HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:56 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,575 Posts
Just go ahead and fly it, then make a new fuselage after you get used to it!
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2008, 09:36 AM
Respect mah Authoritay!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Mar 2004
476 Posts
Yikes! Plastic Surgery gone bad.

I agree with Butch. Put a line of tape along the bottom for support and just fly it.

Gary
teamgs is offline Find More Posts by teamgs
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:31 PM
Joined Sep 2000
125 Posts
I guess so guys, I'm just not sure if I can cut a battery slot in so much less fuse material, I barely have any area to hold onto it for a good toss.... maybe I can hold on to the tip of the wing and toss it that way? Or baby I'll just glue on a bit more foam where I usually hold on underneath... maybe just delay tactics on my part so no one sees how bad I actually fly lol. I'll go this weekend somewhere where no one is around

Jasper
jasper135 is offline Find More Posts by jasper135
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:39 PM
Joined Sep 2000
125 Posts
I just had a thought Butch. Its really sad they stopped making WW's but maybe there's a way around this? Its going to sound off-topic sorry guys... last night I was messing with the idea of making a silicone mold of the WW and making copies in polyurethane...I know, I know, EPP is better than polyurethane, its just a thought anyway. So I got out this little mold I made of the front of a small cat statue and poured in some two part poly-u (never did that before, I used it with plaster) and it popped out no problems nice and shiny! Theoretically, top and bottom halves of the ww can be molded this way then glued together and its super cheap so who cares if it breaks in crashes. Ok I'm known to come up with crazy ideas. Anway, just a thought, there would still be the problem of slicing off the access cured material from the top and bottom halves to glue them together like a sandwich... maybe making a thin aluminum rim on top so the knife does not damage the silicone mold.

I had to get that out lol! Just ignore me

Jasper
Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:30 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,575 Posts
I am still thinking on making a mold of the Projeti Wing. Its alot faster airfoil than the WildWing.
I actually made a couple molds of a fuselage that the Projeti wings and or alot of other wings could be used. The problem is by the time you prep the mold, make the 2 halves, glass them together and trim them up, you've spent alot of time!
Last edited by Butch777; Aug 27, 2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:43 PM
Joined Sep 2000
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777
I am still thinking on making a mold of the Projeti Wing. Its alot faster airfoil than the WildWing.
I actually made a couple molds of a fuselage that the Projeti wings and or alot of other wings could be used. The problem is by the time you prep the mold, make the 2 halves, glass them together and trim them up, you've spent alot of time!
I know, I went all out and carved a fuse plug from wood for a 2 meter wing and made molds for it then realized how labor intensive prepping and glassing was. I tried to make a two piece mold of a wing section just like the one for the fuse and poured in two part expanding polyurethane and realized that the pressure was too much and that even after pulling out the wing section the middle was not totally cured even after lots of time and eventually continued to expand messing up the airfoil. That's why I came up with the idea of making top and bottom molds with silicone (no PVA release needed at all) not joining them during curing (keep them seperate to let the excess expand out) the cutting the extra stuff and gluing the two halves. I think it will work. Look at the sample shots of this little cat test mold I made. I applied PVA release on the part then I used plain old tub and tile silicone applied just like plaster of paris using small pieces of really light fiberglass cloth (like your making a cast on a arm etc) and let it dry then pel off, then you mix part A and B polyurethane and pour in (you don't have to use too much it expands) then just pop the part out, no release agents needed. Voila!

What you might want to do with bigger parts is apply epoxy fiberglass to the back of it to make a hard part that this flexible mold fits into just to retain its shape (no warping etc) it will not stick to it and will also pop out but just place in it each time you pour a new part to let sit and cure (hard backing type of thing) I would trim the access before twisting out the part. It should pop right out as in my sample cat test part if you are planning on making LOTS of parts then you might consider getting the industrial strength silicones from places like http://www.metalitek.com/contact_us.html and get the "Plat Sil 71-20" silicone and any good two part polyurethane (you can experiment with the injectable can type but I like the two part pourable one)

Jasper
Last edited by jasper135; Aug 27, 2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 05:29 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Another possible substitute for the wild wing is either

1. a hyperflea or superfly - kind of expensive

2. Some scratch-built variant of a hyperflea or superfly.
To make it easier to build, people have been trying to use Kline-Fogelman modified (KFm) airfoils to make a flat-plate airfoil less sensitive, including

a. Lloo's post #1296 at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...514560&page=87 (called hyperfly in the posting)

b. FirstShirt's 'Wannaflea' thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763076
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Aug 27, 2008, 06:24 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,575 Posts
I've flown several superfly/fleas and they fly ok. Theres a couple in our flying group but the Boomers are just a different type of flying Wing, mostly for slower, tighter areas.
The Boomers can be built out of most any Flying Wing core. The airfoil will determine the speed range.
The big reason I used the WildWing cores, were they are molded EPP and for parkflying Boomers, don't need any tape or spars! The molded EPP skin adds enough strength.
Windrider Bee's will probably be my next version for a windy day small area parkflyer.
I also have a MiniSpeedWing Boomer started.

I've built many 9mm EPP flat plate planes, so I have lots of stuff hanging around to build a Boomer light. I built one long ago, but it was too floppy.
The one I'm working on now is 18"s, under 3ozs using a 5g outrunner and 2 cell.
I'll be posting pics after I get it maidened. Butch
Old Aug 27, 2008, 07:26 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
I've flown several superfly/fleas and they fly ok. Theres a couple in our flying group but the Boomers are just a different type of flying Wing, mostly for slower, tighter areas.
I was thinking about converting a superfly/flea into a Boomer.

Quote:
The big reason I used the WildWing cores, were they are molded EPP and for parkflying Boomers, don't need any tape or spars! The molded EPP skin adds enough strength.
I did not realize about this aspect of your choice.

Quote:
I've built many 9mm EPP flat plate planes, so I have lots of stuff hanging around to build a Boomer light. I built one long ago, but it was too floppy.
The one I'm working on now is 18"s, under 3ozs using a 5g outrunner and 2 cell.
Some people have been adding a second (partial) layer of EPP to form a Kline-Fogelman (modified) type airfoil, which is supposed to make the airfoil less pitch sensitive than a flat plate. The second layer also helps to stiffen the wing.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Aug 27, 2008, 09:10 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,575 Posts
After messing with several different flat plate designs, it just seemed easier and lighter in the long run to use a thin to medium airfoil. It needed less carbonfiber to stiffen it and wasn't as pitch sensitive.
It was hard to find anything thicker than 9mm a while ago, but now you can get 20mm and 30mm and just sand a airfoil into it. Anything close to a Clark-Y seems to work good enough for parkflying. Butch
Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:58 AM
Joined Sep 2000
125 Posts
ok... I decided to operate on my mangled ww boomer fuse that I botched up slicing it down to size. I'm going with the epp skin graft method that I'm making up as I go long lol! Learn and make things up as you go is my motto Hope it works. I sliced up some small thin epp sheets, very lightly spread on some shoe goop along the edges and taped or pinned on the thin sheets to cover up the mangled fuse... for sure this will add a bit to the weight but hopefully make it look better than before.

Jasper
Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:30 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,813 Posts
Hi, I just finished a successful 48" chuck glider to boomer conversion that flys great. I just bought a smaller 25" chuck glider that I am going to convert to a boomer. Maybe I just got lucky when I built the first one but I just guessed at the dimensions of the vertical and horizontal stabs. Is there a formula for figuring out how big to make the stabilizers?
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2008, 03:17 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,575 Posts
Is there a formula for figuring out how big to make the stabilizers?

There's a formula over in "Modeling Science" but I never used it.
I've had over 300 planes now and went by the old saying, "If it looks good it will probably fly". With the twin tails, they don't have to be overly large.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:01 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,575 Posts
The latest Micro Boomer has been slow in the making. I needed it no more than 3ozs and 2.5 or so would be great. I wanted it as small as possible but still fly outdoors.
Using EPP for the wing increased the weight over depron, but having it a bit more crash survivable was more important.
I decided on 18"s, using the WildWing sweep, but streaching the cord to gain some wing area for better slow flight. I used a piece of 10mm EPP and sanded a ClarkY-ish airfoil into it. If this works out I may try a bit thicker airfoil.
I used 3mm depron for the tails and ailerons, but a 4/5mm piece of depron for the horizontal stab, off a SlowStick tail I had laying around to add some stiffness to the tail.

I went with the Berg4L, 5g outrunner, 5030 prop, 6g ESC, 2-3.7g servos, Fullriver 250 2 cell and C/F pushrods on the ailerons to keep the weight down. I was going to cut all the excess wires down to save weight, but I'll fly it first and see.

The build is like a standard build, just everything is tiny and a pain to assemble.
I haven't made the fuselage yet, but I layed out the airframe and electronics and was happy to see I'm around 2.5ozs flying, with a EPP wing and fuselage.
I still have a few things to do, so I won't be able to maiden it for a few days.
But here's what I have so far. Butch
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:30 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Cute as a bug! Hope it flies well. Those little squirrels can be a real challenge.

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis