HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2007, 12:39 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
No Threat, Yes there is a gearbox. If you look closely at the pics on post #100, you can see it. We're using a IPS-A and 8043/8060 prop, with a 340-550 mah 3 cell lipo.

Phil, On the IPS-A, 3 cell, the 8043 pulls about 2.1A and the 8060 pulls about 2.5A.
So I usually use the 8060 and just use 80% power, then I have a power reserve to get it out of trouble or for a quick climb.
After about 5-8 minutes of flying, the voltage will have droped enough to use full power and not exceed 2amps.
The IPS motors are 7.2volt motors and don't last that long anyways, but with throttle management, 70-100, 15-20minute flights seem to be average.
Then if the planes still in good shape, just change it out for a brushless! Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2007, 04:00 PM
Sticks & Stones
Kinston, North Carolina
Joined Dec 2006
214 Posts
Butch 777,

Took your advice and ordered a wild wing last night. Have a Delta on the quick build list, and shipping the will probably take a week. Windy Day Flyer!!!!

Thanks, STRICK
Strick is offline Find More Posts by Strick
Old Jun 08, 2007, 07:41 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
Ok Stick!
Theres several ways to build and motors it can use, so let me know what ever you can't figure out. Butch
Old Jun 08, 2007, 08:34 PM
Genesee Valley WNY
Joined Apr 2006
117 Posts
too funny,

while I was in the LHS a while back trying to convince my wife to let me buy a plane..that is what I got. I finally upgraded to an aero ace..hehe....now I am starting th real stuff
NoThreat is offline Find More Posts by NoThreat
Old Jun 09, 2007, 06:55 AM
Genesee Valley WNY
Joined Apr 2006
117 Posts
for me that many flights is alot...especially when the motor is so cheap.
Old Jun 09, 2007, 09:18 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
And once you get about 20-30 flying planes, the motors seem to really last long!
Old Jun 10, 2007, 07:27 PM
Sticks & Stones
Kinston, North Carolina
Joined Dec 2006
214 Posts
Butch 777,

Have delivery confirmation for Wild Wing, delivery should be Friday UPS! Can you send me the dimensions for the nose or fuse addition. Will be narrowing wing, using Blue Wonder, Thunderbird-9, Epp verticals, balsa stab, Berg or GWS receiver, and HS-55s servos.

Has anyone added any landing gear? Removable according to land field conditions.

Thanks, Rick
Strick is offline Find More Posts by Strick
Old Jun 10, 2007, 07:59 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
Hey Rick,
Just PM me your address and I'll send you a paper pattern for the fuselage and vertical tail. What size batt are you thinking of using?
Haven't messed with landing gear yet, let us know how it goes. Butch
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:06 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
Well I got tired of waiting for the wind to calm enough to test fly the RTF Boomers I need to ship, so I went out and was hopeing the wind gods would give me a break!

On the way over to the feild, the small trees were bent over at a 45 degree angle!
I thinkin, Great! , I got these 7oz, IPS powered Boomers, to get trimmed and make sure they cut the mustard.
Now the IPS Boomer can fly on a windy day, but these were not mine and I wanted to send them to there owners without repairs!
Just transporting them from the car to the field was not fun.
The wind was 9mph gusting to 16mph and very gusty/with lots of shear.

At the field, on the grass, I had planes blowing away. Yes it was windy.

Well I got them maidened and all went well. I didn't dare fly them more than 5 minutes each. Didn't want to push my luck.
I've already started on a faster WildWing Boomer. I just got to work out some details on the motor mount. I'm trying to keep it simple. Butch
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:52 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
On the last batch of RTF's, I reinforced the fuselage with a carbon fiber rod, about .80 and 8"'s long. I used a long tool to drill the hole, through the nose, just under the battery cut-out. I used 15min epoxy to give me working time and pushed it in about 1"
countersunk, so the EPP would still have a soft nose.
I'm trying to find some 1.0 lb black EPP, but the usual suppliers don't have any, so I can make the fuselage just a bit wider, without adding much weight.
That way it has a better bounce and less repairs for beginners.

The EPP I'm using now bounces on minor impacts, but a beginners stright in, full power impact, tends to snap off the nose.
So Bring a roll of tape and just put it back on, then once you get home, use some EPP glue or contact glue to do a good repair.

Its very imoprtant to do your firts couple flights on calm days, in a huge field, with no trees or people. After you get used to it, you can fly in the street infront of your house.
All the RTF Boomers I'm currently sending out, are IPS versions and were test flown with the 8060 prop on them because of the high wind.
The IPS motor is already High-strung and maxed out to get the most out of a small light motor.
On the 8043 prop it can run full power the full flight.
The 8060 gives it about 15-20% more power, which is great in the wind, but will burn up the motor in 25-30 flights if ran at full power all the time. So just put it up to full power and then bring it back a notch or two.
Also the speed controllers are the light, inexpensive type, just fly for about 15 minutes and then bring it in. Don't fly till the motors shuts off, it will damage your batt.
Most likely, after you wear out the IPS motor, you can get a brushless replacement and a cheap brushless ESC(speed controller). Then you can use the 8060 prop at fullpower and the motor will last 10 times longer than the IPS motor. Butch
Old Jun 12, 2007, 05:41 AM
Genesee Valley WNY
Joined Apr 2006
117 Posts
Hey butch, the 8043 prop...Im thinking I will use that oe since I fly on calm days and want to go slow. Whats the equivilent for that prop in ##x## like 1x8 or whatever, Im still trying to figure that stuff out. I can get them at the LHS
that will determine my boom spread also. aare those GWS props?
My big tower hobby order is coming in, I had to get an IPS thats real close the the IPS A since it was out of stock....and of course 2 days after I order it bphobbies has it...
Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:29 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,136 Posts
8043 = 8x4.3 prop (9050 = 9x5 prop, 1038 = 10x3.8 prop, etc.)

80 = 8.0" diameter

43 = 4.3" of forward movement per revolution (think of it in terms of how "course" or "fine" the "screw" is)

Different size props are better suited to different motors depending on how many amps they draw, the speed they turn at efficiently, and how much torque/speed they have - so you can't arbitrarily change props without knowing what that does to your stall speed and thrust. Typically, if you want to fly slow, you run a bigger prop with a finer "screw" on a low-voltage battery and a motor with good torque (many winds). If you want to fly fast, run a smaller prop with more "screw" on a high voltage battery and a motor with good speed (few winds). This is a gross generalization, but you can find out everything you want to know in the "power systems" forum.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:48 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Hi Butch, I can't wait to get my new Boomer from you. What's the deal on that little IPS motor concerning what lipos I can use. I have some 2 cell
800mah Eflites from my CX2, can I use them? can I safely run a 3 cell 800mah lipos on it?
Thanks, Scott
Scott_S. is offline Find More Posts by Scott_S.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 01:55 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
No Threat, What IPS motor did you get?? If you change to a different gear set-up, then the correct prop for it, in the Boomer will have to be figured out.

Hey Scott. Each Boomer is set up to take a certin size lipo. I use the 340-480mah for there light weight and they still give you over 15 minutes flying time. But each batt has a certin weight and size and has to be in the right place in the fuselage to ballance the C/G properly.
If you put in a larger or smaller batt, it would throw off the balance. Plus to make these IPS motors perform well, I use a 3 cell batt and by doing so, I can safely get another 30% more power out of them.
You could run your 800mah 3 cell, but you couldn't put it into the batt slot in the fuselage, because it'd be in the wrong place to ballance the C/G.
So you'd have to cut another slot in the fuselage. But you could just tape it to the fuselage, thats what I do when I test fly them to find the best G/G.
I've got extra new batts, if you want. Butch
Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:11 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777
Hey Scott. Each Boomer is set up to take a certin size lipo. I use the 340-480mah for there light weight and they still give you over 15 minutes flying time. But each batt has a certin weight and size and has to be in the right place in the fuselage to ballance the C/G properly.
If you put in a larger or smaller batt, it would throw off the balance. Plus to make these IPS motors perform well, I use a 3 cell batt and by doing so, I can safely get another 30% more power out of them.
You could run your 800mah 3 cell, but you couldn't put it into the batt slot in the fuselage, because it'd be in the wrong place to ballance the C/G.
So you'd have to cut another slot in the fuselage. But you could just tape it to the fuselage, thats what I do when I test fly them to find the best G/G.
I've got extra new batts, if you want. Butch
OK, I may buy another lipo from you when you send me shipping costs.
Let me know, thanks! Don't forget the AR6000 Rx, that thing was hard to find
Scott
Scott_S. is offline Find More Posts by Scott_S.