HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Ikarus Aerofly Pro Deluxe Flight Simulator

Jeremy Zorns takes an in-depth look at the newest flight simulator software by Ikarus, and uses it to teach himself heli flight.

Splash

Introduction

Box Front
Box Front
Minimum System Requirement:
Microprocessor Class:100% Pentium III or AMD Athlon/64
RAM Memory Needed:128 MB
Hard Drive Space Needed:1 GB
Hardware Needed:CD-ROM drive
Graphics Hardware:OpenGL compatible graphics card with at least 64 MB
Sound Hardware:100% DirectX compatible sound card
Operating System:Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP w/DirectX v. 9.0b or higher
Control & Input Jack:A free USB port and a trainer output on your transmitter or the included USB Tx/controller. (an optional interface adapter may be required depending on the brand of transmitter used)
NoteOn a computer with the minimum system requirements, the performance strongly depends on the model and scenery loaded. (i.e. stay away from the photo realistic sceneries and large, highly detailed airships.)
------
Recommended System Requirements:
Microprocessor Class100% Pentium IV or AMD 64 compatible processor with at least 1600 MHz
RAM Memory Needed256 MB
Graphics HardwareOpenGL compatible graphics card with at least 128 MB
Note: For more information, especially on graphics cards, please visit aerofly.com
Available From:Hobby-Lobby
For more information:AeroFly Homepage
Price at the time of this writing:$200 (with Tx/controller) or $180 (with USB adapter/trainer plug)

There are many reasons, both for and against, to purchase a simulator. Here, we will consider the ever-reliable Aerofly Professional Deluxe simulator, by Ikarus.

Box Contents

Flight Simulator Pros vs. Cons

Pros

• Crashing is FREE (!!!)
  • Lessons are learned quickly, as there is no repair downtime, and one can easily remember what one did wrong.
  • One can fly models that one cannot afford, and make an educated decision as to whether it will be worth the money.
  • 40 mph wind? 3 ft. of snow? 5F outside? Dark outside? None of that matters to a sim, my friends. You will be inside, polishing your skills.
  • A sim doubles as a video game in the "cockpit" or "fly behind" modes.
  • In some parts of the world, the winter is loooong. This is a good way to keep your skills up for springtime!

Cons

• You'll need a PC that meets the minimum system requirements first.
  • You'll also need a proper graphics card; most base-level PCs don't have good enough graphics cards on their motherboards.
  • On the less-expensive aircraft, the cost of the sim could also buy a lot of repair parts
  • No peripheral vision without major loss of resolution (i.e. you'd have to zoom way back to get peripheral vision)

What's New, Compared to AeroFly Deluxe?

12 New Models

• Augusta 109
  • Aztec
  • DC-3
  • Diamond DA-40
  • Diamond DA-42 (a dual motor version of the DA-40)
  • Super Constellation
  • Viper 90 3D helicopter
  • Zero
  • Monsoon
  • Monsoon 4D (vario prop model!)
  • Slow Ride
  • Slow Ride 4D

4 New Photo Sceneries

• Omahawks
  • TheField
  • PageField
  • Neuenbuerg gym

2 New 3D Sceneries

• MountLake
  • Eggeland

Getting Started

Equipment Used for this Review

Item Description
Computer HP Pavilion a1310n
Processor AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Processor Speed 2.19 GHz
RAM 1.00 GB
Graphics Card EVGA e-GeForce 6500
RAM 256 MB

Computer

The computer, I had on hand; it replaced my ailing 7 year-old "Franken-puter" last year.

How to check if your PC is up to the task
  • Click the 'Start' button
  • Right-click 'My Computer'
  • Select 'Properties' from the pull-down

• Graphics Card

The graphics card, I bought for this review. I found it at Circuit City for $80, less a $20 mail-in rebate. This card is about one tier up from the bottom of the line, yet it is perfect for the job. (It was only $10 more than the bargain basement model) AeroFly Professional Deluxe (AFPD) is not as demanding as the newer video games that are hitting the market for the PC these days, and I was happy to be able to get by with cheaper equipment.

Installation of the Graphics Card

The instructions included with the graphics card did a very good job of explaining how to do this. Anyone who can operate a screwdriver and follow instructions will be all right. Here's a short version of how to do it:

• With your PC off, unplug it
  • Remove the side cover, to gain access to the expansion slots
  • Remove the rear cover that covers the hole for the slot you will be using
  • Unplug your monitor from the on-board graphics card that is embedded in your motherboard
  • Plug the graphics card into the appropriate jack, making sure it lines up with the hole in the back of the PC case
  • Plug the monitor into the graphics card
  • Button everything back up
  • Turn on your PC and follow the on screen directions, as well as the directions from the graphics card.

I didn't run into a single hitch during the installation.

Installation of AeroFly Professional Deluxe

Again, if you can follow instructions, you will have no problem with this. Just put the AFPD disc into your CD or DVD ROM drive and follow the on-screen directions. Answer 'I Agree' and 'Next' where applicable. Then, install the included expansion pack in the same manner. Finally, go to AeroFly's Downloads page and download and install the latest patch to ensure you've got the latest & greatest version of the software:

Once AFPD is installed, one can check on how well it is running by pressing the F9 key during simulation. This will bring up a small flight info that shows the number of frames per second (FPS) being displayed. For realistic simulation, this should always be above 33 fps. If AFPD is running slowly on your computer, there is an excellent chapter in the manual called Performance Tips that describes every opportunity to speed it up. Ikarus recommends a video card by either NVIDIA (such as the GeForce series) or ATI, because they have tested those cards specifically. Other cards compatible with OpenGL and with 128 MB of on-board memory will probably work fine though.

Completion

The last thing to do is to either plug in the USB transmitter/controller that came with the package, or set up your transmitter with the USB buddy cord as the controller on your computer. I reviewed the version that included the USB transmitter/controller. As of November 2006, it costs $200 while the version with the adapter cords for your transmitter costs $20 less. Price on the new package is the same no matter where you buy from.

It was about midnight when I got everything installed and ready to go. (I had a late start, the whole bit only took a couple hours) Already, I was excited to try out the sim, and I had a little laugh to myself as I looked out the window and saw the trees being whipped every which way by the 35F 25 mph winds. It was nasty enough outside to take a little bit of the joy out of RC flying. Let's try some virtual flying at a nice, sunny field. Something aerobatic & expensive, if you please. ^_^

Instruction Manual

The instruction manual is an important part of any software or device that has a lot of features. The instruction manual supplied with the software Cd's is very good. It is a book about half the size of the typical 8 x 11" piece of paper in the USA. It is in three languages; German, French, and English, and has a quality, glued-binding. (as opposed to the cheapo stapled "bindings")

I suspect that many hundreds of AFPD users out there are only getting about 70% of what AFPD has to offer because they didn't bother to read the manual. It's a shame really, but I can see how it would happen. A computer-literate user installs the software, and wants to get cracking. He or she messes around in the menus until he/she has figured out all the basics, and never looks back. If I model doesn't fly like he/she thinks it should, he/she downloads or buys another model.

Examples of features that many users will not figure out without reading the manual are:

• Changing wind direction, speed, and thermals
  • Changing the parameters of the aircraft. (see the video below for an example of this)
  • Setup of complex control features or complex transmitters
  • Positioning of the model at different points in each scenery
  • Setting field of vision
  • Setup of two player mode
  • How to get into Contest Mode (this only works on a certain field)
  • How to access the wind & variometer, for thermal duration soaring
  • How to use the recording modes
  • How to use the glider tow feature
  • How to teach yourself to fly with AFPD

It would be a shame to miss out on all this.

Flying in AeroFly Professional Deluxe

Before we get too far into the flying aspect, let me give you a brief history of how I learned to fly. I bought a T-Hawk, which is a ready-to-fly, pusher plane, and very tough. I read the instruction book, read in the Beginners forum here, and went to the field on a pretty calm day. I had 4 very short flights, and drilled that poor bird into the ground a few times, breaking some parts. Then, I came home and heeded everyone's advice, and downloaded FMS. I then practiced on FMS for several hours each night for about a week with a dual analog controller. Although FMS is sometimes criticized for not being ultra-realistic, it served its purpose. I learned the orientation, and I learned not to over-control.

The next time I went out with the T-Hawk I had several flights that were over 30 seconds, and even had a few intentional landings! At that point, I thought I was done with sims. I worked on flying the T-Hawk until I finally reached the point where I could fly three straight battery packs without crashing. Boy, was that ever a triumph!

If I were smart, I would have tried things on a simulator before I tried them on my models. But I'm not smart, I'm impatient. So I wrecked a couple more planes. My GWS Corsair taught me how to fly inverted, and how close to the ground I could get away with doing loops & rolls. (can you say "Figure 9"?) Unfortunately, it only lasted about a month as a direct result.

Fast forward about 8 months. My fleet has grown to about 10 planes, including a sailplane, a trainer to replace the T-Hawk, a couple of pattern aerobatic planes, an aileron trainer, a couple of pusher jets, a flying wing, etc. I can fly all basic aerobatics and some basic 3D aerobatics. (Basic 3D cost me another two planes; I'm a slow learner sometimes)

Now I'm just learning to fly helis. There is a lot of crashing involved in flying helis, and crashing means lots of parts orders or making frequent trips to the hobby shop. Heli crashes are rarely free, and they are all too frequent when one is learning. I have two learner helis now, a coaxial "Co-Co Lama", and a fixed-pitch Honeybee, both RTF. I have a T-Rex 450 XL CDE still in the box. I don't dare build & fly it just yet. I'd either chop up something valuable, (such as myself) or have some spectacular crashes. That's going to have to wait until I can competently fly a similar model in AeroFly Pro Deluxe.

Within the first week of heli ownership & learning, I had spent about $75 in parts for my $140 heli. Ouch. It was time to consider another learning route. A real model heli with an instructor and a trainer cord is probably the ideal way to go. But ideal situations are sometimes hard to come by. The next-most ideal is a simulator. Enter AFPD.

Enter AeroFly Professional Deluxe. (AFPD) After I got this installed on my computer and had my first crash, I smiled. This is free crashing, and if I want to, I can learn on the most expensive & dangerous 3D helicopter out there. As the manual says, every model in the simulator flies as if it has been properly trimmed & run in by a professional pilot. The weather is as nice or nasty as you program it to be. After the initial investment, I can concentrate on getting my reflexes tuned in without also worrying about my checkbook & my nerves. There are no surprise purchases after it is installed and working. (such as parts, wire harnesses, tools...)

Now, after a week of training on AFPD, I can hover my cheap FP heli tail in with very good precision. I can hover either side in as well, though not quite as precisely. Ditto with nose in; that takes a bit more room. Controlled forward flight is still hard. The hardest part for me is stopping without making all sorts of huge corrections and eating up all kinds of space.

How Does it Compare to Reality, plane-wise?

Short Version - Very realistic, except landing is a bit too touchy on some models.

Long Version - I really couldn't find anything to fault except that the models with landing gear tended to bounce a little too much when landing. Also, many of the trainer-type models seemed a little low on power compared to what I expected. For example, the EasyStar model took quite a while to climb, longer even than my real one on stock power & a 7 cell NiMH pack. To be fair, we cannot blame Ikarus or AFPD for this, because it is an "aftermarket" model. I downloaded it from another site. The bright side is that if one practices flying one's model in AFPD, then goes to fly the same model for real, one would find that the real model has a bit more power on tap than one is used to.

The biggest fault of any sim, in my opinion, is that one has to choose between having peripheral vision (i.e. having the view "zoomed back") or seeing the aircraft with acceptable resolution. (i.e. having the view "zoomed-in") If one zooms back far enough to have peripheral vision, the model becomes a speck. If one zooms in on the model to see the detail of the model, peripheral vision is lost. This makes landings more challenging to line up than in reality. The bright side of that is that if one were to practice landings in AFPD, then go out with the real thing, one will have an easier time landing. It is kind of like studying the hardest material for a test so that when you go to take the test, the questions seem easy.

Let's run some numbers, shall we?

Sim setup

Item Cost
    AeroFly Professional Deluxe, w/Tx $200
    Graphics card $65
    Total $265

Now let's compare that to getting started in flying planes.

Item Cost
    Multiplex EasyStar RTF $190
    Spare battery packs (2) $50
    Spare airframe $60
    Total $300

Let's try it again with something with more potential:

Item Cost
    Multiplex AcroMaster airframe $100
    Brushless motor $80
    One LiPo $125
    6 ch. computer Tx, w/ Rx & two micro servos $220
    Two HS-81 servos $30
    ESC & BEC $100
    Miscellaneous bits $20
    Total $675

What's that, you want to try helis?

Item Cost
    T-Rex 450XL kit $175
    Entry level brushless motor $50
    LiPo $40
    6 ch. computer Tx, w/ Rx & four micro servos $200
    Good gyro $135
    ESC & BEC $70
    Miscellaneous bits $20
    Spares for the first month (lets not kid ourselves, eh ;) ) $75
    Total $765

Sim setup with new computer

Item Cost
    AeroFly Professional Deluxe, w/Tx $200
    Graphics card $65
    New computer $500
    Total $765
    Same price as a heli setup...

How Does it Compare to Reality: Helicopters

Short Version - Realistic, except landing is not quite touchy enough.

Long Version - All helis provided with the software were very good overall. The 3D helicopters were not quite as powerful & quick-reacting as the 3D helis I've seen in some videos here in RCGroups.

RC Helicopters are naturally harder than planes to keep orientation of when flying. The direction is not as predictable, and they typically don't have as much of a body, nor do they have wings to clue my brain in. Add to this the fact that no matter how good one's computer monitor is, it will not have the resolution of your eyesight once the model gets further than about 50' away.

Heli flight training: How did it work?

When I started flying my fixed-pitch Honeybee and Lama V3 helicopters, ("Co-Co Lama) I had a couple of minor crashes, starting out. I went onto this sim, and have been flying it for about a month now. (only a couple hours a week, at that) The major differences I have noticed is that my reflexes are correct about 70% more often. I'll still need to keep practicing to get the smoothness I'd like, and to nail the correct amount of correction every time, but there has been a marked improvement in my flying.

Peripheral Vision vs. Resolution Solution

AFPD has addressed this problem in a couple of ways:

1) There is a Second View Window that can be toggled by pressing the F10 key on your keyboard. This sub-window always shows the position of your bird.

2) There is an auto-zoom feature, which is activated by pressing the F6 key. (F5 is the standard, stationary view, that doesn't auto-zoom) F7 is "follow mode", and F8 is cockpit mode, with or without instruments shown. I love keyboard shortcuts!

Graphics

AFPD has the best photo-realistic backgrounds I've seen. Here are a couple of examples:

User Friendliness of the software

I give this aspect of AFPD a 10 out of 10. Everything is very simple to find. If I move the mouse, the menu bar automatically appears at the top of the screen. If I leave the mouse alone for a couple seconds, the menu bar and mouse cursor disappear.

But the thing that really completes this package for me is the keyboard shortcuts. Anyone that uses computers a lot will love this feature. Those who don't use computers a lot will either learn to love it, or just use the mouse and menus.

The most common commands for this software can be accessed by a single keystroke, without the need to use the mouse or go into any menus. For example, if I press the F1 key, this "cheat sheet" menu pops up:

It is hard to convey in words how handy this feature is. Watch the attached videos for some real-time examples. When you see something change without seeing a mouse cursor go to a menu, it was done through a keyboard shortcut.

For those with crummy memories or who simply don't like keyboard shortcuts, all the features can be accessed through the pull-down menus in the typical way.

Is This For a Beginner?

Without hesitation, I can answer "Yes!" I put this on about the same level as having an instructor. When I fly the real thing, I have to take certain things into consideration, such as wind and less-than-perfect aircraft setups. With AFPD I have so much more flexibility. In my opinion, the purchase of a sim and the reading of the sticky posts in the Beginners forum are the two most important things a beginner can do.

If you already have a computer that meets the recommended system requirements, this is a no-brainer. $200 for AFPD w/Tx and $65 for a proper graphics card seems like a lot of money, but there are no hidden costs. In this hobby, that is a huge statement. Want more planes or helicopters for your fleet? Just spend a few minutes and go download them. It doesn't matter how small your living quarters are, or how packed your storage area is.

Even if your computer isn't up to the task, the capability of running a quality simulator software may be that last little thing that pushes you to get one that is more modern & capable.

Other Questions

Q1) "How is it different/better than AeroFly Deluxe?"
    A1) Rather than re-invent the wheel, I'll refer you to this excellent webpage from the AeroFly site. It includes details about which models are new, which sceneries are new,

To make up for all of this, AeroFly Pro Deluxe has free, user-created aircraft and sceneries. RealFlights add-ons are all extra money. AFPD is starting to get into the add-on game as well. The "Pro" add-on was the first. Now the software is being sold with that standard. Next, came the StarFlight add-on.

Further Reading

Here are a couple of sim opinion threads in a heli-specific forum
    http://www.rchelispot.com/viewtopic.php?t=8526&highlight=aerofly http://www.rchelispot.com/viewtopic.php?t=5743&highlight=aerofly

Here's an RCGroups search results for 'aerofly' - good stuff
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/search.php?searchid=8048782

Here's a thread with links to free models & sceneries for AFPD
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456697

Here's an RCGroups thread in which I asked about AFPD vs. reality in the Mini Helis forum. Feel free to add if you have an opinion on the issue. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596375

If you have a link to a particularly good thread regarding AFPD or sims in general, please post it in the reply thread that goes along with this review; it will help everyone!

Video Gallery

(Please note that the software I used to capture these videos directly from my computer slowed down the simulation greatly. In some of the videos, you will see that the frame rate is hovering around 20 fps. When I was running it without that software, it was well above the 33 fps bottom end. For reference, one of the videos is at low resolution, to show the actual speed. I captured this with the software running in 'Window Mode', to go easy on the processor.

Downloads

Conclusion

In my opinion, if you have a computer that meets the recommended system requirements, AeroFly Professional Deluxe is a good investment. It can be used to train you to fly, to master new maneuvers that may otherwise crash a real model aircraf, or just keep your skills up when the weather is not cooperating with you.

Last edited by AMCross; Dec 19, 2006 at 12:11 PM..

Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2006, 05:24 PM
    "Have Glue - Will Travel"
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Joined Jan 2004
    2,428 Posts
    Jeremy,

Very nice review, very complete with some great screenshots. I told you you'd like AFP Deluxe

Ronnie
    dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
    Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:36 AM
    3 mi.south of mt Blanca,CO. 2 mi. out of the town of Blanca.
    Joined Mar 2006
    404 Posts
    Jeremy,I've been considering a sim for a while now and been flying RC for over 30 yrs.I would like to get better at 3D and pattern in general.Also,I to would like to learn Heli's,but don't want to spend a fortune in parts and the time wasted in getting them.I have only 1 question-------will the sims work for me since I fly "mode 1"(throttle on the right and elevator on the left)I assume that the Tx that comes with the sims is ("mode 2"),however,if I use my Tx,will it work.I've also thought about using the sim to learn all over again in mode 2,but would rather improve my skills in mode 1.
    Rich
    8kasl is offline Find More Posts by 8kasl
    Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:47 AM
    Joined Jan 2005
    554 Posts
    You assign a particular channel from your TX to particular function within in the sim. e.g channel 3 to throttle, channel 4 to roll etc. so it can cope with any mode setup.
    nemo_uk is offline Find More Posts by nemo_uk
    Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:03 AM
    3 mi.south of mt Blanca,CO. 2 mi. out of the town of Blanca.
    Joined Mar 2006
    404 Posts
    Nemo'I really appreciate your timely reply mate!!!As a first sim,would you suggest AFPD or FS1?Thanks again,Rich
    "Zooming around@8000'ASL in the Colorado Rockies"
    8kasl is offline Find More Posts by 8kasl
    Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:38 AM
    Your attitude is your alt
    Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
    Joined Aug 2001
    2,644 Posts
    I've been using AFPD for sometime now and I really enjoy it, I'm mainly a heli junkie and the helicopters are quite accurate in there flight characteristics. The graphics are also very good, it's a definite "must have" to keep your brain and fingers nimble when you can't do the real thing!

Gary Morris
    Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
    Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:48 AM
    Cracow, Poland
    Joined Nov 2003
    651 Posts
    Jeremy, the proper name of this beautifulf city is Nuremberg

EDIT: Oh man... I just found that Neuenbuerg really exist and it has gym too. Sorry, my mistake
    Szymon Bartus is offline Find More Posts by Szymon Bartus
    Last edited by Szymon Bartus; Dec 20, 2006 at 10:54 AM.
    Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:37 AM
    Hold my beer and watch this!
    Northern IL
    Joined Oct 2005
    2,380 Posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8kasl
    Jeremy,I've been considering a sim for a while now and been flying RC for over 30 yrs.I would like to get better at 3D and pattern in general.Also,I to would like to learn Heli's,but don't want to spend a fortune in parts and the time wasted in getting them.I have only 1 question-------will the sims work for me since I fly "mode 1"(throttle on the right and elevator on the left)I assume that the Tx that comes with the sims is ("mode 2"),however,if I use my Tx,will it work.I've also thought about using the sim to learn all over again in mode 2,but would rather improve my skills in mode 1.
    Rich
    Yes, nemo's right. The transmitter that comes with AFPD doesn't have a mode, per se. You set it up how you want it set up.

It is possible, though expensive to learn basic plane flight with real models by yourself. Learning 3D and helicopter flight would be VERY expensive without either an instructor or a sim.

Comparatively speaking, a sim is a lot easier to line up, as it is always on YOUR schedule. These days, it just isn't practical to learn to fly helis without a sim.

3D planes you could probably do with a lot of altitude, but you'd still hesitate to try new things where you wouldn't on a sim.

I've tried a few different sims, and I like AFPD the best. RealFlight has a lot of bells & whistles, it has better crashing sound effects, but the graphics aren't quite as good, IMO. Having to pay for more models in RF is the real downer, IMO.
    Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
    Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Joined Jan 2005
    554 Posts
    Quote:
    I've tried a few different sims, and I like AFPD the best. RealFlight has a lot of bells & whistles, it has better crashing sound effects, but the graphics aren't quite as good, IMO. Having to pay for more models in RF is the real downer, IMO.
    Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for taking the time to write the article about Aerofly. You might be a little bit out of date with regards RF. There are number (83 as of 20/12/06) of free user created models avaliable for RF from here
    (Ill admit a lot less than are available for AeroFly)

P.S. If you have not got the starflight add-on for aerofly yet I'd ask santa for it. It's very good.

regards,

Tony
    nemo_uk is offline Find More Posts by nemo_uk
    Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:15 PM
    Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
    Joined Nov 2001
    2,356 Posts
    My only problem with AFPD is that somewhere in the
    last 2 patches the scenery scrolling has gotten jerky.

You can see it in your video of the TOC_CAP232

The plane's movement is fine but the scenery jerks it's way across the horizon.

I am running on a high end machine with a gig of ram and a ATI X800 video card w/ 512 MB of video ram.

On most scenes and planes I get over 150 FPS but still the jerkyness of the background.

Ikarus what's up......?
    The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
    Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:18 PM
    Northern IL
    Joined Oct 2005
    2,380 Posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nemo_uk
    Thanks for taking the time to write the article about Aerofly. You might be a little bit out of date with regards RF. There are number (83 as of 20/12/06) of free user created models avaliable for RF from here
    (Ill admit a lot less than are available for AeroFly)
    Thanks for the update Tony, this is good news. It seems like they are filling in the gaps.

Quote:
    P.S. If you have not got the starflight add-on for aerofly yet I'd ask santa for it. It's very good.
    Thanks for the tip; I'll look into it.
    Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:51 PM
    That's not flying...
    Cedar Park, TX
    Joined Dec 2004
    139 Posts
    Good review, Jeremy but you forgot to mention one entire feature of the sim: sailplane modelling. AFPD is very good at simulating thermal sailplane flying! I've gotten very good at thermalling my real sailplane models after practicing in AFPD.

Set the thermal factor to 3-5 and have a go!

Clark
    FallingWithStyle is offline Find More Posts by FallingWithStyle
    Old Dec 29, 2006, 02:20 PM
    Vintage Flyer
    Indiana
    Joined Jan 2005
    1,674 Posts
    I downloaded a F4U Corsair from a website ( German) for my AFPD and it has folding wings, but after reading the instructions it is still diifficult to understand how to assign a channel or keypad to make them operate properly.
    When the sim starts up, and the F4U is selected, the wings fold up, and I can't make them fold back down.
    Anyone have an answer?
    Thanks.
    Ed
    Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
    Old Dec 29, 2006, 05:17 PM
    Northern IL
    Joined Oct 2005
    2,380 Posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ercoupe Ed
    I downloaded a F4U Corsair from a website ( German) for my AFPD and it has folding wings, but after reading the instructions it is still diifficult to understand how to assign a channel or keypad to make them operate properly.
    When the sim starts up, and the F4U is selected, the wings fold up, and I can't make them fold back down.
    Anyone have an answer?
    Thanks.
    Ed
    I ran into the same problem Ed. With the stock USB "transmitter", I couldn't get any of the switches to operate the wings.

My guess is that whoever programmed that model had a Multiplex 9 or 12 channel radio as their controller to fold the wings. I wasn't even able to assign a numpad key to work the wings of this bird.

I also had a heck of a time getting the canopies of the BD5 and Crazy Goose to work.
    Old Dec 29, 2006, 05:36 PM
    Vintage Flyer
    Indiana
    Joined Jan 2005
    1,674 Posts
    Hi Jeremy, I am using my JR 9303 with the uSB adapter cable from IPACS
    I also have a Futaba adapter cord also I can use since I have several Futaba Tx's I can use.
    Guess I'll just delete the F4U since it caused the whole setup to go south.
    After loading attempting to fly the Corsair, all my other airplanes simply set there and "chattered", wouldn't fly and did strange things.
    So I have removed AFPD using "add and remove programs" and will reload it, minus the Corsair.
    Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed