Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:23 PM
Olympia, Wa
Joined Oct 2006
21 Posts
Help!
1970's MRC FM radio--5 pin connectors

I have this old MRC unit in excellent condition and would like to install it in one of the first planes I ever built (sterling piper super cub) I am now converting all my planes to electric power and need to know if it is possible and how to wire my phoenix 60 amp ESC to this 5 pin connector -- I plan to use a receiver battery that is original equipment so I only need to know which pin holes to hook to the brown and orange wires of the ESC --hope someone out there is as nostalgic as me--air-bob
air-bob is offline Find More Posts by air-bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:50 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Has this transmitter been upgraded ("gold stickered") to operate on one of the 50 72 MHz frequencies and narrow-banded.....? If not, it's not legal to even turn it on, never mind hook up a Phoenix-60 to it.

If it HAS, hopefully someone will know if/how one can hook a normal 3-wire servo (or something that to the receiver looks like one) to a 5-wire setup.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:05 AM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
My .02

Considering how cheaply a simple 4-6 channel radio system can be had for these days. Why risk a plane (and possibly more), by using an old Dinosaur of a radio. You could sell it to a collector to pay or offset the cost of a new system.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:24 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
I plan to use a receiver battery that is original equipment
Not only that, but what are the odds of an ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT NiCd battery being any good after 30+ years?

That's a crash waiting to happen.

Frankly, your best bet is to either send the whole radio and airborne pack to a radio repair center, and get it narrow-banded, tuned, pots cleaned, and a general checkout of the components for suitability for flight. Wires corrode (black wire syndrome), and connections degrade over time. If not inspected, these will cause a crash sooner or later.

Or, put the system on a shelf for display.

It's not worth the cost to get it airworthy, in my opinion--not when you can buy a nice modern 4 or 5 channel set for cheap.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Last edited by ElectRick; Oct 23, 2006 at 11:30 AM.