HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:53 AM
I'd rather be flying...
New York City
Joined May 2005
1,133 Posts
Discussion
Light tail wheel suggestions for ultra mini stick

Light tail wheel suggestions for ultra mini stick ideas? Pics? Urls?

djdaveq is offline Find More Posts by djdaveq
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:24 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,287 Posts
I can't find the link, but on the Horizon website they list an-add on tail wheel for the mini will be available soon. With the preferred 480 engine, the minis come out a bit nose heavy anyway...about 1/4 oz (in the tail) nose heavy, so if the tailwheel assembly is 1/4 or so in weight, it ought to be just about right. If it's a little heavier, I always slide my 2100 battery as far back as I can get it, so there's plenty of room to move it forward if need be.

Also, wild, unsubstianted rumor is that the next run of minis will have a tailwheel pre-installed, as now all of E Flite's new releases do, so E flite does listen to us.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:30 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Hey now,
There are a fair number of prebuilt tail wheel sets available, Hyperion makes one that's pretty light.
Myself, I used a 1/2" GWS wheel (rubber tire on plastic rim), a bit of 1/16" music wire, a piece of old push rod housing, and an old servo horn.
I bent the wire into a question mark shape for the offset on the tail wheel, ran that up to the servo horn where I bent it to 45* then up to the base of the rudder where I bent it at 90* into the push rod tube glued and sewed to the rudder. Works great and weighs almost nothing.
I had everything but the wheel it self in my scrap bin and the wheels were $1.25 a pair.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:40 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
I used a Dubro wheel in .40 size.
Like Doc said, the mini has a tendancy to be nose heavy and the tailwheel goes a long way to correct that.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood