HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2006, 08:30 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
Well I got impatient today and after I took my Wife to work, I finished up the basic on this Wild-Cat Boomer, to do a maiden flight. The wind was calm and the sun was getting low, so I was running out of time.
I hadn't decided how I would attach the fuselage, so I just taped it on, since it only holds the batt. I used a 340 Kokam 3 cell and taped it on as well. I don't want to cut a slot for it just yet. I ran out of the correct push rod size, so I went smaller. It worked ok, but flexed more than I'd like.
So I got to the field just as the sun was setting. I ruff set the C/G 1/2" behind where my Wild Wing-Lite was and gave it a unpowered toss into the grass, with all the trims set to level.
I lucked out and it glided perfect, to about 40 ft away. So I powered it up and gave it a toss, then hit the gas!
Wow!, all I got to say is; you should have been there! It flew on 50% power, climbed better than 45 degrees and floated real nice for a faster airfoil wing.
I put it through some progressive manuvers to see what it would do. Stalls, loops, rolls and just jurking it around and recovering. No bad habits. It will snap loop and turn real tight.
When I got back, after about 12-15minutes of flight, the 340mah batt was still at 11.4v, so I could have flown even more. I just checked the weight, 6.6ozs!
Thats less than some of my GWS pico Sticks I used to have.
Next I'll get all the finishing touches done and test fly some different C/G possisions, then I've got to get it out on a windy day. Thats no problem around here!
Then since the Wild-Cat and the Wild Wing-Lite have the same power plant and set-up, another member, PaulVi and I are going to do a flight compairison together.
They both start out as Wild Wings and weigh almost the same. Paul flys several wings, so it should be fun. I'll post some more pics later. Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2006, 10:34 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
Heres a pic for a member of a carbon fiber tube, motor mount for a CustomCDR single, that I glued into my Slo-Cat.
Old Nov 07, 2006, 01:00 AM
Who's that?
Joined Apr 2006
20 Posts
Thanks Butch, looks easy and light.
radiobb is offline Find More Posts by radiobb
Old Nov 07, 2006, 12:02 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
The question was asked, where did I get the clamp? I made it from 016 aluminum sheet and a 2mm allen screw. Butch
Old Nov 07, 2006, 12:47 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Looking foward to getting together.. the WildCat is lookin good..

I flew after work for a few in the field by the airport, actually i had the camera on it too.. You thing each of thos could handle another .8oz if so maybe it could make a realy good slow fly AP platform..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Nov 09, 2006, 08:43 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
Well I got off work a bit early and took the Wild-Cat Boomer out for a flight. It was just before dark. It really flys well! I put it into slow flight and put it through some stalls and it had no problems at all. It actually flys nice and slow and then picks up quite well for a IPS motor.
So I guess PaulVi and I will do a compairison test with my Wild Wing-Lite. It well be interesting to see the difference between a Flying Wing and a Boomer made from the same wing. Butch
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:56 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
Mounting the fuselage was a pain. It would have been easier to glue it on and seal up the bottom hole to the rc gear, then cut a hole on top, But I figured I'd just build it the way the Wild Wing came, w/out too many mods, so it'd be easier for beginners to build. What I did, was fit up the fuselage and canopy tight to the wing, then glued the canopy with 5min epoxy to the fuse with the wing in the midddle, so it held the right shape. The I put a dowel in the center tip of the wing and into the fuselage to center the wing. Next I used the supplied velcro, to fasten the rear of the fuselage to the wing.
I took it out and flew it again to check everything. But when I launched it upward, it went stright into the ground, no damage, EPP! Upon inspection, I had plugged the motor in backwards. So I launched it again and it flew great.
Heres a pic, I haven't finnished everything yet, but its close.
If any of you local members are in the area, stop by and give it a try!!
Butch
Old Nov 15, 2006, 01:21 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
Some members have asked for more info, so I take some more pics. If there anything you don't understand, please ask. Butch
Old Nov 15, 2006, 01:44 PM
Tenino WA.
Joined May 2004
1,195 Posts
Butch, more photo's would be great, but if you could post some drawings, giving measurements / angles etc. it would help simple minded people like me..

Jack

kinda got mixed up with ur other thread (Beginners EPP Trainer), still like more photos / drawings on ALL your planes (boomers / slow small area fliers)..
CRASHED AGAIN is offline Find More Posts by CRASHED AGAIN
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:03 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
I picked up some more black EPP for the fuselages, so if someone's build a Wild-Cat and needs the EPP fuselage, send me a PM. Butch
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:14 AM
just winging it
Fairfield, CA 94533
Joined Oct 2006
412 Posts
john wing is offline Find More Posts by john wing
Last edited by john wing; Apr 01, 2007 at 05:30 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 04:01 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
After seeing how well the Wild-Cat Boomer flew, even at half throttle, with a IPS motor, I decided to build a LPS motor version. I had a 20" EPP pocket wing laying around and thoes darn things are too fast for my eyes, so I donated it to the project.
So I guess I'll call it the Pocket-Cat Boomer!
So far, its 18.5 wing span, 1.9ozs w/o batt, GWS LPS B2C B gearing w/6050 prop, Berg 4L, two 4.5 servos, GWS 50 ESC,
I got it mocked up. Then shaved a gram off the LPS, from 11.5 to 10.5 and mounted it on a carbon fiber tube. I'll use one servo to run the ailerons like I did my first Boomer, the Slo-Cat. I'm going to find a smaller batt that my 340's, then get it set up. Butch
Old Nov 20, 2006, 01:22 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
A couple years ago one of my first attempts was a Pico-Cat Boomer. A Pico Stick, w/ IPS motor. The Pico Stick flew slow enough, but the large prop up front, was always getting broke by beginners. The problem I had was the stright wing put the C/G in a forward possision on the wing(swept back puts it back more). So with the twin tail and the motor in the back, I had to make a Very long nose to put the batt out front so it would ballance!
So what I came up with is motor towards the front with a carbon fiber driveshaft.
That allowed me to shorten the nose alot. I got a few flights before I tried something else, because I needed something that would handle more wind and EPP was getting easier to get. I started building a aileron version to get more control in smaller flying areas, some day I'll post it. Heres some pics. Butch
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:29 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Thanks or the pics Butch, they clear up how the booms are attached. Am I correct in thinking that the fuse is glued over the the reciever, and thebattery is velcro-ed to the side of the fuse?

paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond