HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:49 AM
Joined Mar 2005
513 Posts
Discussion
Logo 10 3D vs. Trex 600 (pros & Cons)

I am in the market for a 30-50 sized heli and narrowed it down to the Logo 10 3D or the Trex 600. I would like to hear what everyone thinks of these two helis including Pros and Cons of both. I would like to know everyone's advice as to which one is best for me considering the following criteria:

-I already have two chargers that can charge 3-4 cell lipos and want to avoid buying yet another charger.
-I already have a balancer to charge 3-4 cell lipos and dont want to buy yet another
-I dont want to be limited to flying at a dedicated AMA field.
-Parts quality is important (German vs Taiwan)
-Parts availability and prices

OK, so lets hear it....
Pyrock is offline Find More Posts by Pyrock
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:19 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,358 Posts
I think Logo 14 is more of fair comparison due to size.

Parts quality: Mikado has the upper hand. The Logo line has been around for 7+ years, while T-Rex 5 months. So I doubt you will find any bugs in the Logos.

Parts availability: For me T-Rex wins, because every single local hobby shop carries T-Rex line, and most don't even know what a Logo is.

Prices: Well that's pretty obvious. T-rex 600 is a better value.

Performance: In the hand of capable pilot, they can both do any manuever in the book. When I had my Logo, I found the head to be a little tame to my liking. Haven't tried their new virtual flybar system yet so I can't comment on that. But based on stock setup I find the T-Rex 600 with quicker cyclic.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Oct 17, 2006, 03:09 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,328 Posts
You can use 4 seperate TPX batts and charge them in parallel for either heli. Not the cleanest setup but it works and your charge time with a charger capable of 8 amps is just over an hour or even less depending on the shape of the batteries. ie: my TP prolites charge in an hour or less and my Common Sense batteries take over an hour and a half for the same mah. Using the 4 seperate batteries, you have 6s-2p and 12s-1p available as options. I charge my batteries and then check the balance of each individually. The TP prolites are very good about staying in balance and almost never need to be balanced with the balancer. The Common Sense batteries are out of balance 90% of the time and require extra time to balance and top off the batteries.

I am not sure why you would be limited to flying at an AMA field unless you wish to have coverage under AMA insurance. I am not sure but I don't think that the insurance is valid at any non-AMA designated field. (could be wrong here) Here in Phoenix we cannot fly any gas powered aircraft at the local park so we are limited to electric powered aircraft. Since Lipo's have come out this has not been an issue. We have both the Trex-600 and a Logo10 and fly them at several different parks in the local area with no problems.

I have been impressed with the quality of both companies parts. The Trex-600 needs upgrades in the tail system. The tail grip bearings are having issues but are easily fixed. (I used the 8x4x3 bearings from the main blade grip of the 450xl) There have been complaints about the quality of the tail blades. The tail slider ball is a weak link. (I don't know if this has been addressed yet or not) The tail control arm pivot bolt can twist in the plastic threads if you over limit your tail control and cause the tail control arm to come off the slider ball. (no more control of the tail and since the tail is driven, an auto may not help.) All of these things will most likely be fixed in future kits but you should assume for now that they need looking at and fixing if needed.

It appears for now that the parts will be easier to get for the Trex but I don't have any problems getting either companies parts so that may not help. You need to look at availability in your area for that point.

Prices are a gimmie. The Trex prices are lower overall.

I love how nimble my Logo10 is. The Trex is bigger and is wonderful to fly. I believe it can be made quicker, I just have not done anything to the stock setup and I don't feel the need to.
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Jan 04, 2008, 02:15 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3 Posts
for a newbie???

I have been wanting to get into the heli hobby couple of questions??

1 I like the trex600 but for a new be is it to much?
2. I dont know which is better for a newbie GAS or Electric???

I have no price limit and willing to get the best of everything but need some advice from you gents/gals.... my local hobbie store here in AZ is not very knolwgable in heli...

Any help in this would be great!
mnnmaz is offline Find More Posts by mnnmaz
Old Jan 04, 2008, 02:25 PM
Joined Mar 2005
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnmaz
I have been wanting to get into the heli hobby couple of questions??

1 I like the trex600 but for a new be is it to much?
2. I dont know which is better for a newbie GAS or Electric???

I have no price limit and willing to get the best of everything but need some advice from you gents/gals.... my local hobbie store here in AZ is not very knolwgable in heli...

Any help in this would be great!
This is a very broad question and you will get tons of different answers. What you need to do is ask yourself a couple of questions:

1. Where do you plan on flying? Park? AMA Field? Size of field?
2. What are people in your area flying? Nitro or Electric?

In my opinion, the first question is the most important because if you get an internal cumbustion heli such as Nitro or Gas, you will need a relatively large AMA sanctioned field. If you like to fly in parks or just wherever there is ample space, electric is for you although I see some people fly nitro in vacant fields. I, personally, like to fly wherever there is a safe place so I go electric and I have one for every size field. (325mm blades, 550mm blades, and a 710mm blade or 90-sized heli).
Pyrock is offline Find More Posts by Pyrock
Old Jan 04, 2008, 02:39 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3 Posts
ahhh OK never considered the freedom/space more then likley just where ever there is space

So with that said electric is the best choice....

Do you think that the trex 600 is to much for a beginner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrock
This is a very broad question and you will get tons of different answers. What you need to do is ask yourself a couple of questions:

1. Where do you plan on flying? Park? AMA Field? Size of field?
2. What are people in your area flying? Nitro or Electric?

In my opinion, the first question is the most important because if you get an internal cumbustion heli such as Nitro or Gas, you will need a relatively large AMA sanctioned field. If you like to fly in parks or just wherever there is ample space, electric is for you although I see some people fly nitro in vacant fields. I, personally, like to fly wherever there is a safe place so I go electric and I have one for every size field. (325mm blades, 550mm blades, and a 710mm blade or 90-sized heli).
mnnmaz is offline Find More Posts by mnnmaz
Old Jan 04, 2008, 03:07 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnmaz
ahhh OK never considered the freedom/space more then likley just where ever there is space

So with that said electric is the best choice....

Do you think that the trex 600 is to much for a beginner?
Yes

The Logo or Swift 16 would be a much better choice.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 04, 2008, 04:19 PM
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrock
I am in the market for a 30-50 sized heli and narrowed it down to the Logo 10 3D or the Trex 600. I would like to hear what everyone thinks of these two helis including Pros and Cons of both. I would like to know everyone's advice as to which one is best for me considering the following criteria:

-I already have two chargers that can charge 3-4 cell lipos and want to avoid buying yet another charger.
-I already have a balancer to charge 3-4 cell lipos and dont want to buy yet another
-I dont want to be limited to flying at a dedicated AMA field.
-Parts quality is important (German vs Taiwan)
-Parts availability and prices

OK, so lets hear it....

I own both of these heli's. I run my 500mm bladed Logo 10 3D on 1x 5s Evo25 3700's and my 600mm bladed Trex600 on 10s (2x 5s 3700 packs in series).

The Trex600 is obviously more powerful and performs better in windy conditions. The Logo is still very capable and a lot of fun to fly. Also, I do tend to take the Logo to a local park for a quick fly more often than my Trex600.

Parts availability and prices favour the Trex600, but not enough to put me off the Logo. Overall quality of both heli's is very good imop.

Your biggest constraint seems to be your chargers/balancers. If you want to move into larger electric helis you really should look at upgrading these. Otherwise, maybe you should limit your selection to something a bit smaller like a Trex500 imop.

Cheers,
Tom C
TomC is online now Find More Posts by TomC
Old Jan 04, 2008, 04:27 PM
NTM
Lloydminster, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
293 Posts
I'd say the opposite Rcman, I find the trex 600 to be very stable, underpowered and slow.
The logo steph280 was flying was probably one of the old mikado head designs, built before hard 3d became popular. The newer head designs are extremely fast on the cyclic, yet stable.
I think the trex 600 is good for a beginner on the stock 6s power system, but lacking for really laying down the smack.
I've owned several logo's and my freinds all fly the rex 600's. If it weren't for the parts prices they'd be flying logo's as well.
They don't regret having the rex 600 to learn on as parts are cheap and it's heavy rotor disk loading adds stability in the wind and slows everything down a little.

The swift is a great beginners option as well, but the quality is far less than the rex and downright laughable compared to the logo. I learned on one of these and it was very cost effective. Really made me appreciate the quality and smoothness of the mikado's once I started flying them.

If your a beginner, I'd go with the rex600, mostly due to cheap parts.
If you're starting to get into some decent 3d, then I'd say the logo 10-3d, as it has a much better power to weight ratio.
And yes rex 600 fans, I know the trex 600 can do every maneuver in the book, but the logo 10-3d does it harder, faster, stronger
NTM is offline Find More Posts by NTM
Old Jan 04, 2008, 06:35 PM
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
1,300 Posts
NTM,

A properly setup 10s Trex600 will easily keep up to a Logo 10 3D imop.

Also, owned a 5s Swift 16 for almost 2 years and with a few inexpensive upgrades it flew as good as my 5s Logo 10 3D. No doubt the quality of the Logo is a tad better, but not as much as you suggest imop. Overall, I think that the Swift 16 is still the best bang for your buck. Sorry I sold mine.

Cheers,
Tom C
TomC is online now Find More Posts by TomC
Old Jan 04, 2008, 07:22 PM
NTM
Lloydminster, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
NTM,

A properly setup 10s Trex600 will easily keep up to a Logo 10 3D imop.
True when it comes to strictly power, 10s rex's fly with a "heavy" feel to them though.
Besides why would you do a 10s rex if you're starting from scratch ?
The trex 600's value stems from the included 6s motor and esc, if you're not using those you might as well buy a machine built for 10s, like a 6003d or logo 14, and shed a pound or two of weight and end up with more flight time and performance.

Ahhh, the point is moot anyways, his charger and balancer is only good for a trex 450 or 500 anyways.
Old Jan 04, 2008, 09:27 PM
Joined Jan 2006
830 Posts
I agree with Tom C,

The T600 on 10S is a real popper, but 10S battery packs do hit the visa card a bit hard .

And I also agree with him re: the Swift 16 (still am flying the heck out of mine). Their current version is a real winner, and on 6 cells it has much the same pop as the T600 on 10 cells. A great heli for the price. Easy to set for mild training or for some pretty harsh 3D with 515mm to 530mm mainblades.

Like the Logo 10 has evolved from the 14, the current version of the Swift 16 has also evolved a lot since its intro a few years ago, but they have kept the name the same.

On a 4 cell/5000mah one can set it up for more gentle 11 minute flights with lower head speeds for training and milder aerobatics or gear for higher head speed and shorter flights for some very good 3D....and progress up to 6 cell packs and higher head speeds for some very impressive and more extreme 3D....al from one airframe!
syclic is offline Find More Posts by syclic
Last edited by syclic; Jan 04, 2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2008, 02:47 AM
NTM
Lloydminster, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syclic

Like the Logo 10 has evolved from the 14, the current version of the Swift 16 has also evolved a lot since its intro a few years ago, but they have kept the name the same.
The logo 14 is a step up from the logo 10-3d.
The 500 and 600 3d evolved out of the two of those.

I thought my swift flew okay, decent performance on 6s and 550mm blades. My main gripe was that 1 in 5 brand new parts out of the package was defective in some way. Flawed moldings, tail hubs drilled off center, etc.
That and it was ugly enough that I wanted to crash it, lol.
Wonder if the much nicer looking swift 620 canopy fits ?
Despite the issues I had, it was a great trainer for me though...

Please take my comments regarding the 10s rex 600 performance with a grain of salt, I'm becoming rather jaded these days, I'm currently beating up on a logo 6003d with v-bar, stretched out to 690mm blades with an actro 32-3 "max" and flightpower 25c 4350mah packs.
7.9 pounds ready to fly on 690's and 4000watts on tap, I'll never be the same again, lol
Old Jan 05, 2008, 03:44 AM
Joined May 2005
914 Posts
I had a properly setup 10S T-Rex 600, best of everything you could do, 1912(H)-1Y, 55-10-32 etc... It flew "Heavy" and that is all there is to it. MY Logo 5003D with 550s ate that rex alive and then some, and that is no joke. The Logo 10 on 6S is crazy light for sure. If you are into the new and want excellent power to weight consider the 5003D, you would not be dissapointed.
OICU812 is offline Find More Posts by OICU812
Old Jan 05, 2008, 04:40 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,328 Posts
Funny thing, Pyrok started this thread a little over a year ago and it appears you guys missed that it was not him that got it started again. mnnmaz does not mention that he is limited by any particular charger but he does mention that he is not limited by money. So, mnnmaz, what part of AZ do you live in? I can help you with hobby stores in the Phoenix area but not in any other city.
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy