ALL IN !
Carlsbad, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
2,786 Posts
Discussion
Dave Kellogg April 5, 1948 - October 18, 2006 RIP

Dave Kellogg

April 5, 1948 - October 18, 2006

To All my friends it is with a heavy heart that I have to report that our friend Dave Kellogg pasted away today at 11:15.

His health Had been deteriorating over the last week and it appears that he had a stroke this morning according to hospice.

Oranator meet Dave’s brother (Steve) today and talked for a good long while we spoke of Dave and told a few stories that the other didn’t know about he is a really nice guy.

Dave’s wishes were to be cremated and while talking to Dave’s brother I asked if some of his ashes could be spread at the beach and he thought that would be a good idea, he also liked that we wanted to place a in memorial to Dave at the beach.

No memorial is planed at this time.

I will keep everyone informed about the dedication memorial that will be held at

DAVES BEACH AKA Little beach Carlsbad

For those who did not know DAVE he was a Factory Pilot for NCFM and a Pioneer in the RC Hobbie for many many years.
Louied is offline Find More Posts by Louied
Last edited by Louied; Oct 18, 2006 at 09:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2006, 09:38 PM
Gravity sucks
United States, WA, Richland
Joined Mar 2006
2,501 Posts
This is sad news for us all. Dave was a truly great guy, willing and eager to share his passion for sloping with any and all. He will be truly missed.

Mike
SrWade is offline Find More Posts by SrWade
Old Oct 18, 2006, 09:44 PM
Oceanside CA
Joined Dec 2004
4,046 Posts
Dave was a great guy, I could always go to him for advice.. Once, when I was a newbie I went to the beach, it was blowing REALLY hard (Maybe 30 mph +) and I had a whole bunch of reflex in the Raider I had gotten for Christmas. First launch turned in to a quick little knock-back straight in to his van Dave was cool enough to help me strap a little bit of lead on my plane, and get the trims to where he thought they should be. Success! I was able to fly around for maybe ten minutes, until I had accidentally flipped it inverted and ended up in the hotel parking lot across the street. Dave was always there to help, and had an incredible amount of patience when it came to new people wanting to learn how to fly. I'll try and get some airtime for him this weekend, and do a victory roll in his honor. I'll miss ya Dave!

Justin
Mr. Innocent is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Innocent
Old Oct 18, 2006, 09:45 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,281 Posts
Dave was Mr. hobie hawk, I first met Dave when I was 13, I had just got my first hawk and he wanted to check it out, flew with him at torrey and sorrento valley for many years, one of the good guy's

Pray for him and his family

B
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
Old Oct 18, 2006, 09:57 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
3,025 Posts
Sorry to hear about Dave, Louied. John Thayer had told me that he was critically ill, and to expect this news soon. Let us know when the memorial will be, with deepest thoughts and concern,
Godspeed and good lift Dave!
Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:50 AM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,868 Posts
Thats sad news. I really enjoyed talking with Dave at Carlsbad last Christmas. He was very friendly and talked up a storm. Talking and flying with Dave was one of the highlights of my CA slope safari.

He'll be missed.

Andrew
the_canuck is offline Find More Posts by the_canuck
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:56 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,922 Posts
That's really sad news!! I knew Dave from flying NCFM planes at Little Beach! Every time I stopped in down there he's say--"Hey--got anything to drive"?? And he'd let me fly his planes!! Fun/ great guy--he will be missed!!!! One of the truly nice people in soaring has gone to better slopes!!!
Via con Dios!
Timmig
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Oct 19, 2006, 01:28 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,615 Posts
Keep us posted Louie. Dave is an Icon and is already missed.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2006, 01:39 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,243 Posts
I never met Dave, but I can tell by the posts here that he was indeed a gentleman among men. Hope he's where the good winds are blowing.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Oct 19, 2006, 02:07 AM
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2004
3,509 Posts
He let me fly his Weasel once. He even said that my inverted passes were "As pretty as I have ever seen". He was truly a gentleman at the slope. If you ever saw me fly you would know how big that was of him to say.

Dave you will be missed.
Chief High Horse is offline Find More Posts by Chief High Horse
Old Oct 19, 2006, 02:28 AM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,276 Posts
Dave Kellogg was a good and dear friend, I had the pleasure of flying with him for about 6 years and he and I were very close for about 2 then I started getting into electrics and didn't see each other as much.

I could always count on Dave to give me a good wind report for the upcoming days and how the wind was blowing from the day before.

I had a party at my house about a month ago to make sure locals here could see Dave and he could visit with them, it was a great success.
At this party the general consensus was that we the locals would from now on refer to "little Beach" "Carlsbad" as DAVE'S BEACH and we talked about putting in the cement just inside the fence where Dave always parked a small plaque to honor Dave.

I went to see Dave one last time today before hospice came for him and when I came home I wrote the above e-mail to his friends and thought what I would suggest to write on the small bronze memorial.

In loving memory to our dear friend
Dave Kellogg
5 April 1948 - 18 October 2006
Who will forever soar in our hearts

I miss my friend,
Oran Bloodsworth
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2006, 04:31 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
This is very sad. I didn't know dave very well, but I flew with him enough to know that he was one of the nicest and most helpful people I have met in this hobby.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:48 AM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Joined Mar 2004
1,177 Posts
DAVE'S BEACH --- Memorial Day Weekend 2005

Visited your slope for the first time while my wife and I were on our way down to La Jolla a day or so after the 2005 Cajon PSS Festival.

So sorry for your loss, guys.

John
John Rood is offline Find More Posts by John Rood
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:28 AM
Der Haifisch!! R.I.P.
Fallbrook, California, United States
Joined Jul 2003
2,226 Posts
I met Dave when I first started flying, and he was always giving out good advice... A genuine nice guy, who loved flying... and loved being around other fliers... My condolences to his friends and family...

BD
BeeDee is offline Find More Posts by BeeDee
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:42 AM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
6,051 Posts
Dave was the quintessential slope buddy.
He greeted you with a broad smile and was always ready to help.
And he had a knack for helping those who didn't realize they needed help!
Nobody was better at maidening your contraption or trimming it.
A constant source of inspiration and support, he was the best sounding board for your crazy ideas.
Never heard him speak ill of anyone and never saw him lose his smile.
Learned everything I know about flying slopers from him.
Spent the last 4 years flying with him almost everyday, but could never figure out what he meant by “Just give it a touch of down in the turn…….”
Oh well ……I guess I have to wait for that one.

I miss my friend.

Matin
MATIN is offline Find More Posts by MATIN