HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2006, 03:04 AM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
610 Posts
Discussion
Question about brushless motors, props, and programmable ESC's

I am considering building a semi-scale motor-glider with a cowl that may be too wide to permit a folding prop. Is there a way to allow the prop to spin with the wind without using power?

At this point in the project, I am open to any number of solutions - including the use of one of those variable pitch prop & motor combinations.

Thoughts?

P.S. If this is an inappropriate forum for this question, PM me, and I will move it.
CurtissP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2006, 03:17 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
Unless you activate the break feature, the prop will spin with the wind anyway.

A spinning prop will actually add more aerodynamic drag than a stopped prop tho. Is that what you want?

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Old Oct 21, 2006, 03:20 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,093 Posts
Free spinning props are very draggy.
If you can't get the prop to fold you are better off with a strong brake.
Several ESCs, including Castle, give you the option of brake or no brake.

If you choose a higher rpm, smaller diameter prop instead of a bigger slower turning one drag in glide mode will be reduced at the expense of some climb performance.

A folder is the best option if possible.

Pat Mackenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie