HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2006, 02:02 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,667 Posts
Download
Higher Plane Productions: Fly Low. Roll tape. Now in HIGH DEFINITION!

I decided to start a single thread where I can post video updates. See all the videos here: http://higherplaneproductions.com
fmidgett is offline Find More Posts by fmidgett
Site Sponsor
Last edited by fmidgett; Jan 10, 2007 at 04:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2006, 02:03 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,667 Posts
New EF Yak 54 QuickTake vid at Higher Plane Productions

Today's Higher Plane QuickTake is of the 47" Extreme Flight Yak 54e. You can see the vid on my site: http://higherplaneproductions.com

For the first time I am releasing an entire 8+ minute flight with NO editing. I get a lot of comments that people enjoy my RC films yet still long to see the entire unedited flight. So, this one is for the "naturalists" out there.

We had been filming all day, right to sunset. While trying to pack up before we lost all the light at the field, I noticed that the post-sunset sky looked really nice. I asked pilot Bob if he thought he could fly in the near-darkness and he said one word. "Sure!" We threw a battery in the EF Yak and took off. Bob does some really graceful flying. I'm amazed that he never lost orientation. When he landed it was practically dark. This was his second flight EVER on the EF Yak, the first being two days before on a windy afternoon. Wow, what a pilot!

I have also left in all of the little comments during the flight. The motor sounds are punctuated throughout by my voice directing Bob to do certain maneuvers. This is a little glimpse of what's going on behind the scenes of a Higher Plane Production. It's also one of the reasons you will rarely see unedited footage. We shoot for the final cut, so that often means that bits of the flight are rendered unusable by sound or repositioning the camera. As one-takes go, this was a good one.

Also, please take note of how smooth the video footage is start to finish. I regularly employ several camera stabilizing techniques which are really panning out and giving you RC buffs an opportunity to see these small planes in action with almost no camera shake at all!

There has been much discussion about a 4s versus 3s battery on this plane. OK. I admit... "I like big props and I can not lie..." So for me, 3s with a 14x7 prop is much preferable to 4s running a small prop like a 12x6. The cowl on this thing is BIG so a big prop helps my flying...especially hovering. If you like raw power, long lines, rocket-ship vertical and super fast snaps you may prefer 4s, but I think this video clearly shows this ship is awesome on 3s!!

-Fred

http://higherplaneproductions.com
"Fly low. Roll tape."
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:18 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,667 Posts
Last week I promised those on the Extreme Flight Yak 54 thread some footage of the plane in a 4s setup. Here it is. This link is to the VIP Page on my site. There are two vids on the page. 3s and 4s.

http://higherplaneproductions.com/VIPPage4.html

The 4s is definitely more peppy. Over 500 Watts with a 12x6. I found it hard to hover though as you will see. This could be explained by the cg...as I expect I was a tad nose heavy with the 4s pack. Definitely "hoverable" in this config, I'm just not able to get it to "stick" yet. I have gone back to 3s 14x7 and I like that better. I might try a 13x6.5 on 4s. That would give me the bigger radius and SICK power, but will be over-amping the battery at WOT.

You will see in the end that I break a wheel on the landing. I've broken two wheels now, both my fault really. This plane flies so light, it's hard to remember it weighs 3 lbs! If you turn too sharply with a lot of speed you risk breaking the spokes out from the side torque that is applied. The first wheel I broke because I had bent the LG when I fell out of a hover and flipped it. I didn't notice that I had bent the gear adding about 20* toe-in. I plopped the next landing and once again the side torque broke the spokes. I think the wheels are actually fairly strong, but they are light wheels, and will not be overly forgiving of any sideways pressure. Keep that in mind. -Fred
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2006, 05:26 PM
o___O
NY
Joined Sep 2004
629 Posts
sweet vids and it's no suprise
john-rcg is offline Find More Posts by john-rcg
Old Oct 17, 2006, 05:33 PM
Columbus, oh
Joined Apr 2003
372 Posts
Fred
Where in your video can I see the holes for cooling? I watched it, but didn't pick them up. Great video though!
rightflyer is offline Find More Posts by rightflyer
Old Oct 17, 2006, 05:40 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightflyer
Fred
Where in your video can I see the holes for cooling? I watched it, but didn't pick them up. Great video though!
Go to the VIP Page (link above) and watch the 4s video. In the beginning of the vid I point them out. -Fred
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:35 AM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,667 Posts
New Video from HigherPlane: 3DHobbyShop ARF's are comiing!

At long last I can finally start to let this cat out of the bag! Please check out the Higher Plane Productions web site for today's new video release for 3DHobbyShop: "They're coming..."

There will be much more to show and tell next week. For now, check out the teaser vid and know that something very exciting is on the horizon. I'll tell you all about it on November 1st! If you are dying to know, talk to Ben at 3DHobbyShop.com. Maybe you can get him to talk. ;-) Until then...

Fly low. Roll tape.

Fred
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:50 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Kewl. Looks like a Katana and Extra to me . What size are we talking about anyway?
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:53 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
About 4 feet or so.

As usual, the work by HigherPlane Productions is magnificent.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:54 AM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,060 Posts
I know you cant say much about what's coming Fred, but can you tell us what wingspan range to expect form a "mid-sized" electric?? When I hear that, I think of 55-65 inch or so, am I way off?

From what we can see, they both look GREAT, cant wait to see them.

Edit: I should read posts above before asking questions...
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Last edited by NumbSkull; Oct 24, 2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:22 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbSkull
I know you cant say much about what's coming Fred, but can you tell us what wingspan range to expect form a "mid-sized" electric?? When I hear that, I think of 55-65 inch or so, am I way off?

From what we can see, they both look GREAT, cant wait to see them.
OK, not to reveal anything for which I have been sworn to secrecy to, but my personal definitions would be as follows:

Small-size electric 28"-41" wing span, flies on a 2s - 3s 1200-1800 mAh lipo.
Mid-size electric 42"-50" wing span, flies on a 3s - 4s 1800-2500 mAh lipo.
Big-size electric 51"-68" wing span, flies on a 4s - 6s 4000-6000 mAh lipo.
Giant-size electric 69"+ wing span, flies on a 6s - 10s 4000-6000 mAh lipo.

Not trying to invent or redefine any rules here, these are just the way I think about my aircraft, and I used that thinking when I described these new planes coming from 3DH.

;-)

-Fred
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:31 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
lol,

Based on that, then how do you define value for mid-size electric?
>200 expensive
130-200 fair
<130 value? .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:49 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc
Kewl. Looks like a Katana and Extra to me . What size are we talking about anyway?

First I must say that you guys are EVIL! That is so mean to do that to us.

I agree on the katana because of the wing fillets. The other appears to be a yak54 to me. I could be wrong as I think that it was only in one in-flight shot. In the last shot of the two planes it appears that the one on the left has "54" on the wing and a round cowl. I have been wrong once before though!
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 01:05 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
In order to have value, you have to offer more than the other guys for less.

Ok...not going to say much more...for now...
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Last edited by blucor basher; Oct 24, 2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 01:37 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Yes, yes more for less is always a good thang!!!

Ben Rodriguez
Ben-Rod is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Rod