HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2006, 02:39 PM
Need an unbreakable plane
Canal Winchester, OH
Joined Oct 2006
60 Posts
Question
Clancy Ascender EPP Flying Wing RTF????

I just ordered one of these wings from hobby people and I was wondering if anyone can tell me some information about these planes. I have checked the prices everywhere and they are very conflicting. Amazon has the wing on sale for 149.00 USD and some places have it for 180.00 USD but hobby people have it for 99.00 USD. I cannot find a video of it on the internet anywhere. I have also called Global Hobbies which is a main distributor of the wing and they don't even know the range of the receiver or speed. If anyone out there has any information I would GREATLY Appreciate it. Like I said I have already ordered it and I am hoping for the best.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/222245.asp
InvisibleX is offline Find More Posts by InvisibleX
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:08 PM
Canal Winchester, OH
Joined Oct 2006
60 Posts
ok...looks like no one here knows about this wing either..lol... Can someone look at the pics of the plane and the review on this website and tell me what they think about the wing? I would really appreciate any comments. Any guesses on speed with the motor and battery combination and any guess on the range of the transmitter and receiver. This is my first 4 channel RC and I am kinda nervous so any input would be VERY VERY Appreciated.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/review1/222245.htm
Last edited by InvisibleX; Oct 17, 2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 08:38 PM
Rocky Hill, Ct
Joined Aug 2006
28 Posts
Clancy Ascender

I bought a Clancy Ascender a couple of months ago, had a problem with the reciever. Called Global and ended up buying a couple of perfectly good planes and radios ... really cheap instead of just swapping the bad reciever.
Anyway, I'm an awful newby, that can't fly my way out of anything.

I found that the battery holder/skidplate fell off due to the way it is glued on, and my lack of skill at landing. I just left it off and used a plastic zip cord thing to go through the body and hold the battery with elastic bands. This also takes the place of the cheesy plastic clip on the top that holds the cover over the electronics. I also removed the back end of that plastic cover to lose more weight and cool the motor better.

You might want to determine the center of gravity before taking all that stuff off.
Dan
Dan Bortolan is offline Find More Posts by Dan Bortolan
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:18 AM
Canal Winchester, OH
Joined Oct 2006
60 Posts
So tell me a little more about the wing. What is the speed, Flight time, and Range between the transmitter and the receiver? I posted the same thread on RCUniverse and a guy said according to his calculations it would only go about 14.5 mph. I called a few local hobby shops and they say 45-50 mph. Can you give me a more accurate answer? The guy on RCUniverse also said that from the pics it looks like a cirrus radio which is made by Futaba and it should be around 1000' range is that about right? Is it relatively easy to fly? ... Any info you have man... your like the only person in the world that has said that they have one..lol.. Also if you have a video of it I would love to see it.
Thank you for your time.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 03:55 PM
Joined Mar 2006
72 Posts
I bought one a while ago and covered it with clear tape to make it stronger for crash purposes, its a little heavier but it flys great and can take a pretty good beating. I have the motor and cover taped on insted of the rubber bands and have a strip of velcrow holding the battery in. Its fast, does barrel rolls and flys upside down,range is about 1/4 mile and it flys for about ten minutes . Compared to other RTFs I think its a great deal for 99.00 and alot of performance for the money.
Fly Guru is offline Find More Posts by Fly Guru
Old Oct 18, 2006, 05:51 PM
Canal Winchester, OH
Joined Oct 2006
60 Posts
Thank you very much for your input guys.... it is very appreciated and my wing shoud be here in the next day or so. With the information you have given me I am very excited now. Thanks again oh... also I called a local hobbie shop and they said to make longer flight time use a 6 cell 900mah 7.2V NMIH Battery... maybe get 15-20min flight time. Do you think he is right?
Last edited by InvisibleX; Oct 18, 2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:22 PM
Napa County - Bay Area
Joined Sep 2003
178 Posts
I have one and it flies great, but I wouldn't recommend it for beginners who have never flown. The radio worked fine, but because the park near me is surrounded by houses I replaced the radio with a standard 72mhz hitec Focus 3-channel. I'll still use the original radio someday for a boat or car.

There is a review of it in the Ezone or search for it on the forums. Because the plane is smaller than most wings, it sometimes gets hard to see it while it is darting about but you just have stay focused. Very aerobatic, and fun to have a landing gear.
KA6IPK is offline Find More Posts by KA6IPK
Old Oct 19, 2006, 04:08 PM
Canal Winchester, OH
Joined Oct 2006
60 Posts
My ascender finally came today and on the maiden flight it was very VERY good. Great response, gliding, and speed. The only problem is the flight time SUCKS... maybe 5 minutes if your lucky. Other than that it is a very good wing for the money. Even though this is my first wing I would give it a 8 out of 10 for 10 being the best. The only thing that really bites about it is the flight time.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:19 PM
KILLER OF GIANTS !!!
Kona
Joined Nov 2003
1,139 Posts
Did you cycle the battery a few times before the maiden? If not then that is why your flight time is so short. NiMH will have much longer/stronger run times after a few charge/discharge cycles.
Lono
Flyin Hawaiian is offline Find More Posts by Flyin Hawaiian
Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:24 PM
Canal Winchester, OH
Joined Oct 2006
60 Posts
No I didn't cycle through before maiden..... I will try that .. Thank you for your suggestion.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:07 PM
Canal Winchester, OH
Joined Oct 2006
60 Posts
After cycling the batteries a few times they are better but one battery I cannot even get 3 minutes out of and I think it is just a bad battery so I am going to call global hobbies and get a new one. I will be posting a video of the ascender soon maybe as soon as Monday. This thing flies great and I just want everyone to see how well it does for 99.00 USD. I haven't found a video of it yet so I will be the first that I know of to post one. Even though I am a beginner I think I am doing very well, but you guys can critique me if you want.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 08:28 AM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleX
After cycling the batteries a few times they are better but one battery I cannot even get 3 minutes out of and I think it is just a bad battery so I am going to call global hobbies and get a new one. I will be posting a video of the ascender soon maybe as soon as Monday. This thing flies great and I just want everyone to see how well it does for 99.00 USD. I haven't found a video of it yet so I will be the first that I know of to post one. Even though I am a beginner I think I am doing very well, but you guys can critique me if you want.
---------

I have a new Ascender in the box, unopened. All of this talk is making me interested in getting it out, assembling, charging up and then terrorize the neighborhood. Thanks.
Artisan is offline Find More Posts by Artisan
Old Oct 22, 2006, 02:12 PM
Canal Winchester, OH
Joined Oct 2006
60 Posts
Well I wouldn't suggest terrorizing the neighborhood seeing as it goes every bit of 40-50mph. But I would definetly get it out and fly it. Even though I say dont do it I cannot say that I havent but I was so scared I was shaking!
My neighbor crashed his stryker and I thought I was going to do the same but I came out ok but like I said I was scared to death. I don't suggest it but it is up to you. We live in a housing development and we live on a U shaped street and that is where we decided to fly as a stupid Idea at the half time of the Ohio State VS Indiana Slaughter.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 04:57 PM
Is that me?
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
898 Posts
I still use the cirrus tx,rx system for my planes,(not the wing it died)even bouhgt three more rx more more planes in my fleet.Cirrus works well,at least 1000' range,probably the best 27 mhz cheap tx you can get.The motor is a 380,which is basically a 400,
Bob
Bobnormal is offline Find More Posts by Bobnormal
Old Nov 06, 2006, 01:15 PM
Canal Winchester, OH
Joined Oct 2006
60 Posts
Ok, I found a new flaw for the ascender, the propeller is specific to this wing which really sucks since none of the hobby shops carry this wing. So I have to order them from hobby people. Also... DO NOT PAINT THIS WING!!!!!! This was a very bad idea of mine and my neighbors. This thing is tough to get into the air and once you get it up there it is not even close to as fast as when it was original. I know you shouldn't paint foam planes but.... we gave it a try and it SUCKS..... I ordered a new body when I ordered my new propellers and it should be here soon. The propellers were on backorder which will slow down shipment time but hopefully not too long I called them and they said that on the tenth of this month they should have some in. After I get the wing back to its original state I will post a video on youtube or somewhere so you guys can check it out.