to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2007, 02:34 AM
Cleveland, Oh
Joined Feb 2005
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
On small stuff i like flat foam reinforced with bamboo shashlick sticks
i havent found a scource for that soft flexble hot melt glue that some are using available here in Oz yet, spose ill have to import that too
Interesting, what do you use the hot glue for? I've seen it used for the hinges which sounds like a great idea, but thought it was too heavy to use as an all purpose glue.

What's the special flexible kind for?
aman_74 is offline Find More Posts by aman_74
Old Jul 22, 2007, 08:08 AM
Genesee Valley WNY
Joined Apr 2006
117 Posts
beginner here too

Flying Lama....

As an FYI, I have built one, and it works well..but as far as space goes..

I have a back field I fly in, and being a beginner I have having a hard time with space, it is a perfect rectangle that is about 40 yards wide by 80 some long, ringed by plane eating trees.

do what all these guys say...learn in a huge area first. I need to move for a big to a big field till I get used to it.
NoThreat is offline Find More Posts by NoThreat
Last edited by NoThreat; Jul 22, 2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 08:44 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman_74
Interesting, what do you use the hot glue for? I've seen it used for the hinges which sounds like a great idea, but thought it was too heavy to use as an all purpose glue.

What's the special flexible kind for?
Beauty i have found a low temp' gun and the glue locally,
I want to try tape on one side ofthe hinge line and run a thin smear in the groove and when cool remove the tape,for gluing the foam i use Vice wich is a PU glue,we still cant get Sumo here yet.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:06 AM
Cleveland, Oh
Joined Feb 2005
548 Posts
So is there a special hot glue I need for doing hot glue hinges? I thought the low temp would be more likely to fail in hot weather conditions. You referred to a special kind so that' why I ask.

Thanks,

Anthony
aman_74 is offline Find More Posts by aman_74
Old Jul 22, 2007, 01:42 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,577 Posts
Flying Lama, to add to NoThreat's comment;
Using a 2.5oz motor and nicads will really be too heavy to fly the Boomer at any slower parkflyer/slowflyer speeds. To get low speeds were using 1 ounce motors and 1 ounce batts. My inrunner Boomer weighs 11.5ozs, compaired to 6.5ozs for the IPS or 2 cell outrunner version and it will not fly in a small area and takes tons more room just to land it. Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jul 22, 2007, 01:49 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat
Flying Lama....
do what all these guys say...learn in a huge area first. I need to move for a big to a big field till I get used to it.
No disputes with this. But given the same reaction time on my part,
a slower plane will take less area to fly than a larger one,
and it will take me less practice time to be able to fly a slow plane in a small area than a fast plane.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:28 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777
Flying Lama, to add to NoThreat's comment;
Using a 2.5oz motor and nicads will really be too heavy to fly the Boomer at any slower parkflyer/slowflyer speeds. To get low speeds were using 1 ounce motors and 1 ounce batts. ...
I am using Nicads because I am still uncomfortable with Lipos.
This may be tricky, but my plan for slow flight involves a gearbox and a large prop for low pitch speed (~35mph) and lots of thrust (16oz.+).
Then I can use the propwash over an up elevator to keep the nose up to keep the speed down (sort of like a harrier).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Jul 23, 2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:27 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Well Butch, my version with the motor up front and not a cut wing is ready to try out. going to take it to an overgrown hay field for a glide first. It weighs 11oz without a battery. I may replace the esskay with a DIY cd motor after i get it fying. I could save an ounce, and use a 2oz 2cell and get the AUW down to 12oz.

Tho I will say with the eskay, 3s and a 9040dd prop, it will pull out of my hand at 3/4 throttle.

Can't wait to try it out

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Jul 24, 2007, 03:22 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,577 Posts
Sounds great! Let us know how it goes.
What I do on a glide test is to have everything ready to fly and turn it on for the glide test. That way I can steer it. I just don't power up the motor.
And if you can, have someone else throw it, so you can be on the sticks to pull it up if it dives and or push it down if it swoops up. Butch
Old Jul 24, 2007, 03:50 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,577 Posts
Several guys have asked about RTF Boomers, but I just don't have enough time to do them and the rest of my experimenting. I will however make up some kits as soon as I get the latest Boomer built and test flown.
I decided to sell my IPS boomer to raise funds for more Boomer projects.
Its been flown about 20 times and the fuselage has been glued back together twice. Other wise its in new like shape.
It has 3 GWS pico servos, a Berg 4L and I have a couple 3 cell Kokam Super High Discharge 340mah 3 cells for it. I can change the fuselage to the stronger one, sell it without the Berg and or batts and even inc a new extra motor and props. PM me if interested.
While I'm at it, I may as well let my IPS WildWing-Lite go as well. I never fly it anyways. It has Pico servos and a Berg as well. PM me, Butch
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:41 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,577 Posts
I just about got the next Boomer ready to fly.
With the 24g outrunner, 2 cell lipo, wider fuselage, and thicker/wider 6mm depron ailerons/elevator, it looks to be about 0.2oz heavier than the IPS version, 6.5oz for the IPS and 6.7oz for the 2 cell outrunner.
I got most of it together, just need to solder up the ESC and install the pushrods. Then I'll do some thrust compairsons. Butch
Last edited by Butch777; Jul 26, 2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 06:20 AM
Genesee Valley WNY
Joined Apr 2006
117 Posts
Wel I went to my mothers house, and they have a huge 100 acre hay field accros the street, and it flew perfectly, till I tried a loop, and i didnt have enough altitude..bent the prop..DoH, but it flew great :-) no other damage

Big field with alfalfa up to your calf = easy to fly and soft landings..
NoThreat is offline Find More Posts by NoThreat
Old Jul 27, 2007, 03:36 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,577 Posts
Great! You finally got it going. Take the time to get used to in before you get too wild with it. If a IPS Boomer is set up right, it will loop from 5ft off the ground. Butch
Old Jul 27, 2007, 03:44 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Hi Butch, I maidened my puller bommer recently in 12 -15 mph winds, and she flies great! After a CG adjustment, it glides power off wicked flat, has way more power than needed for cruising around, and flies inverted nicely. I will post a few pics of it later tonite.

The only thing I'm going to do next with it is add some mechinical differential by moving the aileron servo arms one notch towards the ailerons.

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond