SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:22 PM
Joined Oct 2006
3 Posts
Discussion
UK: Just bought Airlifter from Komplett.co.uk - Need Help

Hi,

It's my first post so bear with me, I have a bit of experience with RC cars but none with planes.

I've got a Silverlit Fury (band B - excellent buy at 10 second hand from my local model shop including the batteries!). I have decided that I wanted to get 3 models so I could fly them with my mates for a laugh, well their all really cheap so it's worth it. I've ordered an Airlifter (band C - got this now) and a Sports Flyer (band A - still waiting on this one) to complete the set. I have ordered them from www.Komplett.co.uk

Ok, so here is the problem. I got the Airlifter (C) on Monday and took it for a test flight that night, along with my Fury (B) and my mates Fury also (B). We tried to get both my Airlifter and my mates Fury working at the same time but it would appear that although they are supposed to be on different freq's they aren't, the Airlifter can be controlled from both my mates (B) controller and my own from my Fury controller??? Has anyone else had an Airlifter or other Silverlit model claim to be a freq that it isn't? I presume that I can just use the old soldering iron and solder the correct jumpers to *make* it (C), does anyone have instructions on how to do this on the Airlifter?

I have taken the controller apart to see if the right band was soldered, I couldn't find the right part to look at but I did see that the circuit board was labelled Band (B) written on it's edge, does this actually show the band of the controller or is it the same for all bands?

Ok, onto my next problem.....

I got my mate to switch off his tranny and I proceeded to test fly the Airlifter, however no matter what I tried it always pulls to the right? Even with full trim left and full steering left it still goes right, although it only seems to do this when on power? when off the power it *seems* to fly straight? Does anyone have any idea why this might be, I'm completely stumped? Although one thing I have noticed is that my Fury's props spin in opposite directions whereas my Airlifters props both spin in the same direction, could this be the problem?

Also my Airlifter tranny appears to have been built without the small spring that returns the speed control stick back to off, it just hasn't been installed at all, even the screw and washer is missing?

I'm thinking that I may have got a lemon here but I really can't be bothered returning it to Komplett and waiting for it to be RMA'd etc if I can just fix it myself quite simply.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated, I love my Fury and the Airlifter has great potential......

Any suggestions for tips for increasing performance on these planes (I know this has been discussed alot before but I can't find anything specifically for the Airlifter or Fury - Not sure what an AA is, but it appears loads of you guys have it and this is what get's discussed most).

Thanks for looking.

Regards,
MrBroon is offline Find More Posts by MrBroon
Last edited by MrBroon; Oct 19, 2006 at 07:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:27 PM
"On the Wing"
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
757 Posts
It is possible that it is a lemon. Try calling the company you got it from and see if they will exchange it for you.
paulo810 is offline Find More Posts by paulo810
Old Oct 20, 2006, 01:58 AM
Joined Oct 2006
3 Posts
Thanks Paul, I will try that if I have to, but I was really looking to try and fix it if possible as a return will take a while to sort out.

Regards,

Jim.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:41 AM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,041 Posts
if the plane flys straight with the motors off, but then turns to the right when the motors are running, its either prop torque from the props, or one (or both) of the motors is angled in the wrong way. as you noticed, the AAs have counter rotating props, which cancells out the prop torque and it'll fly straight. if both props spin in the same direction, the prop torque will make the plane want to turn on its own.

a couple simple things to try:
one, try adjusting the motors/props so they point to the right a little bit. or if one of them is pointing more towards the left, try to angle it back to the right. if that doesnt work, you could try just angling the rudder to the left. if all else fails, you could try adding a little bit of weight to the left wing tip. this isnt the best way to go, but it might work.

nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Oct 20, 2006, 05:43 PM
Joined Oct 2006
3 Posts
Thanks Nick. Well I just fell foul of my first dumb-ass try at fixing the problem! I re-soldered the wires on the rhs motor to go in reverse thinking aha! now that blade will counter-rotate against the other one. Pity I hadn't remembered this would also make it push air rather than pull it! Doh!!!

Back to the drawing board.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 06:32 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
956 Posts
Hi Broon

The Airlifter seems to be a problem child, I returned one that simply wouldn't fly (motors would cut out for several seconds and barely developped enough power to sustain flight).

- If you bought it second hand could it be that the dealer dropped a B band plane in a C band box?
- The AA (AeroAce) is what the Xtwin is labelled in the US
- Have you checked your wing for warp?
http://www.lotek.nu/Silverlit/SnedAirlifter1.jpg
http://www.lotek.nu/Silverlit/SnedAirlifter2.jpg
Is what a twisted wing looks like.
- The Airlifter props rotate in the same direction by design.

Try micro-builder's suggestions
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Oct 22, 2006, 08:37 AM
Foam nerd!
Johannesburg
Joined Aug 2006
38 Posts
I too have had this problem.

I bought the airlifter first and only then saw the Xtwins on my next visit to TRU.

Bear in mind the Airlifter is almost 4 times the weight of the Xtwin, runs on NMH batteries and is a really sluggish flyer once in the air.

I have had the same problem with the "B" channel airlifter working on the "C" band of the Xtwin.

At the moment my airlifter is lying in pieces on the shelf. I'm looking for time and a really good idea to transfer it into the beast it should be.

It looks to me like the airlifter is an older design that Silverlit basically used as a spring board for the Xtwin design. To be fair, when i first flew the airlifter i was thrilled, of course when i got the Xtwins the airlifter just seemed to be outdated.
devyl is offline Find More Posts by devyl