SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:10 AM
San Antonio, Tx
Joined Jul 2002
1,021 Posts
Firebat actually flies!!!!!!!!!!!

Great News!!! I actually got my Firebat to fly and land sucessfully. Actually I few it three times yesterday for 8+ minutes each flight. It was pretty awesome. It has a acrazy roll rate and I even managed a few loops. It seems to fly at about the same speed as my PCJ but it is a little more touchy on the controls and seems to wander on the trim? I'm not sure of the all up weight but I did use standard servos, and had to add lead inside the nose to balance it. I even put all the decals on it. I used different equipment than came with the deluxe kit: a 480 motor from Dymond (kit Gunther prop), Pegasus 35 amp ESC, and an 8 cell battery pack made from old Firebird XL block packs ( a little smaller and lighter than the battery that came with the kit) After the flight the battery was a little warm but the motor was cool to the touch. I'm possitive that the problem with the last kit was the motor/battery combination; not the plane itself! Thanks for all the encouragement from everyone here on the Ezone!

SteveO is offline Find More Posts by SteveO
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:38 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS AND YIPEE!!!!!

thats two! we seem to be in the minority..ha,ha......or some exclusive club ,maybe we should have some patches made ...."we actually got a firebat to fly......"
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 27, 2002, 11:01 AM
San Antonio, Tx
Joined Jul 2002
1,021 Posts
I was rerady to go out and celebrate for sure! I had been working on the old Firebat for two months trying to get it to fly. I finally gave up on it and built this new one. Overall I didn't do anything different in the building process, just the power system changes. It does look pretty good flying throught the air. I was confident with it the last flight i used a KR600AU 7 cell battery pack. I still got 8+ minutes of flight time. This is a big deal for me, I'm not one to accept a technical defeat easily, I'm definitely glad I stuck it out and made it work.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 11:08 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Did you use the stock motor?
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Aug 27, 2002, 11:10 AM
San Antonio, Tx
Joined Jul 2002
1,021 Posts
I used a 480 motor I got from Dymond. It seems to run cooler and have much more thrust than the original supplied in the kit.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 11:18 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
you might.....

want to try the geared motor set up previously mentioned(lighter ,no lead), with a bigger prop it flys even better and longer.....have sent pics to hippo of setup ...check it out!
Old Aug 27, 2002, 11:25 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,091 Posts
You sound as if you did not expect it to fly!

Let's have some pics then?
Up&Away is online now Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Aug 27, 2002, 11:29 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
and...

when do we get to have fun by bashing GP again......?
Old Aug 27, 2002, 11:30 AM
San Antonio, Tx
Joined Jul 2002
1,021 Posts
Actually I am waiting for my local hobby shop to get in the 300 geared GWS power set up to try. I was going to try and mount the Wattage geared 370 (from a Tubby Cubby) but couldn't see a good way to mount it without adding weight and drag from the mounts. I also bought a Electrajet last week and was thinking about trying it's geared motor setup on the firebat. Although after last nights flight i'm pretty happy with the plane, I do have one qestion though. What would make the aileron trim change during flight after turns? In other words I have to recenter the trim allot during flight. Perhaps the ailerons are shifting and need stronger hinges?
Old Aug 27, 2002, 11:47 AM
San Antonio, Tx
Joined Jul 2002
1,021 Posts
@ Up and Away- Actually if you knew the history of the Firebat and read the other posts here on the Ezone you would know why I was so suprised that it did fly. This is my second Firebat, the first one was a total failure. gpw is about the only other person here who has had sucess flying the Firebat out of countless others who have tried. He used a geared motor system to make it happen. I'm not sure if anyone has managed to get one flying using just the stock gear in the deluxe kit.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 02:28 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Great news Steve!! Are you sure it was a FireBat?? LOL.. I think Tom has managed to get his to fly with a hotter battery. That would make 3 flying and 200 million grounded.. JK. Your persistance is an inspiration, but I am not quite inspired enough to go drop another $50. LOL. I noticed that the imported FoxBat is now being supplied with a 480 for the same $50... hmmm... getting inspired.

Oh and you are also not lineing GP's pockets when you buy the FoxBat either.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Aug 27, 2002, 02:36 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention. I have a trim issue with my 36" delta plane. As the batteries slowly bleed power the torque from the engine lessens requiring trim. Could this be your trim problem?

I just noticed that it happens after you make turns. Could be loose ailerons, is there alot of play in them? It could also be that your servos don't have the power(hinges to tight/bindage) to center after a turn.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Aug 27, 2002 at 02:38 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 03:29 PM
San Antonio, Tx
Joined Jul 2002
1,021 Posts
Kehn- thanks for the kind words. The aileron thing might be my issue, it may be the the loosness if the hinge point or more likely the rods too tight in the tubes. I'll check that out tonight. Now all I have to do is find out where to send back the first firebat. I know Great Planes is the destination but other than that I'm not sure.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 06:57 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
was told by OFB

I may have this wrong ,but OFB told Ann Marie Cross( or Croft) was the lady to talk to at GP...check it out ...there are three million others waiting on your success.....
Old Aug 27, 2002, 07:49 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Great work, SteveO. I'm starting to feel more and more positive about my Foxbat, which I plan to build sometime this winter and fly next spring. I will be especially interested in your comparison of performance between the direct drive Dymond 480 and the geared 300.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich