HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2006, 06:55 AM
Great Lakes Guy
United States, MI, Farmington Hills
Joined Feb 2005
124 Posts
Discussion
Free CAD Software "Hull Design" !!!!!!!

I can't imagine this not showing up on this board before, but here it goes anyway!!

Found a nice little CAD program for deisigning hulls!! It's Kept simple yet gives you everything you need to design a hull, best of all its FREE. Gives complete hull specifications and will allow you to print a nice set of plans!! Looking forward to doing future Great Lake projects, and would like to share any plans I draw up!!!

FREE!SHIP

Jeff_Churill is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_Churill
Last edited by Jeff_Churill; Oct 23, 2006 at 08:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2006, 08:04 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,531 Posts
Looks interesting, I'm at work now and don't have time to look at it in depth but it looks like it has promise. Did you put this up here to push me into finishing my CNC router, like I don't have enough projects already. Design a hull, put a block of foam on the route, start cutting, one finished foam blank, plank over it or glass it. I have seen other hull programs but they had seemed a little rough but like I said this one may have promise. Thanks.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:04 AM
Vestby, Akershus, Norway
Joined Mar 2005
95 Posts
I love this program! I have used to make some coputer-models. I have yet not built any models from it!

Easy to use, and lot of nice readymade hulls in the design webpage! Seach for riva, and you find a nice model of the riva aquarama.

-Kjell
PunyV is offline Find More Posts by PunyV
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:04 AM
Great Lakes Guy
Joined Feb 2005
124 Posts
Well get off your duff so WE can start cutting some hulls!!!

Oh but I hear you...can't get anything done myself

Program outputs iges and many other formats for use with cutter path software and such.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:46 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,531 Posts
I originally started on amassing/ scrounging parts for a 4' by 8' router. Before I even started on it I realized that I had enough parts to build a medium and small sized one. The small one will be the first one that I start on, to get the bugs worked out on. After that then the big one will get built.

Not having looked at the CAD program yet, does it have the ability to digitize from an already made hull. That way you could re-create an existing hull. Who needs Dumas. LOL
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:57 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,731 Posts
Jeff_Churill said:

"I can't imagine this not showing up on this board before, but here it goes anyway!!

Found a nice little CAD program for deisigning hulls!! It's Kept simple yet gives you everything you need to design a hull, best of all its FREE. Gives complete hull specifications and will allow you to print a nice set of plans!! Looking forward to doing future Great Lake projects, and would like to share any plans I draw up!!!"

Now isn't this just dandy! As if there aren't enough temptations offered on this forum---.

Jeff, what do you have on hull lines for the State Class tugs of the Great Lakes Towing Company? These are the 81+ footers built in the 1920's, and still running, though now converted to diesel.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Last edited by der kapitan; Oct 23, 2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 09:03 PM
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
323 Posts
Free ship

I have been using it to rescale the hull for the Steam Tug Portland.

Dave
Phoneman2005 is offline Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Old Oct 24, 2006, 07:45 AM
Great Lakes Guy
Joined Feb 2005
124 Posts
Quote:
Jeff, what do you have on hull lines for the State Class tugs of the Great Lakes Towing Company? These are the 81+ footers built in the 1920's, and still running, though now converted to diesel.
Have a copy of the Toledo which I think is what your looking for. I'll check when I get home tonight.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 02:07 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,731 Posts
Thanks Jeff, but I have the drawings for Toledo, which was a 78' "city" class tug.
GLT enlarged the basic hull for the bigger "state" class, but not proportionally, as near as I can determine. All of the smaller tugs are gone now, but the larger ones converted to diesel in the late 1950's and are still at work today. Toledo was 17' x 78', and the state classes are from 81' to 86' long, with a 20' beam.

By the way, I have an operating Toledo in 1/32 scale.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 04:46 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,861 Posts
Does anything else come along with this 'free' download? Like keystroke trackers, trojans, worms, etc?

I have found that most things in life are not truly free. Just wondering about this one, that's all.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 24, 2006, 08:12 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Does anything else come along with this 'free' download? Like keystroke trackers, trojans, worms, etc?

I have found that most things in life are not truly free. Just wondering about this one, that's all.
You're scaring me, Kmot. I'm still not fully recovered from a Trojan horse virus of the "rootkit" family that invaded my system in July.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:36 PM
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
323 Posts
Der Kapitan

I do not think you have any thing to worry about I have had the software on my computer for the last 6 months and no ill effects.
Only thing that I did note on my first post on the subject is that the bmp file for my design was over 900 kb and limit to upload is 100 kb.

Dave
Phoneman2005 is offline Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:24 AM
Houston Area
Joined Oct 2006
34 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it either. It's from SourceForge which is a development site for people to share truly free, open-source, software.
not_in_houston is offline Find More Posts by not_in_houston
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:03 AM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
I work in the Computer industry. I trust very little open source code unless I go over it myself. On the larger programs, this is nearly impossible. Open source does not mean "it's safe", it means: "you get what you pay for" and warranties/guarantees are not among them. So, use at your own risk. It's probably clean, but I'd be monitoring my IP packets for a while to make sure some server someplace isn't monitoring my PC. You can't even trust open source from a major company unless it's downloaded directly from them. Mirror sites and other sites can have intentionally corrupted code on them.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, but at the very least, definitely have your virus software and intrusion detection software updated and functional before trying anything of this sort.
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks