HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2008, 09:39 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
Some time ago, I put together a 29", WildWing Boomer-Lite, using a 10g outrunner, 6.5" prop and 2 cell lipo. At about 5.4ozs, it flew well, even had enough power to fly in up to 10mph winds. I flew it a few times and then it sat on the windy days, then I robbed the 10g motor for something else.

I have been wanting to try a 1700kv, 24g outrunner on a 2 cell to see if it would still fly good slow and then have a bit more speed for windyier days.
The boom spread was 7"s for a 6.5' prop, so I used a 7x6 and trimmed it a bit.
Since it would pull about 9-10 amps, I used a Enerland(Polyquest) 800mah 20C, with a 30C burst.

It flys very well! Zips around nicely and rolls very quick. It almost slows down as much as a 31.5" wingspan, but not quite.
The 29" wingspan with 7" boom spread is about as small as you can go and still use the servo pockets. Its just another keeper for the Boomer collection! Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2008, 07:45 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
I didn't get to get out yesterday, so I waited till I could take off from my chores for a bit this afternoon.
By the time I got to go, the wind was 18mph and gusty!
So I took my trusty 3cell 24g 1300Kv outrunner WW Boomer and the latest 2cell 1700kv WW 29" Boomer out to play with the wind.
The 3cell did fine as usual, but I was courious to see how the smaller wingspan, 2 cell, 1700kv would do in the high winds.
The shorter wingspan and higher Kv motor makes it alot more snappy!
It rolls alot faster, climbs vertical nicely at 80% power, loops and turns on a dime and still slows down and floats well. I had it float right on by several times, trying to land it close to me.
Its hard to judge the speed, but its alot faster than the 24g, 2cell, 1300kv on the 31.5" Boomer. It will fly just fine at 40% power and handled the gusty wind with no problems at all. Plus it came in with the batt just barely warm! Butch
Old Oct 12, 2008, 08:28 PM
Registered Loser
San Ramon, CA
Joined May 2008
268 Posts
butch, last week it was the rain this week the wind. I flew my easy* today pretty windy, still had fun! hope to catch you guys some Saturday. I know if i dug around this site i could get the recipe for a boomer or wildwing lite just want to see it with my own eyes! at least the windmills are spinning!
navin is offline Find More Posts by navin
Old Oct 13, 2008, 01:30 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
Navin, You should come by the house sometime, I have several Boomers I can fly in the street, even in some wind, you can check out. Butch
Old Oct 18, 2008, 09:24 PM
still learning
west Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2007
409 Posts
This is still my favorite open field flier - wind or no wind!

56 seconds cut from 15 minutes of fun flying.
(clicking on the link in the blue title bar gives you a little larger picture.)

Wild Wing Boomer fun (0 min 56 sec)
aeroknot is offline Find More Posts by aeroknot
Old Oct 19, 2008, 04:52 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroknot
This is still my favorite open field flier - wind or no wind!

56 seconds cut from 15 minutes of fun flying.
(clicking on the link in the blue title bar gives you a little larger picture.)

http://vimeo.com/2003949
Really enjoyed the video. That's a heck of a good flyer. Nice.
Steve.
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:04 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
A nice video! One of these days I need to figure out how to take and load good vids.
But for now, I have a hard enough time just building a few new planes and repairing all the broken ones!! Not counting all the ideas floating around in my head. Butch
Old Oct 20, 2008, 05:22 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777
A nice video! One of these days I need to figure out how to take and load good vids.
But for now, I have a hard enough time just building a few new planes and repairing all the broken ones!! Not counting all the ideas floating around in my head. Butch
Hey Butch,

How many times do those ideas cause you to make major changes in what you're doing and take you off in different directions?

Reading this forum's various threads I find myself coming to the conclusion that:
a. The fuselage is an unnecessary appendage that adds weight and drag to another wise efficiently shaped flying machine.
b. Change is impossible to avoid. Everything evolves.
c. For me building is probably more fun than flying.

Edit: Maybe version 5 will have booms???

Steve.
Last edited by Cybernaught; Oct 20, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:24 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,018 Posts
Hey Steve, you might be able to get version 2 or 3 to balance by making the motor cut-out deeper and moving the motor forward. Take a look in the "flying wing" forum and you will see a lot of the wings have deeper cut-outs for this very reason. I see in version 4 you tried a prop-in-slot. I don't see any reason for you to have any problem balancing that one. Murray
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:34 PM
still learning
west Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2007
409 Posts
Thanks Steve and Butch - I put a little inverted flight in...like right before it zooms to the ground - which is up elevator

Steve - interesting build!

Butch - I've had a lot of fun following your boomer posts.
Last edited by aeroknot; Oct 20, 2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:41 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
Cybernaught,
My Father in-law is from Bohol. I can see the island from the island I visit that my Wife is from. On my next trip, I'm susposed to take a Boomer to show-off to all the in-laws. Maybe we hook-up?? It may be a while before we go. Butch
Old Oct 21, 2008, 02:43 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777
Cybernaught,
My Father in-law is from Bohol. I can see the island from the island I visit that my Wife is from. On my next trip, I'm susposed to take a Boomer to show-off to all the in-laws. Maybe we hook-up?? It may be a while before we go. Butch
Hey Butch, Small world. If you get over here just email me at: steve_henshall@yahoo.com. I'll email you my cell # and we can text and maybe arrange an eyeball. I'm on Pangangan Island on the beach. It's on the west side of Bohol It's about 25Km across from Argao on Cebu island. If you have a map of the Phils our town is Calape. What island is your wife from?

The wing is ready to go now. I'm nervous about the glide tests. I posted about it on the KFm Flying Wing thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post10781741

You ever put floats on a boomer? Here's a pic of my back yard.

Steve.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 05:55 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
I just wanted to chime in... My mom is from Bohol. We're actually going there next year for our annual family reunion... I envy your gorgeous backyard...

LG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernaught
Hey Butch, Small world. If you get over here just email me at: steve_henshall@yahoo.com. I'll email you my cell # and we can text and maybe arrange an eyeball. I'm on Pangangan Island on the beach. It's on the west side of Bohol It's about 25Km across from Argao on Cebu island. If you have a map of the Phils our town is Calape. What island is your wife from?

The wing is ready to go now. I'm nervous about the glide tests. I posted about it on the KFm Flying Wing thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post10781741

You ever put floats on a boomer? Here's a pic of my back yard.

Steve.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Oct 21, 2008, 05:20 PM
still learning
west Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2007
409 Posts
Noggin Cam

Nice backyard.

What I use for my noggin cam for the videos is the strap from a welding helmet like in randall1959's thread noggin cam

If you don't happen to have a welding helmet not in use, try welding helmet accessory replacement parts like Jackson helment replacement parts - about $13. Mine's from an old Harbor Freight helmet.

I used a 1.5 inch "L" bracket, bent a little over 90 degrees, bolted on to the welding helmet strap, with an 8mm EPP pad double-sided carpet-taped to the front inside to pad the bolt head. Taped the L bracket so it wouldn't swivel.

The helmet strap is very secure and when flying you don't even notice it. Start the cam, slap the noggin cam on and start flying! There's no slop in the camera mount. The noggin cam ends up on your noggin the same way every time so no problems ending up with different angles.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 05:23 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,798 Posts
For your amusement, a 'canard boomer' (Duck VTOL):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941813
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama