HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2001, 03:00 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,616 Posts
NiMh Storage

I have many NiMh battery packs (large and small) that will not be used for about 9 months. Should I charge or discharge them before storage? Any other storage recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2001, 08:52 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,327 Posts
Your choice really as to whether you leave them charged or discharged. They will self-discharge over time anyway. Just give them a good cycling when you get back to freshen them up. Store them in a cool, dry place where they won't develop condensation and rust the cells. On a shelf in the house would be my suggestion.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 03, 2001, 12:11 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
324 Posts
I left a NiMH pack discharged over the last winter, and it is dead as a stone now. Well, almost. It will take a tiny bit of charge, quickly lose it though.
Mikey_Flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey_Flies
Old Jul 03, 2001, 10:26 AM
Alleroed - Denmark
Joined May 2001
25 Posts
A guy from Panasonic once told me, that the best place to store the recharge-able cells whas in the refrigerator, because it was dark and most of all: cold.

/Jesper
Jesper Reich is offline Find More Posts by Jesper Reich
Old Jul 03, 2001, 10:56 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Interestingly, the instructions for current Schulze chargers recommend putting a partial charge back into NiMH cells, especially Panasonics, before storage. This is different than the NiCd storage regimen of storing packs discharged.

I haven't had any NiMH packs long enough to know whether this is an issue or not....
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jul 04, 2001, 03:30 AM
Certified Propellerhead
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Mar 2001
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BCawley:
Interestingly, the instructions for current Schulze chargers recommend putting a partial charge back into NiMH cells, especially Panasonics, before storage.
Two weeks ago, I was out flying my TwinJet with 8*3000 NiMH from Panasonic.
I left the two packs discharged until yesterday (which I normally never do), and now they won't take a fast charge. They generate false peaks all the time, so I had to go home again without flying as much as I would have liked to do

A slow charge overnight will save them.......... I hope.

Mikael Pedersen is offline Find More Posts by Mikael Pedersen