HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2006, 04:38 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Discussion
Coastal Romance...

Took my newly found love-of-my-life to the romantic setting of Spurn Head last week... of course the camera plane went along too...

Spurn head can be found at the mouth of the Humber Estuary on the East coast of England. It's the result of long-shore drift of the sandy beaches all along the North East coast of England. High tides and stormy weather destroy the long sand bar every so often, it's a constant struggle to keep a road open down to the lifeboat and pilot station on the very tip of Spurn.

I had to drive a round trip of around 80 miles to get to there, as the crow flies, it's only about 6 miles from where I was staying...
Phil R is offline Find More Posts by Phil R
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2006, 04:56 PM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,248 Posts
Excellent subject well photographed. Any details about the place,history etc ? Did you make friends with the lifeboat crew just in case....?
arrow5 is offline Find More Posts by arrow5
Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:26 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,365 Posts
Boy! That's a cool place! How do you get there? By boat? Or can you drive there? I can't see way around there is it a complete island?
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:39 PM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Lansing, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
1,240 Posts
Quote:
drive a round trip of around 80 miles to get to there
And we appreciate it! Beautiful place, thanks Phil.

Gary D.
FoamingInMI is offline Find More Posts by FoamingInMI
Old Oct 19, 2006, 04:36 AM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow5
Excellent subject well photographed. Any details about the place,history etc ? Did you make friends with the lifeboat crew just in case....?
There's history everywhere... the place is littered with WW2 bunkers and pill boxes... there are the remains of the net that stopped submarines from entering the river just off shore. I'm not really into history myself... I just like a good beach and the sea. The beach is wild and un-tended - it's not a touristy place... History can even be seen in the sand... lines of black sand - coal washed down from the north east coast, traditionally an industrial coast, reliant on coal for most of the last century.

My father is good friends with the lifeboat crew... he sails his boat across the river every so often... he's getting on a bit now and will need their help one day...
Old Oct 19, 2006, 04:37 AM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird
Boy! That's a cool place! How do you get there? By boat? Or can you drive there? I can't see way around there is it a complete island?
No, not a complete island... a very, very long sand bar with a tiny temporary road running down it.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 04:53 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,903 Posts
Nice pics.

Looks quite high, was it a dot in the sky ?

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:09 AM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Adam
Nice pics.

Looks quite high, was it a dot in the sky ?

Adam
No, I wasn't dotted out properly... I had the sun in my eyes for most of the flight and there was an offshore wind of about 10mph. I really needed my bigger plane with me...
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:22 AM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Been working on stitching a few images together... now you can see the extent of the sand spit, and, in the far distance where it meets the mainland.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:22 AM
Joined Jul 2006
51 Posts
You should print a poster of these shots and send it with your story to the guys at the station. I bet they would love it.
OneWay is offline Find More Posts by OneWay
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:33 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,903 Posts
That shot makes me want to look on the map to see where the nearest sea is. Herefordshire is spectacular from the air, but we aren't exactly spoilt for coast around here

I'm off to the Gower in a few weeks, I'll take my AP kit but weather in Wales can be hard to predict in Autumn.

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Oct 19, 2006, 01:20 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
899 Posts
Nice photos Phil. I was born and bred near Lincoln and I remember it being a long way to Spurn Point (and Brid) via Goole before the bridge was built. It has not changed much from when I was last there about 25 years ago. It always was a desolate place (plenty of space on the beach though).

Your first photo appears to show the lifeboat leaving its moorings although it does not appear to be going that fast. It is worth noting that the Spurn Point Lifeboat Station is the only one in the UK that has a full time (paid) crew. All of the rest rely on volunteers.

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Oct 19, 2006, 02:08 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
Oh god! That brings back horrible memories of Geography GCSE!

Fantastic photos nevertheless, and great work (as ever) on the stitching ... you're a master

I agree with Adam, looks like you must've had some good height there ....

Thanks for sharing

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:04 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster
Oh god! That brings back horrible memories of Geography GCSE!

Fantastic photos nevertheless, and great work (as ever) on the stitching ... you're a master
I used to teach Geography... (along with other things) Physical geography and geology were my favourite subjects at school...

Stitching - 4 images, 15 layers in Photoshop, file size 135Mb...
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:11 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Great pics. Of course you did offer the locals the pics at a reasonable price either as file for commercial use, or as printed postcards for them to sell to tourists without RC AP capabilities?
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.