Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 28, 2007, 09:43 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,571 Posts
All the Short kits have been shipped and I'm still working on several RTF Boomers. I'm cutting and glueing everything like a assembly line, because its faster that way to build several planes.

But now I'm getting a few questions about the short kit build, so I'll try to post some pic's to help. But you need to read this whole thread first then ask what you don't understand.

The short kits already have the wings cut into 2 halves and have the booms fitted and glued in. You should mark cord line and cut your motor mount before you glue the wing halves together for the IPS motor. Outrunner tube mounts can be glued in after or before the halves are glued.
The motor shaft of your choice needs to be in aline with the cord line and the booms. So when you glue on your motor mount, check it with a stright edge to make sure its in line with the booms.
If you use a IPS motor the stick mount should be at least 3" and the stick should end at the trailing edge. Make sure you don't glue where the motor slips on the stick.

The supplied CA hinges can be used in the supplied balsa ailerons as well as depron or EPP control surfaces. I releave cut them with a hole punch to free them up a bit.
Make 3 slots in the balsa, about 1" from the ends and one in the middle, using a #11 xacto blade. Make sure to try to get the slot in the middle and stright in. After a few forward swipes of the blade in the slot, swipe it backwards to clean out the slot, then test fit the CA hinge.
Next sand a 45 degree bevel on the top and bottom of the aileron where the hinges were fitted. Then I glue in the hinges with 15min epoxy to give me some working time. Just make sure there is NO eopxy on the part of the hinge that remains outside the slot, if there is, wipe it off before it sets.
Put the aileron up next to the wing and mark the hinge points, then cut the slots in the EPP wing carefully, not too deep or wide. Then test fit before glueing, glue and wipe off any excess glue that comes out. Heres some pic's, I'll post more later. Butch

Just a note. The WildWing balsa elevons, that we use as ailerons, have a wild kind of decoration notch cut out of them on the outboard side. I don't like them, because they weaken the aileron. If you look close at the aileron pic, you can see I took and glued a small piece of balsa in to fill the notch. And if you cross the grains of the balsa, it will be stronger.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Last edited by Butch777; Apr 07, 2007 at 11:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:16 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Hi Butch, Here's my version of your boomer. I used the wing from a HL Shinden kit, and follower your general directions. I finally got to fly it for mor than a few min and didn't end in distruction!

My first flight had the CG too far back, tho it was at the point of best glide with no gear mounted. Today I moved it forward and it flew pretty good. It wants to fly at a pretty good clip, not a slow flyer, but managable. Rolls nice and axial, quick in the turns and loops outside and in. It is abit wtitchy tho. This wing is smaller than the ones you use, so I quess it has to fly faster. When I get used to it and feel the CG is really right, I'll mount the battery in the pod and neaten up the wires.

I'm using a 20T Strong cd kit w/9050dd prop and 1300 2 cell.

Thanks for your design and help with my questions.

Hey you're right, it will take some wind just fine!! was blowing 10-15 today.

How slow does your bigger wing version fly?

Thanks again------ Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:17 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,571 Posts
Congrads on your maiden. I've had some great and not so great maidens.

The Wild Wing Boomer has about a 250sq in wing area, at 6.5ozs. Compair that to the GWS Pico Tiger Moth, that uses the same motor and has 288sq in wing area, at 7-9ozs. So the IPS Boomer version flys slow enough for the kids to chase it around the park, at its slowest speed.
I'm gathering the parts for a 25" Ultra-Lite, Wild Wing Boomer, that will be around 2ozs, hopefully fly real slow and maybe take a bit of wind. But it takes time to figure out how to keep everything super lite.
Plus I've sold a few RTF Boomers and just about got them ready to test fly before I ship them, so I've been a bit busy! Butch
Old Apr 08, 2007, 12:35 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,571 Posts
I had to test fly all the RTF Boomers I built before shipping or pick-up. One of them is a beginners IPS version, so I've been waiting for some calm wind to fine tune it. I had maidened it the other day in some decent winds.
I got impatient and decited to fly it again today just before dark. I called the airport just before I left and the winds were 15mph, guesting to 19mph. I thought, oh well, the owner lives in a windy area, so I may as well! The only fear I had was if a wind shear/gust slamed it into the ground. I really want to send it to its new owner with out any damage.
I took my outrunner version as well. It of course flew great. At just about 7.5ozs, the wind was throwing it around some so I cranked up the speed and it handled the wind no problem. I was hopeing the wind would die a bit, but no luck.
I had changed out the prop on the IPS version, from the 8043 to a 8060, to give me a bit more power to get out of a tight spot. The 8043 draws 2.2amps on a 3 cell, which is fine, but the 8060 draws 2.5amps, which would wear out the motor faster, but if you only use it in bursts, it's ok.
So I gave it a toss and off she went. It flew just fine. It had enough power to fight the strong wind. I didn't need full power much at all. So I had fun.

Heres some picks I need to post for the Short kit guys. If you have any questions, just post them here. Thanks, Butch
Old Apr 10, 2007, 07:28 PM
Joined Mar 2005
181 Posts
Do you happen to have any video of these Boomers in flight. They look like a lot of fun.
Fearless Flight is offline Find More Posts by Fearless Flight
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:26 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,571 Posts
I know I really need to get someone to do a video. A couple of the guys I fly with said they'd be happy to do a video, but we keep missing each other on flying days.
I'll keep trying and get one done soon. Butch
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:54 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Feb 2007
2,024 Posts
your planes all look great. i have been looking for a light, slow flying plane that can take wind. Looks like i found a perfect match. So how are the RTF Boomers going.

keep up the good work!
flyin C is offline Find More Posts by flyin C
Old Apr 12, 2007, 01:36 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,571 Posts
I got all the short kits and RTF Boomers done finally. Hopefully everyones happy. It took a bit longer than I wanted it to, but they had to be built right.
The problem is, that there's several different ways to build them and several motor and batt combo's. I'll post some more detailed pics soon. Butch
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:13 PM
Joined Mar 2005
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin C
your planes all look great. i have been looking for a light, slow flying plane that can take wind. Looks like i found a perfect match. So how are the RTF Boomers going.

keep up the good work!
That's for sure. Wouldn't you like to be Gene Bond and Butch777's neighbor. Their garages must be like a smorgasboard of fun to fly planes that are just looking for someone to fly them.
Fearless Flight is offline Find More Posts by Fearless Flight
Old Apr 12, 2007, 04:12 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,571 Posts
Here's some more detailed pics for the short kits.
The EPP tail is best for beginners. It does weigh a bit more, so the batt needs to go forward a bit to get the C/G right.

So far, for the slow to medium speed Wild-Cat Boomers, a C/G of about
4-1/8th inchs forward of the trailing edge works best. Thats on a 3.5" narrowed WW, like the Short kits or RTF's. Butch
Old Apr 12, 2007, 05:57 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,571 Posts
Na, the garage is full of Corvette's. I'm a restorer. But both extra bedrooms are full and my RC workshop is the kitchen table! Sometimes we have to eat at the desk!
But my Wife's real cool. The other day I was trying to find a place to hang a El Bee wing and so I hung it in the hall way. My Wife walked by and said: Hum!!!! Looks like there's a plane that landed in the hall way.
We don't have any kids, I don't smoke or drink(anymore), go to church on Sunday and She has a E-starter, Cub and a PiccoZ heli. So you can say; I'm pretty lucky! Butch
Old Apr 14, 2007, 06:02 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to this thread and I haven't even read through all of it but I am pretty sure that I would like to build a slo-cat boomer! What do I ned to know and where do I get the stuff?
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Apr 14, 2007, 06:34 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,571 Posts
Hey Ty Horn,
You really need to read the whole Thread to understand more about the different types of Boomers. Most of the Boomers we've built here are Parkflyers that do well in the wind.
I've started a Slowflyer, but its on the back burner. And I've started a Speed version (50mph+) which is also on the back burner.
The Slo-Cat was built using a Slofly Wing, that is not sold anymore, and that's why we use the Wild Wing. The WW is also on sale most the time and its molded EPP so its stiffer and has a smoother finish.
Almost any Flying Wing can be used, even Zaggies and larger. I've got a couple extra Mini Speed Wings and a couple Ele Bee's I may build as Boomers as well. Butch
Old Apr 14, 2007, 08:36 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Thank you Butch,
I am very interested. I haven't built much other than several Aero Ace home builds. And I haven't flown much other than a Hobbyzone SuperCub. I have built a gas powered trainer but it is 4 channels and I am a little hesitant to fly it before I get some more experience with a less crashable plane!
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Apr 14, 2007, 09:05 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,571 Posts
The IPS version Wild-Cat Boomer(6.5oz if built light) will fly slow enough for a beginner. I still have a couple Slo-Cat Boomers, that are outrunner powered and built light(6oz). I use them for training on a buddybox on windy days instead of a Slow Stick or, Pico Stick, Cub, Sky Scooter or Wing Dragon. The Boomers handle a crash tons better and are easy to repair. Plus there able to fly in high winds once You can.

I've got enough to put together a couple Short kits. The Wing, is preped and the booms installed. It comes with matched ailerons, CA hinges, quality push rods, horns, pattern for the 2 tails and dimensions for the elevator, plus pre-shaped fuselage and canopy for $45.00 plus shipping. I can supply you with a new IPS motor or outrunner, ESC, Props, etc and even do a bit more assembling if you more money than skill. Or I can sell you the EPP to shape your own fuselage for cheap.
But there really very easy to build and for the tails, motors, and batts, many types can be used.
But for a beginner, the lighter the better, so the slower it will fly and the crashes will be less damaging. And once you master it, it can be flown in a small area, like in the street or half a basketball court. Butch