HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2002, 11:19 AM
Temecula, CA
Joined Aug 2002
18 Posts
Where to get foam for scratch building

Hi All,

newbie here. I am interested in scratch building some foam planes and was wondering what types of foam work best and are readily available at a local Home Depot/Lowes?

THANKS

-Peter
Peter_L is offline Find More Posts by Peter_L
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2002, 12:37 PM
Deep Sea
OFallon, MO
Joined Jul 2001
609 Posts
Do a search on Bluecor fanfold and you will find lots of interesting projects. It's available at most hardware stores.
Eric
Navy Diver is offline Find More Posts by Navy Diver
Old Aug 27, 2002, 05:53 PM
Wayne's World - Illinois
Joined May 2002
847 Posts
Hey peter, what kind of foam are you interested in; blue core fanfold, pink fanfold, or white bead board{or yes-all of the above-lol}. Lowes is a fine source for blue fanfold, the foam is a 1/4" thick, comes in a big folded block for roughly $30.00,it has a skin on it which doesn't like to take paint well{but that can be worked around} but does roll very well to make rounded fuselages. The owens corning pink fanfold is more brittle than the blue type, has no skin to deal with, is also 1/4" thick and a big folded block, and runs roughly $27.00 for a pack/block at home depot. Then there's white bead board...I get mine from woodland scenics, available online or at hobbytown's{LHS}. It comes in 1",2",3" and 4" thick blocks that are 1' wide by 2' long. I have they're foam cutter as well to cut these blocks up with, but there's quite a few guys on this site who can help you make a homemade cutter of yourown. If you use CA, ONLY use foam safe CA like "super-gold plus"{from hobbytown or other LHS's}. Two part epoxy works very well for all these types of foam...use 5min for speed and longer curing for bigger jobs. Another source for glue is elmer's white glue or wood glue. Sooooo...what did ya have in mind?
Scratchbuilder is offline Find More Posts by Scratchbuilder
Old Aug 27, 2002, 05:57 PM
Temecula, CA
Joined Aug 2002
18 Posts
Well I "think" I am looking for the Blue Core Fanfold. Just want to make some small parkflyers to power with my Mini Max gear. 280 motor with I think 4:1 or so gears.

I checked my local Home Depot and did not see any, where would I look?

THANKS

-Peter
Old Aug 27, 2002, 06:44 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,874 Posts
Fan Fold in California, not!

Peter,

I have been monitoring the foamies forum for many months and have not seen one post of anyone in California, or the west coast in general, who could find this foam in a hardware store. The closest we can do is the foamcore or posterboard in the craft stores or WalMart. This is quite a bit more expensive and has the additional downside of having to remove the paper via soaking and scrubbing.

I think we need to get some modellers together and make a bulk purchase of some fan-fold from the mid-west and split the shipping costs. It might be reasonable for say 10 or 12 of us to put in on one shipment and get the shipping cost way down.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Aug 28, 2002, 10:25 AM
Temecula, CA
Joined Aug 2002
18 Posts
Where to get foam for scratch building (West Coast)

I would be up for that.

Another option would be if someone could post a Home Depot stock number or Sku #, I bet we could possibly special order it through Home Depot.

Let me know.

THANKS

-Peter
Old Aug 28, 2002, 06:32 PM
Wayne's World - Illinois
Joined May 2002
847 Posts
Hmmmmm. gentlemen, may I suggest trying this site;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hbfa/ Post on the board and I'm sure someone will be able to help out...PS, it's a fanfold board!
Or, get a REALLY comfy chair, bowl or two of popcorn{yeah-two!} and check out this {lol};
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1
Hope this helps out....
Scratchbuilder is offline Find More Posts by Scratchbuilder
Last edited by Scratchbuilder; Aug 28, 2002 at 06:36 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2002, 12:40 AM
oex
Norco,CA
Joined Sep 2001
59 Posts
I think we need to get some modellers together and make a bulk purchase of some fan-fold from the mid-west and split the shipping costs. It might be reasonable for say 10 or 12 of us to put in on one shipment and get the shipping cost way down.

Count me in!!
(Riverside)

I would like to try the foam scene but I don't want a garage full of the stuff

Bill

csalek@netzero.net
oex is offline Find More Posts by oex