HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2008, 05:47 AM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxspode
I was in Hobby Lobby tonight and they have a chuck glider called the Ultra Flier for $7.99. It has a very large wing that could be cut down from the tip end and angle cut to add sweep pretty easily. I think it might work.

Rob...
That's the same one I used for the blue and yellow boomer in my photo above (post #736)
I did have to add a small bit of ballast to the nose for it to balance correctly so if you add some sweep to the wings you should be able to avoid this. Good luck.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2008, 12:21 AM
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,073 Posts
I finished converting the boomer tonight and will try to maiden it in the morning. Adding the second wing added just over an ounce more weight but it nearly doubled the wing area so hopefully it wil fly slower and not stall so easily.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2008, 01:26 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Looks great! I think it must be the first Bi-Boomer. Make sure to re-adjust your C/G.
It looks like it will need to move forward. Good luck, Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Sep 13, 2008, 01:38 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator
I finished converting the boomer tonight and will try to maiden it in the morning. Adding the second wing added just over an ounce more weight but it nearly doubled the wing area so hopefully it wil fly slower and not stall so easily.
Sure hope it flies because it looks way to cool not to. Did it stagger wing too I see. You ended up with a sharp looking plane. Get that CG right and it could be great.

I will be watching for your results with great anticipation.

Rob...

Edit; I just can't get over how cool that looks.
mxspode is online now Find More Posts by mxspode
Last edited by mxspode; Sep 13, 2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: More gushing added.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 03:13 PM
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxspode

I will be watching for your results with great anticipation.

Rob...

Edit; I just can't get over how cool that looks.
Oh great, no pressure here!
It's been pretty gusty so far today so I haven't tried flying it yet. I used the cg calc found here to figure the balance point. I ended up having to add a little ballast to the nose but she balances where the calc said she should.
I hope I have good news to tell after the maiden. Murray
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:27 PM
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,073 Posts
It was windy again this morning but I couldn't resist trying to maiden my boomer bipe. It wanted to climb a lot at first so I kept having to add more down trim. I brought her back around and added a bit more ballast to the nose and tried again, this time with someone filming me. Sorry about the poor quality. I had a bit of a mishap (maybe it was the wind) but as you can see in the second video she still flys despite a wrinkled nose. The second wing did help with the slow flight although you can't tell from the video.
boomer bipe (0 min 43 sec)

boomer bipe 2 (0 min 39 sec)

I have decided to extend the nose of the fuse about 2 or 3 inches so I can move the battery forward and lose the ballast. Overall, I think this plane is a success and once I have a calm day and can get her balanced correctly I think she's a keeper.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murman; Sep 14, 2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:59 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Looks like it flys fine to me!
Now maybe someday I'll have to do a EPP Bi-Boomer!! Butch
(After I finish the dozen planes I'm working on now!!)
Old Sep 20, 2008, 04:18 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Today our flying group had what we called, "Boomer Fest".
We invited another flying group to have combat with us.
We flew different versions of WildWings, Boomers and other custom designs.

The Boomer was designed as a parkflyer and is very maneuverable in combat, but its tail is its weak spot. I could hear the other guys say "get that tail!"

It was a bit windy and overcast, but the overcast helped keep the sun out of our eyes.
At one point we had "10"!!! planes in the air, all swirling around like a bunch of Gnats!
It was amazing how so many planes in one tight looping bunch missed each other!
I mean a couple of minutes would pass, with this big swarm of planes and no one making contact!
Everyone had a fun time and I got a chance to meet some great RC'ers.

Now I'll have to build a tuffer Boomer. I got my tail busted(but taped it back together and flew it again) and a couple good chunks out of my wing and a busted prop, but had lots of fun.
Hopefully one of the guys will post some pics. Butch
Old Sep 20, 2008, 08:06 PM
Winging It
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Jun 2005
53 Posts
Boomer Fest Photos

Here are a few photos from todays Boomer Fest. This was the first time wed experienced more than six wings doing combat. Ten is great!

Ive published lots more pictures and an article about the event on my blog .

(Edited to update article publication.)
petej is offline Find More Posts by petej
Last edited by petej; Sep 21, 2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 08:44 PM
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,073 Posts
the ultimate boomer?

Ok, I have built a couple of boomers now from chuck gliders and can see how well they handle the wind and what overall great flyers they are, but I was wondering?????
Butch, which boomer has been the overall best flyer? I want to build another one but I really want to do it right this time. My 48" chuck glider boomer is one of the best planes I have in my fleet right now but it lacks a little in the thrust department.
I was wondering, out of all the boomers you have built and flown, which one is the overall "best-of-the-best"?
Which wing did you convert to achieve this?
What running gear did you use?
What was your auw?
Can I have your old ones? J/K
Anyway, I hope I'm not asking too much. I have really enjoyed following this thread and would love to read your response. Thanks, Murray
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2008, 09:55 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Butch builds better boomers! They held up great in todays wars -- better than my newest wing (motor got blown off in a great hard smackdown...)

The wind conditions were just right for what we're calling "Spinners," which is when your wingtip gets hit by someone else and your plane goes pinwheeling sideways as if somebody threw it like a frisbee. Very funny, and I saw at least five today (two of them inflicted on my plane).

Not really any more contact with ten planes than six, but it's way impressive just to see all those little buzzers in the air at the same time.

We also got to see Butch's newest NanoBoomer fly (with the 5-gram motor) and it really does! Extreme aerobatics, right on the edge all the time. I think that thing gave us more thrills than the combat!

Great day, great field, and some great folks to fly with.

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:45 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Pete! Thanks for posting the pics!

Murry,
Each Boomer I've built was for a certin type of flying.
Some made the grade and some didn't!
The original quest was to be able to fly in a lot of wind, in a small park and be crash survivable.
But then the faster the wind, the more power it needs, so the heavier it gets and the slower it won't fly and the crashes are a bit more distructive.
The sweep of the wing gives it a dihederal effect and adds stability, while being able to fly inverted well, that's one reason I used the Flying Wings for wing cores, the other was the swept wing has its C/G back farther, so I didn't have to build a long nose to get the batt forward.
But back to the question, I think the WildWing Boomer with the 3.5" cut on a 3 cell and 24G outrunner is a good all around flyer. It still floats well, has vertical to a dot in a few seconds, turns and loops on a dime and survives crashes well, All if built light, around 7.5-8ozs max. Butch
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:49 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Dave,
Thanks for coming out. We really enjoyed flying with your group and hope we can do it again. Hopefully I'll get the Micro Boomer smoothed out, at 2.5 ozs it was a bit windy, but it should be able to deal with it. Butch
Old Sep 26, 2008, 06:11 PM
Registered Loser
San Ramon, CA
Joined May 2008
268 Posts
next boomer fest?

That looked like so much fun! Ive built 2 versions of the ww, 1 a heavy, scary fast bat out of hell,2 a lighter(still pretty heavy) sloper which i enjoy more than the 1st. I live in san ramon and would love to come and see you guys in action next time you have at it! I have 1 more kit and i have to build 1 of those!!!
navin is offline Find More Posts by navin
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:33 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
That looked like so much fun! Ive built 2 versions of the ww, 1 a heavy, scary fast bat out of hell,2 a lighter(still pretty heavy) sloper which i enjoy more than the 1st. I live in san ramon and would love to come and see you guys in action next time you have at it! I have 1 more kit and i have to build 1 of those!!!
You should come out some time.
Most every saturday about 9:30-10:00am, some of us are out at Dublin elementry on Vomac Rd.
We usually fly to about 11:30 or so. Butch