Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:20 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,464 Posts
I've got some tapered stock, but I bought it for a different plane. I will try to find some more and get it tomorrow. If I can't find it, I'll use the ones I've got and get more for that other plane later.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:52 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,464 Posts
I cut off the ailerons and bought some 1.5" tapered balsa aileron stock. I also bought Sparky's book on building with foam. I want to cover this foam plane, but I don't want to use fiberglass. It's heavy. So is wood. I couldn't find the hard shell stuff you paint on. But I was advised to try either brown packing paper, or silkspan. Silkspan, being the lighter choice, might be possible. Still thinking about it. I might have to get some advice by some more experienced foam builders here.

In the meantime, construction continues.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:36 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,577 Posts
You got to make sure the thick part of the aileron stock is not thicker than the trailing edge of the wing. Sometimes I even cut off 1/8" or so of the wing trailing edge to thicken it up.
The early Stryker's just has a flat plate foam elevon, covered in plastic.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:11 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,464 Posts
(I know that...)

Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:18 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,464 Posts
Butch, you are a GREAT help, and I love this thread you started. Thank you very much for everything you do!

Now an update on my Boomer. I have decided to sand the foam surfaces the best that I can, and then use silkspan with minwax poly-acrylic furniture finish to stick it, as advised to me by Sparky. The silkspan isn't quite as strong as fiberglass, but still adds great strength to the airplane without adding the weight. Because of this, I probably won't actually install the new ailerons until after the silkspan is applied and complete. I did cut off the old ailerons and installed 4 balsa hardpoints on the trailing edge of each wing for the hinges. I bought 3 types of hinges, and still deciding on which to use. The new ailerons are tapered 1.5" balsa stock, but as you mentioned Butch, I need to sand them down at their base so that they are not wider than the trailing edge of the wing. They're just a little bit too thick. I'll put them on the sanding belt.
By using tapered aileron balsa stock, I am trying to improve on the aerodynamics of the early Stryker.

There is slight movement in the twin boom tail when I pull side to side. Not enough to cause a change in flight, but it does put stress on the base of the wing. Thicker CF reinforcement rods is one way to deal with that, but skinning the foam wing is another way. Plus, I'll make twin dorsal fins underneath, to fit in the grooves provided. but I think I'll use lite-ply instead of my 3-layer balsa ply I used for the tail, just because it'll work better as a skid. It'll also keep the motor mount off the ground while landing.

I've asked my son to keep the foam bumper material that he encounters at his body shop he works at. I'll see him this weekend, and hopefully, he'll have some for me. But another material that can be used is blue foam from the flower shops. Pat Tritle uses blue foam to make a form for fiberglassing over. I'm tempted to use that method to make the fairing around the motor and the rear of the fuselage. Something that can clamshell off, for easy access to the electronics. The bumper foam would work well too, but I don't have enough of that. (Maybe I will after this weekend though).

Thanks again Butch. This is a great idea you have.
By the way, I found an all-foamy 30" wingspan Sea Vixen ARF for sale cheap. If I weren't already building a boomer, I'd get that. (I might anyway, since it's a ducted fan).

On that, has anybody tried to build an EDF Boomer?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 09:42 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,577 Posts
"On that, has anybody tried to build an EDF Boomer?"

I've thought about it several times, but the flying field we flew at was a school and the neighbors complained about our faster Flying Wings, so I never got around to a EDF.
I still have all the parts to build one setting around here some where.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:38 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777 View Post
"On that, has anybody tried to build an EDF Boomer?"

I've thought about it several times, but the flying field we flew at was a school and the neighbors complained about our faster Flying Wings, so I never got around to a EDF.
I still have all the parts to build one setting around here some where.
There are a couple of EDF Boomer ARF Foamies out there. One's a DeHavilland Vampire and the other's a Sea Vixen. Both are really neat looking jets. I'd like to get one myself. Just can't decide which.

I've seen the Vampire on YouTube and it appears to really be capable of floating.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:06 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,464 Posts
Wow, the silkspan skin has made the foam wings SO much stronger and stiffer! And it's still very light. However, it becomes obvious where I should have spent more time sanding Oh well. Looks pretty good.

My "quick" project is turning out not to be so quick.
I hope I'm not overthinking this, but maybe I will end up with a great plane.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:34 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,464 Posts
Don't mean to use this as my build thread, but I'm not the only one. That's why there are 64 pages to this thread.

Anyway, I am done with silkspanning the foam Stryker wings. It's impressively strong and stiff. I'm surprised a single thin layer of silkspan adds that much strength. Thanks to Sparky for the tip. This weekend, I will make huge strides to finish it up. I need to use auto body filler to smooth out the nose so that it's fit to paint. I need to hinge the new larger ailerons and mount them. I need to finish fabricating my canopy, which will double as an access lid to the battery tray. And the last thing I need to do is build a fairing around the pusher motor.

Then balance the Boomer, paint it, and install the electronics.
I think I'll go with a USAF motif. White underneath, camo on top, and stars and bars insignia. Seems to be the most appropriate for the looks of this model.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:17 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude View Post
Don't mean to use this as my build thread, but I'm not the only one. That's why there are 64 pages to this thread..

It's good to keep as much Boomer info in one place, so others interested don't have to search all over the place to find it. So post all you want.

I picked up a few Stryker 180's and stripped out the rc gear and sold the airframes, to build some smaller EPP planes.
I'm currently working on a Hacker Baby Zoom (25"er cut down to 22"s).
I got it down from 7ozs flying to 3ozs, using the Spektrum micro gear.
Later I'll take a small Flying Wing core and build a micro Boomer, probably well under 3ozs all in EPP, with a light wing loading. Butch
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:37 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,464 Posts
I would LOVE to see a few of your microboomers that you develop. What a great idea. Fly them in your backyard!
I also really love your EDF idea. I strongly suggest buying Keith Spark's book on "How to Build with Foam". Lots of EDF creations he's done, and he's been nice enough to answer me personally on some questions I had with my Boomer build. Here's the link.
There are also many really great plastic parts he makes and sells.

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...228e081c743b95

So anyway, I have really struggled with how to build the center "fuselage" section of my Boomer and have spent the last couple of weeks with gears turning furiously in my head. The only real progress I have made in the past week was getting those wings covered with a layer of silkspan tissue, using Minwax acrylic urethane satin furniture finish to adhere and seal it. You really should try this technique, Butch. Boy, you talk about stiffening up a wing!!!!! Save the extra CF rod, this does a better job. It also REALLY smooths out the surface for painting.
But if you do, make sure you try to sand off all the casting nubbies that are all over the surface of the wing, because it shows up if you don't. I missed some on the underside of the wing because I got impatient, but this was only my first experience at doing this.

You know how the servos on the Strykers are on the bottom and the servo arm sticks up through the top of the wing? It's obvious why they do this, because it's a belly lander and that avoids stripping gears in the servos. However, I have decided to cut and glue some ventral fins that will double as skids, but out of something tougher than balsa ply (although the balsa ply is very strong). I'll epoxy this to the bottom of the twin booms, and this will allow me to keep the servo arms and pushrods underneath the wing. I'll get another 4 square inches of wing area doing this, and I'll also improve the looks of the plane too. The silkspan skin covers the servo arm slot beautifully.

I've also decided how to proceed with my canopy, which I bought from Keith Sparks website also. I wish I bought a pilot figure. I might. Then I can detail a cockpit and glue the canopy over the cockpit. Then the whole cockpit/canopy assembly can lift off to reveal the battery/equipment tray underneath. So this has to be built over the next few weeks. I'll order a military pilot plastic bust figure today probably and start that when it comes in.

In the meantime, my goal for this weekend is to install the ailerons and hinges into the hardpoints on the wing, cut and install the ventral fins, cut and install a nose skid (so it'll be a tricycle skid) and use body filler to smooth out the hand-carved nose extension and sand.
That still leaves building the motor fairing, which I've really struggled with.
Old May 01, 2013, 09:44 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,464 Posts
After a discussion with Pat Tritle, I will be making the fuselage center section out of fiberglass, using a blue foam form to build the fiberglass over. Now that I've finally figured out HOW to do it, hopefully I can get the major part of it built this weekend.

He really liked the boomer concept though. He said it looks like a lot of fun to fly or slope soar, with great wind penetration.
Old May 01, 2013, 08:06 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,577 Posts
Looks like your really doing it up with this build.
Just remember, the heavier it ends up, the longer the landing strip you'll need.

With the standard WildWing Boomers and a 24g outrunner, the plane would land vertical in a decent wind at 6-7ozs flying.
When I up graded the motor to a high speed inrunner, flying weight about 11-12 ozs, it was a totally different plane and landed more like a pylon plane, needing lots room and a good stable approach.
Old May 02, 2013, 08:29 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,464 Posts
I believe I am going to hit at around 20 ounces flying weight, give or take.
Old May 02, 2013, 08:26 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,577 Posts
The early brushed stock Strykers were around 22ozs, so you should be ok.