HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:19 AM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2006
442 Posts
Discussion
im looking for a good tutorial

of how to measure the amp my motor is using, im little confused the spec of the motor says:

Brushless Motor Descriptions:
- Size: Dia.31 x 28mm (not included shaft)
- Weight: about 57g
- Input: from 6V-12V, for 2-3 cells Lipo batteries
- Current Limit: 15Amp (recommended used with 30A brushless ESC)
- With plastic mount and nuts
- Suitable for GWS Props.

Recommended props: 6x4, 7x3, 7x4 or 8x4, etc.

1-I DONT KNOW WHAT BATT TO USE CUZ 1600 AT 10C ARE GONNA SUFFER IF THE MOTOR DRIVES MORE THAN THEY CAN GIVE
2-WHY IF IT USE 15AMP NEEDS A ESC OF 30A
3-WHICH PROPPELER USE THE PLANE WEIGHT IS 19 ONZ
4- DO I NEED A BIGGER BATT.
note: already send a email to the seller asking more info
SRY THE CAPITALS and for so many qx
thxs
jaas75 is offline Find More Posts by jaas75
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:44 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
best way is with a wattmeter

The Astro Flight Wattmeter will tell you the voltage, current and wattage you are actually getting. Very useful in setting up your power system.

You use an ESC rated higher than the motor to account for starting surge. When you slap the throttle to full from 0 the motor can draw many times its constant full throttle current. The electronics can overload if the ESC is marginal. Double the motor rating is a bit peessimistic, but a 15 to 20 amp rated ESC could get overloaded due to start surge when you have a 15 amp constant draw at full throttle.

Choose the battery based on aiming for 15 minute flights. Thats usually 7 to 9 minutes of full power. The batteries will last for more charge-discharge cycles, even if you have the hiogh current rated ones. If you are consistantly getting less than 6 min per charge.. you are stressing the batteries.

Battery size and prop choice are more dependant on the flying style than on the aircraft weight. For a trainer, I would recommend basing the battery on full throttle equalling 8C current. (trainers tend to get run at or near full throttle a lot)

A 3D model, you could have full throttle pulling 20C (which if maintained drains a pack in 3 min) and still get a 15 min flight...
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Last edited by fhhuber506771; Oct 16, 2006 at 12:53 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:53 PM
Joined Oct 2006
442 Posts
thanks for the quick answer but i still dunno how to tested cuz, im gonna buy a battery pack according to the quantity of amp the motors draws, but iniatially to test, wich power source should i use to test

thxs againg
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:12 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
start out with a power system EXACTLY as recommended by someone with the same plane.

There will most likely be a thread that describes the correct motor + ESC + battery + prop for your model.

since you are listing a specific motor... I hope you picked on that has already been used by an experienced modeler on the plane you intend to fly with it. Its very dissapointing to find that you got a motor that will not provide appropriate power for the plane you WANTED to put it on.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:12 PM
Joined Oct 2006
442 Posts
actually i was looking on ebay for a ESC and then i saw a combo of a 30a esc and a brushless motor(thats the one im asking lol) at extremely good price but the seller dont tell much info on the motor so i dont want to wasted, and im asking to know what to do with it

thxs againg
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:07 AM
S. Calif.
Joined Mar 2005
255 Posts
Jaas75, what airplane do you have?

Philip
philipnow is offline Find More Posts by philipnow
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:17 AM
RC Dans
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Jun 2005
383 Posts
Im rather new to figuring all this out too. Providing the right info, there is someone here that can help you im sure.

What type of plane specifc model.
As much info as you can find out about the motor.
Not sure what all is listed in this ebay listing but a link to that couldn't hurt.
These are a couple things that could really help

I probably can't help you but with that info someone can.
Noto is offline Find More Posts by Noto
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:33 PM
Joined Oct 2006
442 Posts
hi thxs againg for the answers, i still dont have one, im planning to get a gws tiger moth, i had a j3 grasshopper and 2 aeroace.
so i began to buy the electronics part by part to initiate the kit, next is the batt and charger (lipo)
heres the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4143&rd=1&rd=1