HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:26 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,466 Posts
Build Log
DARE B-17 Build Log...another one

So upon browsing through a bunch of the various threads here, I all of a sudden realized that a hobby shop back in the Portland area probably had this kit still in stock. The last time I had been to the shop, nearly 3 years ago, it was still there after another 2-3 on the shelf...so I made the owner and offer on the kit, and a week later, it was on my doorstep.

As someone in a thread here, and at my club meeting said "Thats one big box of lumber" Its funny, a couple years back here I made mention that I"d never want to tackle building this kit and would rather make one out of foam, man how I have wisened up over the years.

Anyways, being of more "old school" building techniques before the day of the "shake up the box and pull out a plane" kits, this required some prep work and some good old fashioned experience.

The first photos are of the kit overview, labeling all the parts, and the third pic is separating all the parts into their various sub components.

*edit* Power will come from four GWS EPS 400s in some sort of gearbox swinging a smallish large scale sport prop fan direct drive.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is online now Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Paul Susbauer; Oct 18, 2006 at 12:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:45 AM
HobbyKing
Joined Apr 2001
4,466 Posts
I just couldn't resist so I started with the wing. Since there are no build tabs for this symetrical wing, I decided to make a rudimentary wing jig out of 1/8" music wire supported in several spots. So I drew out two evenly space lines on the plans, marked the ribs and drilled them. Oh, before I forget, I drew the centerline of each rib which made locating everything easy.

Upon building, all I did was slide the ribs in place, then measure the distance from the centerline to the building board. As long as all the measurements on the front or the back were the same, then everything was building up straight.

Building board. 2" foam spacers that I hot glued to the board. Spacing out the ribs. I premarked the main wingspars flat on the plans which helped greatly for spacing. On the wing sheeting I shaved off the extra thickness on the ribs so I could run continuous strips, instead of having to inlay all the pieces as per the plans....much quicker, less glue, and is lighter. I had to make sure and trim all the ribs before I built the wing though.

The wing tips will wait for the day when I laminate all the various bows (wing, tail, etc..)

--Paul
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Paul Susbauer; Oct 18, 2006 at 01:00 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:52 AM
HobbyKing
Joined Apr 2001
4,466 Posts
Next came the horizontal tail. Now for this, I built it vertically as I think it came out straighter that if I tried to build it flat on the board. The elevators went very quickly, probably 8-10 minutes a apiece.

Tonight I built the stabilizer. Same method. It was very easy to check for warps on this and it came out great. I inlayed the sheeting before I took it off the board.

--Paul
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:53 AM
HobbyKing
Joined Apr 2001
4,466 Posts
Nacelles....so far...
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 18, 2006, 09:11 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Paull, Lookin' Good!!! Glad to see an "Old School" modeler in action. Foam is a great building medium, but it's sure hard to beat some good old back to basics modeling!!!

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:17 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Paul ,
Looks great . I'd like one of these but just a little to big for the field I fly at . Someday I may attempt the Guillows B17 . Keep the pics coming
-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:27 PM
United States, MN, Hubbard
Joined Jan 2004
242 Posts
Good start Paul, I've been flying mine for a couple years now. Enjoy the build and congrats on choosing a great design.
immelman50 is offline Find More Posts by immelman50
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:53 AM
HobbyKing
Joined Apr 2001
4,466 Posts
I thought I would post some more progress. What started with a possible casual night of work to the one wing panel, turned into building the forward fuselage sides, and part of the vertical fin/rudder. On the wings I just did the last of the stringers on the underside of the wings, with some more of the sheeting, nothing terribly exciting.

I went back to good ol' Titebond for the fuselage sides. I tell you, with a nice tight joint, that glue dries very quickly. I ended up stacking the two sides so I could build the 2nd one exactly the same, and so I didn't have to remove the first one so quickly, allowing it to properly dry.

The vertical fin/rudder involved stripping some balsa to the appropriate width, soaking for 5-10 minutes, and then carefully bending it to shape holding it there with a lot of pins. Right now it is just being formed, I have not glued the two laminations together yet.

The rest of the vertical tail is being built vertically on the table as I did with the other portions of the tail.

I must say, this is actually a very quick build. I didn't even get started building until at least 7:30, and here it is 10:45. Tomorrow night I plan to build the aft fuselage sides, and finish the vertical fin/rudder.

--Paul
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:11 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
What is the span on this thing, once it's finished?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:14 PM
HobbyKing
Joined Apr 2001
4,466 Posts
A hair over 75"

Tonight I built the aft fuselage sides, they're actually still drying on the board right now. We had a little lightning show tonight so I slowed down for a little bit to watch.

I also got the vertical fin/rudder built. They need some minor reinforcing down by the dorsal strake, but other than that its basically done.

I won't be working on it tomorrow night, but hopefully this weekend I can get a bunch done, I'd like to get the rest of the fuselage all framed up and perhaps started on the other wing half.

Being that its only 9:00pm, I'm going to go work on the nacelles, specifically framing up the other two, and then I can put the bulkheads on that will fill in their shape.

--Paul
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 20, 2006, 01:30 AM
TRP
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
Looking great so far Paul. I missed picking up one of these kits from a local hobby shop by a day or so. They had one on sale. I saw it one day and said that I'd think about it. When I went back to pick it up - some other lucky person had already snagged it. I was bummed.

I went ahead and picked up the EAM kit to pacify my need for a B-17. One of these days I'll get to it.

Ted
TRP is offline Find More Posts by TRP
Last edited by TRP; Oct 20, 2006 at 10:24 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 09:45 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
I want a B-17..

Although, I think I'd rather have a B-24..

Did the shop you got this from have any left?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:23 AM
Andover, New Jersey
Joined Sep 2004
136 Posts
Nice to see another one of these being built! I also have the dare kit and have been "working on it" for almost a year . I had it framed up quickly but then got bogged down in the covering and finishing stage (trying to decide how much detail to put into it) It has been on the back-burner for the past 9 months but i've recently got the urge to finish it up and this thread will hopefully help motivate me!

Since i'm using Lipos i decided i could handle the extra weight of chrome ultrakote for the alum look.. that meant sheeting the fuse which took a looong time. i'll post some pics next time i have her put 'together'.

-Tom
evdo is offline Find More Posts by evdo
Old Oct 21, 2006, 01:10 AM
HobbyKing
Joined Apr 2001
4,466 Posts
After an early evening out and about I sequestered myself in for the rest of the evening. I took the fuselage sides off the boards and with lots of pins, squares (CD cases) and some weights, got it framed into something resembling a fuselage.

With not much to do this weekend, I'm hoping to get the rest of the plane all frame up....not bad for a weeks worth of work.

--Paul
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 21, 2006, 01:55 AM
Surrey BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
876 Posts
Paul Very nice

I hope to see this next may at chilliwack.

Colin
Gonzo007 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo007