HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2006, 07:29 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
Discussion
Fournier RF-4 scratch build

I like the RF-4. I built a smaller one (80"ws) a few years ago (see here: http://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/fournier.htm ). During a recent thread here, I got the itch to build a bigger one, more true to scale. Long story short, I searched for 3 views, and started drawing. The drawings are complete enough to build from. I know there's going to be lots of changes and detailing to come, but for right now they are fine. In fact, if I don't say so myself they are mighty fine.

Also, I had the opportunity to get my parts laser cut. I have no experience in this area except for popping them out of their sheets. I've never produced a set of files for use on a laser cutter (or is it burner?). Lots to learn on this project. I'm giving it a go. I'm estimating this will be a long project, finishing in February. I'm doing this in real time and will update the thread often.

Since this >is< a motor glider I thought it'd be OK to post here rather than the Electric Scale Planes forum.

Fred Guilfoyle
Everett, WA.
https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Oct 23, 2006 at 07:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2006, 07:44 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
My plans. They are big, each is 36" x 85". Lots of work involved drawing them. Why yes, I do have a screw loose . But I am retired so I have plenty of time to invest in the project.

Wingspan of the model will be 115", Oh and it'll be electric powered. Probably an AXI 41xx on 4s2p 4300 Lipo, if I can keep it light enough.

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Oct 23, 2006, 07:48 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
One of my all time favorites, though I will say I would like a much smaller one. Something light and slow for quiet evening flying.

I've got drawings that I collected on the internet and also the issue of Aeromodeller (May '79) that has the three views, but I've never found either a picture or drawing of the retract mechanism. Can you point me to a source. I understand that even the Mick Reeves one is fixed gear.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 23, 2006, 07:49 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
Parts, parts, parts,.........

They turned out good. I'm excited. My burn files are also shown.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Oct 23, 2006 at 11:52 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 09:26 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
Pete, that's the one part of this build that has me confused as to what to do.
None of the sailplane retracts are high enough off the ground, that I know
of. I was thinking of using a Robart retract, but when push comes to shove,
I hate to pay the weight penalty. I've never had retracts so I'm
questioning if fixed is maybe the way to go, but the plane begs for
retracts. All suggestions welcomed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:20 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,686 Posts
Fred, this looks like a wonderful project. Take a look at this page http://shredair.com/rf4.html for ideas on the retract. E-mail me for details, and I'd be happy also to help with selection of a power system for your project.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:38 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
Dieter, thanks. That retract would be perfect,... if only I could shrink it down. My wheel is only 3" diameter. I've been encouraged to build my own retract, but that might be too hard. The rest of the airplane is straight forward.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:00 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
Fred,
Great to see you start the build, I like RF-4 OR -5. I would like to know what airfoil you have chosen for this bigger one. Regarding the retract unit, I have bought a Multiplex one (90mm wheel) from a hobby shop in Singapore during a trip there. When I open the box and check the list found that there is a big pc is missing. And I have email that shop and Mpx, but to no avail so far. I have given up and ask a friend who has machine shop to 'copy' one. That was my first time to go for a sailplane type retract unit and it had my quite fed up for sometime. If you want have an idea about built up one yourself, I could send you some pics of that unit still unassembled sitting on the shelf. Those sailplane type mechanical retract are not different to make if suitable machine is available, also takes bit of time too. By the way, I also admire you could retire at that 'young' , I wish I could do that.

David
C-MIC is offline Find More Posts by C-MIC
Old Oct 24, 2006, 07:10 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredAir
Fred, this looks like a wonderful project. Take a look at this page http://shredair.com/rf4.html for ideas on the retract. E-mail me for details, and I'd be happy also to help with selection of a power system for your project.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Hi Dieter,

Is that retract scale or approximately scale? It looks reasonably simple to make in a smaller size. Even the shock could be made with the car parts that my hobby shop carries.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:17 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,686 Posts
Pete, I doubt that's scale. It was custom made for the 2.5-scale CNC RF-4. I also thought it could be easy enough to copy for your own use, but then in Fred's case, a commercially available 1/4 or 3rd-scale retract might work also.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:12 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,609 Posts
Fred, looks great !

Just wondering which "Toaster" service you are using ?
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:24 AM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
Mike Hood, from Snohomish I think. He's open for business, if you need anything "toasted". I believe he has a web site I'll look for it. Missed ya at Yakima.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2006, 04:13 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,955 Posts
I've started with the easiest component,... makes me feel accomplished. I've already changed the drawings, horizontals and diagonals reduced in size from 1/4 to 1/8 thickness. There's something about seeing it in real life that makes you realize you over (or under) designed something.

As I build, I'm immediately making all changes and labeling on the drawing. When needed, the laser files are changed immediately as well. For instance the LE and TE can be made of thinnner material, and shimmed, so less planning and sanding is required later.

The laser cut parts for the Fin/Rudder fit absolutely perfect,... just like in store bought kits.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:28 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step
Mike Hood, from Snohomish I think. He's open for business, if you need anything "toasted". I believe he has a web site I'll look for it. Missed ya at Yakima.
Lake Stevens actually... Haven't put the effort into the website I should, but if you need anything cut, drop me a line at somesailor@gmail.com . Like Fred, I went into retirement early, but got sucked back into the rat race. It helps pay for some expensive toys, but limits my time to play with them.

Lemme know if you have some cool lines you want to shred up some balsa with.
SomeSailor is offline Find More Posts by SomeSailor
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:38 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,609 Posts
Fred, sorry re Yak ... my DG-202 is still broke after the Skagit misshap.
I didnt want to just show up with that silly Fox again !

SomeSailor: retired - RIGHT :-) me too
I have a Shopbot with a 96x48 bed.
It takes a big bite as I use 1/8" bits.
I use Rhino or Microstation and Profili.

Did Fred have you DO his Porter ?

You can PM me if ya dont wanna talk offline ( or not whatever. )

How large is your capacity ?
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay