HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:04 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
Build Log
Boomers!! Parkflyers for Beginners to Pros! Vid post 125

Boomers! A twin boom plane like the Cessna SkyMaster, also known as a Cat type plane, like Aero-Cat or Bob-Cat, etc.
I've been experimenting with planes that will fly in very small areas on a windy day. Like right in front of my house, on the street.
It also had to survive impacting cars, light poles, trees and the ground, etc.
So it was best to be a pusher, EPP foam, light weight, high power to weight ratio, slow flight, airfoil for the wind, quick turning, high wing helps, good crash survivability and cheap and easy to build. No Prob! Right!!
Beginners also need most of these requirements.

So after some experimenting with a lot of different types, I built a Boomer I call a Slo-Cat, because I used a Slofly EPP Flying Wing for the wing cores.
At 6ozs, with 12ozs of thrust, can fly in 15mph winds and into a 2 car garage and out, its a lot of fun.
I started to let my students fly it on days that were too windy for their beginner planes and most did very well.

Most beginners need a pusher to survive the crashes. But most the beginner pushers are speed 300 or 400 motors, with small props. on medium to large planes, that really need some space for a beginner to fly.

So I've been experimenting with boomers, made from different EPP type planes, that are currently available at a decent price.
And I decided to set them up first, with cheap brushed motors and lipos, so the beginner can get started without so much cash.
The 1st Boomer is my Slo-Cat, Then I built a Stryker Boomer, with a GWS 350. Now I'm building a Wild Wing Boomer, A Wild-Cat, you could call it.
I first built a Wild Wing-Lite, with a GWS IPS motor. It flys quite well. I have a Thread on it over in the Flying Wing Forum.
First, here's some pics of my Slo-Cat Boomer. Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Last edited by Butch777; May 08, 2007 at 02:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:18 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
Next is a pic of the Stryker, then the Wild Wing-Lite.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 04:02 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
This will be a Lite build, because of the IPS motor. Also because the Wild Wing is a bit large for a IPS motor and the bay holes are quite large, I desided to cut the wing span down to 31", from 35". All I did is cut out 4"s, cut a slot for the IPS stick and glue it back together.
Then I put 4 stright pins into the leading and trailing edges, set them on blocks, to get the cord line of the wing level with the table. That way, I could get the booms in alinement with the wing cord.
The Wild Wing comes with 5 pieces of carbon fiber tube. 2 long, 2 medium and one short. I used the medium ones for the booms. The spread of the booms depends on the prop size. So I went with a trimed 8" prop for this build with the IPS motor. Later I'll switch to a CustomCDR single or maybe a Esskay 400 and run a 7.5 prop.
The keep things light on the boom, I used depron that I had left over from some GWS planes. For the hinges I used CA hinges, that were hole punched on the sides to let them move freely. I haven't desided on the exact location of the tail yet, so I left the booms long and pre-built the tail to set in place, then take some measurements and do a early C/G check. I'll post some more later, Butch
Old Oct 23, 2006, 09:38 AM
United States, VA, Bedford
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Did you just use the bipe flying wing cores from here:

http://slofly.com/cart/product_info....oducts_id=1269

Can you get two planes out of one "kit"? If so, this would be a terrific deal! Thanks for the effort you've put into creating an easy flying and "crashable" model. I'm interested so see where this goes. I'm still interested in seeing where the Sky Angel thread is going too.
shawn595 is offline Find More Posts by shawn595
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:15 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
No, its not the flat wings from Slofly.com. Its a Wing they used to sell, that flew very well slow. I did however build a flat wing Boomer, but even though I put several C/F rods in the wings. they still flexed too much on windy days. I'll post a pic later.
The Sky Angel also is a good beginner plane to convert, because the props usually don't touch the ground, plus its EPP and its basicly all put together!
Flying wings are good beginners planes, for those who have some basic experiance.But only if its built light, to go slow. But they are pitch sensitive and the C/G has to be right on.
The tails on the Boomers, add some pitch stability and improve aerobatic flight.
So it makes it a better beginner plane and its lots of fun for those of us that fly in smaller places. Butch
Old Oct 23, 2006, 08:46 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
Hobby People has the Wild Wing on sale till Oct 30 for $19.99. Thats over 30% off and there shipping is fair. I just ordered 2 planes, 7 rx's and shipping was under $10.00
Old Oct 26, 2006, 02:56 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
I built some EPP trainers called the SportyT, there's a thread in the Beginners area.
They are made out of 9mm EPP sheet, I got from Slofly.com. They fly fine in calm wind, but are a bit pitch sensitive because of there flat wing. I built a pusher/Boomer to experiment with. It flew ok, but needed a airfoil wing.
It showed that a EPP pusher, with large prop, twin boom and high wing, did very well as a beginner plane. There were many crashes with no real damage. Heres a pic of the SportyT and the SportyT Boomer.
So the Wild-Cat Boomer, should be a good trainner, we'll see.
I've been working on the fuselage design and shape. I'll post it soon.
Butch
Old Oct 26, 2006, 03:41 PM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Thanks for the update. The Wild-Cat Boomer looks really impressive! I'm interested to what comes of this!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:38 PM
America the ruling country
Joined Dec 2003
3,204 Posts
They look sharp Butch!
sloper steve is offline Find More Posts by sloper steve
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:09 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
Thanks Steve & Shawn,
I'm trying to come up with a fuselage shape that looks good and will allow me to put the batt forward enough to get the C/G right.
So far I ruffed this fuselage out. I made it out of 3 layers of 9mm EPP. Since I'm running a IPS motor on this prototype, I'm trying to keep things light.

With the wing, tail and fuselage, but no hardware or electronics, its right at 3ozs.
Not to bad. I'll use a IPS-A w/8043 prop, Berg 4L, 3 pico servos, Y-connector and a small lipo 3 cell, maybe a 340 Kokam. I decided to use 2 aileron servos and a Y-connector, since the Wild Wing comes with the pockets already molded in, and for ease of construction. Also just incase some one wants to build one.
Heres a pic. Butch
Old Oct 28, 2006, 03:53 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Thats not the WW is it??? If so your a real Dr. Franstien...

Keep it up its looking good..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Oct 29, 2006, 01:37 AM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
As Paul Vi said, what you're doing is looking good! I'd like to see what you finally come up with and what the final cost is for the plane.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 03:07 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
Well if you get the Wing on sale, besides electronics, it's only going to cost a bit more. I just used Depron to keep it light. You could sand the supplied elevons down to thin them up and it already comes with the carbon fiber tubes and tape. So actully some depron or balsa for the horizontial stab and elevator and a extra push rod and control horn, then the fuselage is EPP, hand cut, sanded and only costs a few bucks!
Butch
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:51 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
You could probably hot wire EPS for the wing, cover it in tape and just use EPP for the fuselage. That would be almost as tough, about the same weight and much cheaper...

Also, have you tried adding more area to the horizontal tail? That might make it easier to balance, because the ideal CG should be a bit further back.

How do you make your EPP fuselages?

I'm watching with interest - the search for a good trainer for windy days is a tough one.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Nov 01, 2006, 08:18 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
At 6ozs the Slo-Cat Boomer, has a amazing amount of controllability in a tight area and in 15mph winds or more. Doing loops, stalls and tight turns, just 5-10ft off the ground, left another member hardly believing I was in control. Untill he flew it.
The elevator big enough to do a loop in less than 6ft. The EPP fuselage gives the batt a safe place to survive the many crashes flying so low and in small areas.
I use a belt sander to shape the EPP and I get it from many sorces. I work on sports cars, like corvettes, lotus and lamborghini's. I sub contract and so I pick up alot of broken EPP bumper reinforcements and EPP that the auto hoods and bumpers are shipped in. Butch