HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2006, 05:07 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Question
New to SPAD need some help with Coroplast.

I'm new to this forum and to building with CP. Theres a company in my town that can get me some 4mm coroplast. Is this a good size to build with? The only other size they can get is 10mm. Also what price range should I look at for a 4'X8' sheet in white. They are gonna charge me around $18 for a sheet. Is this a good deal or can I get it cheaper?
Thanks Harry
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:58 PM
London, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,491 Posts
I usually pay about $15cdn a sheet and $18 for colors, you can always check out a local sign shop, they should have some.
Wayne V is offline Find More Posts by Wayne V
Old Oct 27, 2006, 04:32 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Well I picked up the sheet of coroplast today. I have expieremented with this stuff a little and came out ok. One problem I encountered was cutting the plastic at an angle to the flutes. Is there a trick to this or should I just cut it like any other direction?
Not sure what I want to build first but its gotta be electric. Any ideas?
Harry
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:25 AM
Hack of all trades...
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
371 Posts
Water boy:
Cutting diagonally across coro is always a bit of a challenge for me. The trick is to have very firm pressure on your straight edge, if using one, and cut on a mat or something that isn't a completely hard surface. I also try to do follow a path where if the blade slips it will go outside, not inside of the pattern I'm trying to cut.

Good luck.

SS
Smooth Spanky is offline Find More Posts by Smooth Spanky
Old Oct 28, 2006, 05:05 PM
Houston TX. (Friendswood actually)
Joined Jul 2004
301 Posts
When cutting at an angle to the flutes you need to make sure the flutes are pulling the blade into the straight edge and not away from it. I've also found that the cutting mats for sewing, from Wal-Mart etc., are a great backing for cutting on.

Steve-S
Steve-S63 is offline Find More Posts by Steve-S63
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:29 AM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
First Wing..

Here is my first attempt at a Coro wing. W.S. is 30", Chord is 5.75" w/o ailerons. Used a 3/8 dowl for the spar. Coro is 4mm (all I have).
The airfoil is pretty thin so it should be fairly fast? Think on this build I will keep it simple and do an ugly stickish type fuse. Not sure if the ailerons are to long or not, they are 1 3/4" thick, if anything should be a little more responsive. Any comments feel free to post.
Harry
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:53 PM
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Aug 2004
1,178 Posts
I think a wing that small needs 2mm coro. I used to buy mine from harborsales.co(i think). Don't be surprised if you end up with a brick.
StrangeGager is offline Find More Posts by StrangeGager
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:56 PM
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Aug 2004
1,178 Posts
go here:
http://www.harborsales.net/fullsheet...ts#productview
StrangeGager is offline Find More Posts by StrangeGager
Old Oct 30, 2006, 04:12 PM
Vernon, Connecticut
Joined Oct 2003
58 Posts
Have Harbor Sales cut the 4' by 8' sheet to 2' by 4' pieces with the flutes running in the 2' direction. If you ask for a full sheet, the shipping will drain your bank account. The 4X8 ships for $98.00. If you have them cut it, you'll pay $2+ for cutting and the shipping will be about $4.50 (depending on your zip code). That has been my experience with shipping to the North East. They have 2, 4 and 10MM in many colors.
John Palica is offline Find More Posts by John Palica