HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2001, 10:59 PM
Arlington ,Tx ,USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
Cooling battery pack before recharging?

Ok, ignorant, cheap skate me with only one battery for my FMA Razor, wants to know if I can cool my battery down after flying so I can charge it up again. I hear you should let them cool first. Is rapid cooling not recommended? Thanks!
Duane is offline Find More Posts by Duane
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2001, 03:29 AM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
Many people use cooling devices for charging/rapid cycle recharging (as in right after a flight) of their packs. Charging a pack in itself cools the battery (nicd's) as the charging process is endothermic until the very end when the cells are charged and begin to generate heat. That's why charged packs are hot.

I've seen several options used. One is a "wind tunnel" type coolers, where a pack is placed in a tube that has a fan at one end to blow air over it. Another and more exotic was a guy using a cooler with cold/ice water in it and plastic ziploc type bags. He would seal the battery in a bag (since it is not a complete seal he wouldn't let the top of the bag go below the water line) and let it sit in the ice cold water while charging/recharging. Other schemes are out there, just wait and see what some others post here. Experimentation is part of this hobby...

However, I would also point out that another battery pack would probably make you happy (one charges while the other flies). Also, make sure you have a good peak detection charger that you trust and will adequately and "quickly" charge your packs in the field.

Don't forget to "equalize" your packs with a slow/trickle charge every once and an while.

Also, as for your question, rapid cooling in REASON is not a problem (like with the water cooler option). Now I would probably not recommend dipping your pack in a vat of liquid nitrogen right after a flight to "rapidly cool it down".

Cash

[This message has been edited by Cash Traylor (edited 07-03-2001).]
Cash Traylor is offline Find More Posts by Cash Traylor
Old Jul 03, 2001, 10:52 AM
Northants UK
Joined Jun 2001
15 Posts
To allow more or less continuous flying requires three battery packs. One in flight, one cooling (just after flight) and one charging. Alternatively if you have several packs just charge them all and go flying.

I have three packs and this is enough with a powered glider to get a whole afternoons flying in however if you need power all the time I's say the cost od enough packs may be prohibitive.

To the question of Cooling, most people use the wind tunnel per the above description. A discarded PC cooling fan (12V) is good for this, inside a plastic drainage pipe of say 4" dia, you dont need a large blast of air just a constant flow.
Flying is offline Find More Posts by Flying
Old Jul 03, 2001, 11:01 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Don't forget, the motor also needs time to cool!
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jul 03, 2001, 11:15 AM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
Hi Duane,

I had to put a plug in on my Kool Charge here. You will find my website link in the ad.

Best Regards,

Jeff

http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum9/HTML/002457.html
Jeff Meyers is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Meyers
Old Jul 03, 2001, 09:47 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
I understand about cooling the battery packs as outlined in this discussion. But what are you using to "trickle" charge your packs? I have a Hitec 335 charger, should I just put the pack on a very low amperage rate on this charger? I've heard that it sometimes stops charging after an hour or something like that.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Jul 04, 2001, 12:21 AM
Arlington ,Tx ,USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys!
Duane is offline Find More Posts by Duane
Old Jul 04, 2001, 08:27 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
"yes'! Cooling with a tube (such as that sold by Jeff) is recommended. Ice box is NOT!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 04, 2001, 11:46 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
Dottney:
Do a search on "c/10" and you'll have more information on slow charging than you can stand.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood