SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: how do you feel about macs?
Everything mac makes is horrible and Steve Jobs needs to have his heart eaten by the hounds of satan 1 3.03%
I don't hate them, but I know that the Mac OS is horribly slow and nnoying 0 0%
They suck, but they have good video editing programs 4 12.12%
I don't care 11 33.33%
macs are ok, but windows is better at a few things 6 18.18%
I love my mac! 6 18.18%
Macs are wonderful, and pc's are worthless in comparison 5 15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:02 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Poll
How do you feel about macs?

Most of the people I know hate macs...because they suck. But other people love em.

What do you think?
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:31 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
Have never used one or even looked at one closely. It's a computer, not a life choice.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:05 AM
You win again, gravity!
Rotterdam, NL
Joined Jun 2004
280 Posts
For some, "computer" and "life choice" are one and the same; enough to have a religious war over

Macs are nice, but MS Windows is what all my favorite software runs on (games, games and games).
Muxje is offline Find More Posts by Muxje
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:10 AM
Fleetwood, Northern England
Joined Jun 2006
303 Posts
That's how I feel too, some people seem to regard it as a slur on their nature if someone chooses a different OS to them. Now we just need a Linux zealot to navigate down from the from the moral highground using their command line interface and really get things going.
northernmonkey is offline Find More Posts by northernmonkey
Last edited by northernmonkey; Oct 19, 2006 at 06:17 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:11 AM
Belfast UK
Joined Dec 2004
22 Posts
Computers are tools - you use the one that makes sense (or that you learned on) - if it gets the job done, does it matter? (I use a Mac, by the way..)
al.cxam is offline Find More Posts by al.cxam
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:12 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
That's exactly the point. Does it really make sense to use a computer that can't get the job done as well?
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:16 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
I use to work @ Cox cable doing internet. When you ran into a Mac everyone got scared and called me. Gave me the job and I took the money. I never did tell them that Macs were easier than the PC.. LOL Just like taking candy from a baby... Now when there was a problem with a Mac. I would tell them quick to get thier computer fixed. I would use my laptop to verify the internet was OK and show them. I can't tell you how many times I have heard ( But I can't find anyone to work on it)

LATER
I would like to have a cheap mac laptop just so I could learn more!
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:51 AM
Hydrofoil Semi-Pilot
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey
That's how I feel too, some people seem to regard it as a slur on their nature if someone chooses a different OS to them. Now we just need a Linux zealot to navigate down from the from the moral highground using their command line interface and really get things going.

PS. Written on a Linux (Xubuntu 6.06) laptop.

PPS. Not using a CLI. I tried though.
spiffy_spaceguy is offline Find More Posts by spiffy_spaceguy
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:13 AM
Belfast UK
Joined Dec 2004
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor22
That's exactly the point. Does it really make sense to use a computer that can't get the job done as well?
What job would that be?
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:18 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
First of I doubt they realize how much harm their current ad program is doing to their brand. It makes the Mac loyalists happy, but that isn't who Mac should be going for.

Second, Apple is a distant number 2 (or 3 or 6 or 10) for one main reason. Macs cost a lot more to buy, upgrade, stock with software and use. PC's are a huge bargain in comparison. Now that isn't as true today as in the past, but if Mac suddenly got a large market share, I would bet dollars to donuts that they would quickly go back to the proprietary model to maximize revenue and profits.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:33 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
It's Ford vs. Chevy to me.

Or maybe Chevy vs. Bugatti, or some other brand that has a miniscule market share.

I like Windows OK, but the new Linux distros are beginning to give it a run for the money as far as ease of setup, use and compatibility go. There are Linux distros out there that will self-install--HANDS OFF--literally from putting the CD in, to displaying a ready to use desktop--that includes Internet config, detecting and installing hardware drivers, and installing printers and peripherals.

I have been running a beta of Windows Vista here at the office for some time now, and I have to admit, it was nearly that easy to install it--it just takes forever to install, due to the sheer size of the OS (7+GB). Aside from that, it's fairly cool, but not revolutionary.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:37 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
The twoallbeefpattiesspecialsaucelettucecheesepickleso nionsonasesameseedbun has my loyalty and love forever!

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:02 PM
Belfast UK
Joined Dec 2004
22 Posts
Yup, Mac vs PC is old... Less than 5% of the market makes it very much a niche player. The iPod is Apple's driving force...
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:40 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by al.cxam
Yup, Mac vs PC is old... Less than 5% of the market makes it very much a niche player. The iPod is Apple's driving force...
Macs are the professional standard for audio and video editing.

Aside from that, Macs are computers for people who don't want to bother learning how to use a computer.

As as far as the asinine circa 1995 feud that PCs are "better" than Macs or vis a versa: Who cares? I'm on a computer 75 plus hours a week, and I sure don't have a problem with either platform.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:51 PM
Belfast UK
Joined Dec 2004
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
Macs are the professional standard for audio and video editing.

Aside from that, Macs are computers for people who don't want to bother learning how to use a computer.

As as far as the asinine circa 1995 feud that PCs are "better" than Macs or vis a versa: Who cares? I'm on a computer 75 plus hours a week, and I sure don't have a problem with either platform.
75+ hours/week - you and me both, brother! I'm a designer by trade and this is another area where Macs (for various reasons) are the professional standard. I think there are plenty of people who don't know how to use a computer that buy PCs - loads of PC users ask me about how to 'fix' things when they go wrong... When it comes to CLIs and the like, you can do all the usual on Macs as well (OSX), as the underlying code is Unix. For those who like to roll up their sleeves and tinker around under the hood, PCs are totally the way to go, tinkerer's paradise!