HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2001, 06:57 PM
Atlanta, Ga
Joined Jun 2001
3 Posts
Any problems using a 4 channel receiver with a 7 channel radio?

If I want to bite the bullet and get a 7 channel Hitec transmitter, will I still be able to use it with their 4 channel feather receivers?
bluex is offline Find More Posts by bluex
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2001, 07:07 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Yep - no worries.
Channel 5-7 in your case will just do nothing.
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Jun 29, 2001, 09:09 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
That just about covers it!

Bluex - you gonna come out to Fayette Flyers field tomorrow and meet a bunch of e-flyers?
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 29, 2001, 11:10 PM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
No problems here with a 9 channel radio using a 7 channel receiver

/Erik
Erik Johansson is offline Find More Posts by Erik Johansson
Old Jul 03, 2001, 10:35 AM
Northants UK
Joined Jun 2001
15 Posts
In theory there should be no problem but I have heard it said that in marginal conditions the receiver is more susceptible to interference during the period of the unused channels while waiting for the sync pulse to reset the pulse counter.

Sorry - dont know any more than that

I'm Flying
Flying is offline Find More Posts by Flying
Old Jul 04, 2001, 05:46 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Mar 2001
386 Posts
You can even use the mixing functions to mix channels 5,6,or 7 down to the other channels.
eg on a 2 servo wing, the second servo is channel 6 on a JR set.
Mix this down to channel 4 (assuming you are not using it for rudder) & with a bit of other mixing you can get flaps & spoilers as well as ailerons- all on a 4 channel receiver.
Haven't worked out how to get aileron differential tho.
Keithw is offline Find More Posts by Keithw
Old Jul 06, 2001, 12:23 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,510 Posts
As Keithw notes, using the programable mixes, you can move some functions around. The built-in mixes are usually easier to use, but if you're trying to do something goofy, you can usually accomplish by using a couple of the programable mixes. Unfortunately, I haven't found a really clear book or manual on the subject (Edberg's books and the manufacturer's manuals are a good starting point, but I've rerely gotten a direct answer from them - only hints on how to do something). What I know I've gleened from others and by hacking around on my own.

I once had a 4 Ch Rx with a broken pin on the Ch-1 connector. As a field fix, used two programmable mixes on a Futaba 6AX to move the aileron channel to the rudder servo output. I set one programable mix to mix Ch-1 100% to Ch-4 (which wasn't in use) and a second mix to mix Ch-4 -100% to Ch-4. The first mix duplicated channel 1 on channel 4's output. The second mix disabled the rudder stick from affecting the servo.

While I haven't tried it, I'll bet you could get two servo differential by the following. Set the two servo aileron mix (or program it manually to Ch-4). Set the Ch-1 ATV (or ATV's equivalent on your Tx) to the reducted down deflection you want on the aileron connected to the Ch-1 servo. Then set the ATV on Ch-6 (or Ch-4 if you've used a programmable mix to move the second servo to Ch-4) to the reduced down deflection you want on the other aileron. You may have to re-adjust the subtrims on each channel slightly but this should work to give more up deflection on each aileron and less down.

- Roger

Oh, yeah! Bluex: Get the Eclipse, you won't be disappointed.
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr