EPP Fly
Wiesbaden, Germany
Joined Oct 2005
22 Posts
WildWing with Boomer and DevilRay Winglets

Hello,
I have seen an UAV wing with special winglets. Please have a look at:
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...StampAscending
It came to my mind to use the wing of an old Silverlit X-Twin Eagle plane (25x9 cm = 10x3.5"). For me, the model is now more stable to fly.
For more details please look at www.rudisflugis.de "Die Modelle/WildWing" (please use the google translation tool:
http://translate.google.de/translate...hl=de&ie=UTF-8)
Has anyone else already made experience with such kind of winglets? It would be interesting to know.
Greetings, Rudy
Rudi48 is offline Find More Posts by Rudi48
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2008, 06:13 PM
still learning
west Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2007
409 Posts
Rudi48 - those winglets and the article are interesting. Thank you.

For me, flying the wild wing boomer with ailerons and a separate elevator control on the boom is much easier to fly than the wild wing boomer flown with only an elevon setup (no elevator control on the boomer).

Flown with elevons only, the plane was too responsive (although maybe I could have dialed the responsiveness out with reduced rates and exponential in the transmitter). But I think the elevator control on the boom behind the ailerons (like butch says) really makes the plane easier to control.

Also, thanks for your great webpage.
aeroknot is offline Find More Posts by aeroknot
Old Nov 02, 2008, 06:16 PM
still learning
west Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2007
409 Posts
Looking at the article photo, it looks like their curly wingtips extend behind the TE somewhat....
aeroknot is offline Find More Posts by aeroknot
Old Nov 02, 2008, 11:24 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper135
Hey guys have you tried slapping on an EDF motor unit to the WWboomer? Butch any suggestions on what EDF unit would be perfect for one of the boomers you sent me, I would like to make an EDF version of it just for fun
They have great deals here:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7888
but which one, I have no experience with EDF units at all...

Thanks,

Jasper
I don't have much experiance with EDF's but I just picked up a Illusion fuselage w/motor/fan and I'm going to mount a WildWing on it and make it a parkflyer.
Others have talked about a RDF WildWing, but I haven't seen much info.
I would think to mount it would be easy. You'd just have to figure out the right size fan set-up and batt to get the C/G right.

I have a Twister, but haven't had a chance to finish carbonfiber reinforceing it yet. Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Nov 27, 2008, 03:07 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving All!
With about a dozen Boomers to fly, I'm working on a few different planes.
A couple of the guys I fly with are finishing there 24g WW Boomers soon.
Tomorrow our group has a "Day after Thanksgiving Day" flight.
It looks like the rain is letting up, so it looks like a go.
For the local guys, we'll be at Dublin Elementry on Vomac Rd at about 10:00 to 12 noon. We fly parkflyers first and then the noisy pushers last.
Theres plenty of airspace for several flyers. Butch
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:09 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
Some of the guys went to combat with another group. Heres a video of them buzzing around;
Baylands 12/13/2008 Combat Day (2 min 29 sec)
Old Jan 02, 2009, 10:22 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Butch, I think I posted a while ago that I was FINALLY going to build the boomer ARF's from you, but this time I really am !

So I'm looking at all the parts, I have the 3M 4693H adhesive, some 5min epoxy and am ready to do to it - but I have some questions (which I hopefully have not asked before).

- Do you sand a hemisphere trench into the tails so they cup the booms before glueing? or do you just butt the edge square?

- I see you've used the Hextronic 5g servos. With all your flights are you satisfied with them? I have them on hand but none of the GWS Pico servos.

- I've got the 24g blue wonder with the short motor shaft. Did you find a satisfactory way to adapt this motor to use the GWS 8060 slowfly prop?

- can you point me to a picture showing how you embedded the motor mount tube into the wing cores?

Sorry for all the questions. Getting back into flying and after seeing your recent videos I really want to get this thing together!

Thx,
Dave

Edit: - The instructions say to "cut the rx bay through to the top" and the picture shows the whole bay cut through. Why such a big hole?
Probedude is offline Find More Posts by Probedude
Last edited by Probedude; Jan 03, 2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 05:27 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probedude
Butch, I think I posted a while ago that I was FINALLY going to build the boomer ARF's from you, but this time I really am !

So I'm looking at all the parts, I have the 3M 4693H adhesive, some 5min epoxy and am ready to do to it - but I have some questions (which I hopefully have not asked before).

- Do you sand a hemisphere trench into the tails so they cup the booms before glueing? or do you just butt the edge square?
(You can do it either way, sometimes I sand a slight grove in the bottom of the tail to center the tail to the boom easier).

- I see you've used the Hextronic 5g servos. With all your flights are you satisfied with them? I have them on hand but none of the GWS Pico servos.
(The Picos seem to be one of the best servos around. I have about 50+ in use for many years without any problems, But we have been using the HXT-500 in our combat Boomers and others planes and they seem to hold up well so far!)

- I've got the 24g blue wonder with the short motor shaft. Did you find a satisfactory way to adapt this motor to use the GWS 8060 slowfly prop?
(A adapter is readly available for the 3mm shaft, but you have to drill out the GWS props to fit. I start with a smaller drill bit and work my way up. Sometimes I take a threaded shaft of another motor, like a GWS IPS motor and install it into the 24g outrunner. The first batch of 24g outrunners I got from UnitedHobbies a long while ago, had threaded shafts and a GWS prop just bolted on.

- can you point me to a picture showing how you embedded the motor mount tube into the wing cores? (I'll look for a pic)

Sorry for all the questions. Getting back into flying and after seeing your recent videos I really want to get this thing together!

Thx,
Dave

Edit: - The instructions say to "cut the rx bay through to the top" and the picture shows the whole bay cut through. Why such a big hole?
(Once you glue on the fuselage, you won't be able to get into the receiver bay, unless you cut the hole through to the top and use the cut-out piece for the hatch.) Butch
Old Jan 04, 2009, 01:09 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probedude
I use a 24g blue wonder with a short motor shaft in pusher mode with a GWS 8060 slowfly prop on another plane.
I got the blue wonder and a prop saver from Lazertoyz.com.
My prop saver had a conical end for the prop to go over (not sure if Lazertoyz
sells this model any more).
The prop saver goes over the motor shaft and tightens by turning some screws.
The prop fits quite well on the conical end of the prop saver after I rubberband the prop to the prop saver.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jan 04, 2009, 12:17 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama
My prop saver had a conical end for the prop to go over (not sure if Lazertoyz
sells this model any more).
The prop saver goes over the motor shaft and tightens by turning some screws.
The prop fits quite well on the conical end of the prop saver after I rubberband the prop to the prop saver.
Thanks. I've made and bought those prop savers before. They are lightweight.

I've got a pair of collet style adapters but they will extend the prop rearward so the compensate I'd have to place the motor even more forward, plus I need to ream the prop. . . Wish I had some longer threaded replacement motor shafts for the 24g motor.

So far I've got the booms, wing halves, ailerons, servos installed/glued together. Now I'm off to go sand a groove in the tails to sit on the booms (boy was it tough to get a straight hole in the tails for the stiffener!)

Hope to have it all together today with the exception of the motor mount since I need to figure out what to do about the prop.

Edit: Found Butch's post here on swapping out the 24g motors shaft
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=342

I'm going to go this route - it'll make life easier since I'll be sticking to GWS props for this.
Last edited by Probedude; Jan 04, 2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 07:47 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
One of the other Boomer builders found a eaiser shaft to use. I picked up a pack of 3 from UnitedHobbies/HobbyCity.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5274

Heres a pic, left to right, new 1300kv outrunner with non-threaded shaft, then shaft/nut assy from UnitedHobbies and next one of my original 1300's that came with the threaded shaft.
To make it less prone to shaft bending because of a prop strike, you could slide the shaft in more, moving the prop closer to the motor and take a micro saw and cut a new slot in the end of the shaft for the C clip and cut off the excess shaft. Butch
Old Jan 04, 2009, 09:10 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777
One of the other Boomer builders found a eaiser shaft to use. I picked up a pack of 3 from UnitedHobbies/HobbyCity.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5274
Cool! Thanks! Suppose one could also buy a metric die and cut the threads longer/closer to the endbell.

Does anyone know if there is a 'rule of thumb' regarding what clear space a prop should have to keep the thrust from being affect by air blocking structures? Like if I were to get the prop right up to the trailing edge of the WW boomer, is that a no no? (too much turbulence or?)
Old Jan 04, 2009, 10:19 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
The Boomer swinging a large prop doesn't make too much noise, but the closer the prop is to the trailing edge, the louder it gets.
Plus if you hit hard, the prop will actually flex forward and hit the trailing edge.
I'd give it about 3/4" to 1" clearance. Butch
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:19 AM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Maiden tomorrow!

Maiden tomorrow!

After having a partial ARF kit from Butch since I think Sept '07, I've finally got this all put together and will be maidening it tomorrow!

I used:

-3 qty Hextronik 5gm servos
-24g blue wonder motor (1200kv?)
-GWS 8060 prop (I ended up using a o-ring style prop adapter - was able to get the prop real close to the bellhousing of the motor)
-CSRC 800mAH 8C 2S lipo (leftover from my Honeybee FP heli)
-Towerpro 9gm 12A ESC

To get the CG right, I had to slot the nose pretty far back - pretty much under the black canopy. My lipo must be on the heavy side OR I have little weight hanging behind the CG point.

AUW is 7.9gm including lipo (some people don't quote it with the lipo?)

Butch, that 3M 4693H glue is very impressive.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:05 AM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Successful maiden today

Had a successful maiden today. The test toss showed my boomer was setup perfectly - nice level glide into the tall grass.

Flying around was fun. I'm a bit rusty so all I was doing was getting used to the plane. Full throttle is slow, this is no speed demon. Elevator authority is perfect, it's a bit twitchy on the ailerons. I may move the linkage down a hole or two on the servos.

Flew with light throttle for about 15 mins, landed and lipo still had ~50% capacity left.

Need to get some more time on it before I do any spirited maneuvers. Will likely need to add some color to one side too to help me with orientation.

It's a winner! Thanks Butch!