HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2006, 09:42 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
I'm one step ahead of you. I had picked up some at the Dollar Store and found some bigger ones at Walmart for about $4.00. A couple of my nephews have been eyeing them. But I told them they don't bounce like EPP does.
The Wild Wing comes with a molded EPP wing, 5 carbonfiber tubes, balsa elevons, pushrods w/fittings, and horns, a motor mount, coraplast fins, batt cover, a 2" wide roll of fiberglass strapping tape and 2" wide roll of red covering tape all on sale for $19.35!! The tape and carbonfiber is over $12.00 worth. Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:02 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
I am not deying the value of the Wild Wing ( when it is on sale) nor is bounce-ability!

My point is that you can buy this little rascal for a buck for goodness sake! and if you substitute bamboo skewers for $.02 each ( $2.00 per pack of 100) on the booms, maybe use a couple for wing stiffeners, Hmm that is only $1.04 so far. Meat tray foam or even foam plates for the appendages and boom tops, Those are free or nearly so.

Mind you that even though it would take quite as much punishment built with these inexpensive items you could still have a very nice looking plane, they would be super easy to repair.

Add to this ( here we go again with the addition!) the facct that you could build 20 ( O.K. 19...) of these airframes for the same price as one of the Wild Wings, I doubt seriously you could claim the durability to be 20 times better than this plane I am suggesting.

Actually it would be hard to make a really good comparison till you have one to compare!

What do you think? If kept light amd lightness is our friend regarding dura bility, I believe it will take bounces quite well.
Granted the EPP planes will take the really stupid hard licks with much more ease.

Thoughts ?

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Dec 29, 2006, 05:37 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,807 Posts
How about an 80mph nose dive with a wild wing! all i had to do is send my motor back to replace magnets that tore loose. and no charge for that as it was a microdans speed2505 . Also had to glue the fins back on other than that its back to flying. Robert
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Dec 29, 2006, 06:15 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
The nice thing about a EPP Boomer is the fuselage takes most all the impact and usually just snaps and can be glued back real easy. Plus its easy to make a replacement for $2.00 worth of EPP! Butch
Old Dec 30, 2006, 06:38 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
I stopped by Dublin on the way to work today and the guys were flying. I had the Wild-Cat and the Pocket-Cat Boomer with me. I let them try them out. Seems every one likes the Wild-Cat, it flys slow and easy or wild and crazy. I hope to get the outrunner version flying soon, but I've got a few others I'm trying to get tweeked.
Butch
Old Jan 07, 2007, 12:59 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
Well I'm back on the Outrunner version.
I want to build it using a small 24gram, 1300Kv, single, before I build a Esskay version, then a Walkera 180 version.
The Wild Wing-Lite(non-boomer) I built, I cut the wing down by 3"S and it seemed I should go a bit more, so on the W-Cat Boomer, I cut it down by 4"s and the rx hole was just a bit tight, but not bad. So on this one I cut it down 3.5"s and that looks good so far.
I've got the wing halves glued together and the booms in, but because this motor is a bit faster, I glued the booms in at 4"s. I had some yellow depron left so I used it for the elevons, but I got to figure out the tail.
I'm looking at a couple different ways to mount the outrunner on a composite tube, to keep it simple, I may just zip-tie it and put a dab of glue to keep it from wanting to spin. I think I'll again use the Pico servos to keep it light and a Berg 4L. I'll post some pics when I get it closer to looking like something. Butch
Old Jan 29, 2007, 08:13 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
Well I was out flying the Wild-Cat Boomer a few days ago, screwing around close to the ground and smacked it in a couple times. Then I noticed it was flying kinda twitchy, so I brought it in for a check-up. The plastic tube/guide, that the elevator pushrod goes through, broke loose from its spot on the vertical stab. So when I got home and fixed it, I made sure to add a bit more epoxy around it.
I've got the outrunner Wild-Cat Boomer 95% done. Just have to solder up the ESC and solder up some 3 cell batts. I picked up some 700mah 20C cells to handle the 7.5 amp draw.
I also started on a Walkera 180 version, and I'm helping a couple other guys build theres.
I just took the IPS version out before dark, infront of my house. It still amase's me that it will fly at 50% power, on a IPS motor, and loop and stall, in less than 10 ft above the ground no problem. And on a 340mah batt, I get over 20 minutes of flight time. Not to bad! Butch
Old Feb 02, 2007, 03:50 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
I hope to maiden the outrunner version Wild-Cat Boomer this weekend. I picked up a 730mah TP 3 cell and it handles the amp draw of the outrunner. I just got some small stuff to do and its ready. With the 24gram outrunner, a Thunderbird 9, 8060 prop, 3 pico servos, Y harness, depron ailerons and tail and the 730 TP batt, it weighs in at 7.2ozs. It should be fun! 14ozs thrust, 7.5 amp draw! Were talking about some darn good vertical here!! With a 2 cell lipo it puts out 7+ozs thrust, so that will still be a great parkflyer.
Butch
Old Feb 04, 2007, 06:26 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
I met the guys over in Dublin, yesterday morning for the maiden of the outrunner version, Wild-Cat Boomer. I had the travels and C/G set the same as the IPS version and that proved to be a interesting launch! I tossed it and applied the power, about 3/4 throttle and it took off like a mad dog! I finally got it trimed and it was a lot better.
The darn thing on 3 cells, will fly at 20% power! It will climb vertical at 60% power!
I hit full power stright up and it was a dot in a matter of a few seconds.
All in all, it flys just like the IPS version, just tons of vertical. I did notice it will torque roll a bit with the 8060 prop on it.

Design Change Notice: With the outrunner, on 3 cells, it torque rolls to the left a lot more than the IPS version.
I put the elevator servo on the left side, which makes the left side a bit heavier than the right. I mounted the rx and antenna on the right side to off-set this a bit.
But I think the elevator servo should be switched to the right side, especially on the more powerfull motors than the IPS.

On a 2 cell lipo, the outrunner version should still have more power than the IPS version and be almost the same weight. I'll test it soon.
Heres some pics:
Old Feb 04, 2007, 07:24 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Butch, those planes you build are awesome! You should have your own company selling them!

Wow, 1,000 posts already!

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Feb 04, 2007, 08:04 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
The Boomers are a neat plane, because you can take most Flying Wing kits and make them into a Boomer, which makes them a better beginners plane and more stable.
I'm content with helping members get there's built and experimenting.

Congrads on your 1000 post!!
Butch
Old Feb 06, 2007, 10:40 AM
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
I'm thinking of making a full-size lite Wild-Cat (full 35" wing). Is the fuselage there for looks or is the extra nose length necessary for balance? I see you put the battery in the nose, so I'm guessing it's for balance.

MX
MX is offline Find More Posts by MX
Old Feb 06, 2007, 11:06 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
It depends on the batt size! If you leave it 35", you'll have lots of batt room. Actually the first couple Boomers I built needed a nose, but the WW IPS and outrunner version on a 3 cell could fly without a fuselage.
The fuselage does add some degree of directional stability. Butch

Oh, don't put the tail too far back and keep it light.
Last edited by Butch777; Feb 11, 2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2007, 04:06 PM
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
With the elevator, I guess the elevons are changed to be just ailerons, right? Do you also eliminate the reflex? Is it still the same CG (about 7.5" from stock nose)?

Thanks,

MX
MX is offline Find More Posts by MX
Old Feb 06, 2007, 06:27 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
Yup, the elevons are now ailerons and you'll need a "Y" connector to hook up the servos. Since its not a Wing anymore, no reflex is needed, just line the ailerons up with the cord line(the same as the booms).
The C/G changes. Most wings are from about 15-22% back from the leading edge. The Boomer is like a standard plane, about 27-30% back. Butch
Last edited by Butch777; Feb 11, 2007 at 07:17 PM.