HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:40 AM
United States, MA, Shrewsbury
Joined Mar 2013
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777 View Post
Thanks for the info.
I used to buy the Chuck gliders at Walmart years ago, but didn't realize they had a newer one. I'll have to check it out, since my Wife works there.

The Chuck gliders were good for experimenting with, usually the wings. I still have a Thumper(my design) pusher trainer with one of those wings, we use for windy days.

Do they look like regular styrofoam? Or something better?

It looks like it could be a easy twin motor set-up as well! Butch
it's foam, but it's an extremely dense kind of foam, not EPP, but it's way stiffer and less fragile feeling than the old chuck gliders felt. it can still be dented if you smack it edge-on to the corner of a wall or something, but it doesn't seem nearly as breakable.
joekitch is offline Find More Posts by joekitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:06 AM
United States, MA, Shrewsbury
Joined Mar 2013
86 Posts
here's a really sloppy mock-up of what i was thinking. again, this is a sky riders turbo burner, not the air hogs titan, hence the really weird colors between the fuse and wing.
also in reality i'd slice the fuse longways down the center (with a band saw) to make the twin booms, otherwise i'd need to buy a second turbo burner, no thanks.

still trying to research ways to reinforce this high density polystyrene through glues or tape or whatever
joekitch is offline Find More Posts by joekitch
Last edited by joekitch; Mar 24, 2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:26 AM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,813 Posts
Joe, instead of slicing the fuse for the booms, please consider using cf tubing for the booms. It will be much stronger. Here are a couple of foam glider conversions I did several years ago.

About reinforcing the wings, If you remove some of the sweep, you can use a single spar to strengthen the span.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2013, 02:21 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,573 Posts
Nice looking Boomers!

I built a couple Boomers at first with more of a straight wing, but had to build a longer nose and move the batt way out front.

I found out that a decent amount of wing sweep moves the C/G back and adds a good amount of dihedral effect and so it flys more stable, even inverted.
Then we used SlowStick wing joiners to epoxy the carbonfiber spars into in the middle of the wing to use span wise spars. After a while I made my own.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:43 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,323 Posts
I like the idea of a boomer. I've got the motor and guts from another plane that was totalled, and I think I'll build a foam boomer around it. Motor will be a pusher.
But with 60 pages, there's a lot of reading I'd still like to do.

Anyway, subscribed...
builderdude is online now Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:46 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,573 Posts
One of the things I learned building different Boomers, is a decent amount of wing sweep moves the C/G back, so the nose doesn't need to be so long.
And the wing sweep adds a dihedral effect, which works right side up or inverted, to give the plane some added stability, making it easier to fly, especially on gusty windy days. Butch
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:29 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,323 Posts
That right there is what I was hoping for, since we in West Texas have a pretty severe wind problem. It's not so much the wind, it's the ground turbulence that's so bad.

I'm just trying to decide what method I should use to build the foam wings. There seem to be a number of different methods that I've seen used.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:51 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,573 Posts
What size wingspan?
What type of foam?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:12 AM
United States, IL, Hanover Park
Joined May 2005
129 Posts
Butch777, Have you by any chance tried to use any of the wing cores from the superflyrc versions?
gstreaks is online now Find More Posts by gstreaks
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:16 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,323 Posts
Quote:
What size wingspan?
What type of foam?
Butch, I'd like about a 60 inch wingspan, if I can keep it light enough. I'd like to keep it lighter than 20 ounces. The lighter, the better.

No idea what type of foam. I've been really scratching my head over that. Also the building technique. There seem to be a lot of different techniques.
I am open to suggestions.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:21 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstreaks View Post
Butch777, Have you by any chance tried to use any of the wing cores from the superflyrc versions?
I haven't seen there stuff, have a link?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:32 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,573 Posts
60" is a fairly good size, but 20ozs would be a tuff job.
Although, I'm building a 45" EPP, Ultimate Bipe-Lite, that I'm hoping to be about 20-22ozs, with either a 400 or 450 outrunner.
I recently picked up a Windrider Elbee, 48"s to someday build a standard Boomer out of.
I like the Windrider Wings, because there molded EPP and don't need as much reinforcement.

I've build dozens of EPS(styrofoam) planes, but after building dozens of EPP planes, I won't hardly build anything other than EPP. I like screw around flying, low buzzes, tight turns and loops, even on a windy day and EPP is king on windy days.

Did you watch the Boomer video here on page 9, post 125. Tell me what you think.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 01:01 AM
United States, IL, Hanover Park
Joined May 2005
129 Posts
Quote:
I haven't seen there stuff, have a link?
Yah, I always forget to add the link....

www.superflyrc.com

they have 4 differnt wingspans
teensie @ 12"
mini @ 20 "
hyper @ ?? I forget maybe 23"
and super @27"
then they went so far as to create inserts for the super that go between the two wing halfs to increase the span by 3, 5, 7, or 11 inches
gstreaks is online now Find More Posts by gstreaks
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:42 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,323 Posts
Quote:
60" is a fairly good size, but 20ozs would be a tuff job.
Although, I'm building a 45" EPP, Ultimate Bipe-Lite, that I'm hoping to be about 20-22ozs, with either a 400 or 450 outrunner.
I recently picked up a Windrider Elbee, 48"s to someday build a standard Boomer out of.
I like the Windrider Wings, because there molded EPP and don't need as much reinforcement.

I've build dozens of EPS(styrofoam) planes, but after building dozens of EPP planes, I won't hardly build anything other than EPP. I like screw around flying, low buzzes, tight turns and loops, even on a windy day and EPP is king on windy days.

Did you watch the Boomer video here on page 9, post 125. Tell me what you think.
I love the boomer you made. It's gorgeous and looks very good in flight. I actually do have a 5 ft Super Gryphon, but I really hate to alter that beautiful classic airplane. It would look good converted to a boomer though. Here's a pic. (It's the plane on the left).

Like I said, I don't want to alter that plane.
So you look for the typical EPP foam flying wing and convert those? That's a good idea. Your Boomer on page 9 in that video is almost exactly like what I had in mind. The wing shape is a little different, but very similar.

It's really tempting to do a balsa built-up boomer, but that defeats the purpose of throwing something together real quick that I could fly on windy days.

You know what a great looking boomer was? The Estes Stratoblaster. Somewhere, I've seen a video of one converted to a pusher prop. If I can find it, I'll attach it.

Estes Strato Blaster R/C Plane (2 min 6 sec)
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:58 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,323 Posts
I found one I think I'd like for boomer conversion!
It's a Chinese ripoff of the Stryker flying wing. It's almost the right size and close to the right weight. It's 53" and weighs 18 ounces. For only $64, I really wouldn't mind altering this into a boomer. I think it has potential.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skywalker-Fa...ht_3860wt_1092

Anyway, I'm putting in an order for it.
I am going to have to build a little bit of a fuselage nose for it to offset the weight of the twin boom tail, so it'll look a little different. But I almost can't go wrong.
The wing is close to the right shape I was thinking of, and I have the powerful pusher motor out of the AXN Floater jet as well as the CF rods and servos I pulled out of that.

What do you make your tail surfaces out of? Balsa, or foam?
I'm thinking the CF rods can be used to transport the pushrods. One for the rudder and one for the elevator.