HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:35 PM
Joined Oct 2006
15 Posts
Discussion
rook needs help

New to this and just got a 3d Tiger Moth, I have a 2-channel chepie coming to learn but need help with this. The prop is running at full power even with the plane turned off. The manufacturer says have trim turned all the way down and I think i do. Is there a site that shows the parts of a controller? What else could be going on?
Thank you
rewqaz is offline Find More Posts by rewqaz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:38 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
wow i will assume you have some experience flying rc airplanes even though this is your first post on this website. whats your experience?
Luisfc1972 is offline Find More Posts by Luisfc1972
Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:21 PM
Joined Oct 2006
15 Posts
nope, how screwed am i with this plane?
the negative wire wasn't attached when i got her and i reattached it. now it runs full throttle even when the plane is turned off. as soon as the battery is attached the motor goes. the servos respond to the on/off though
Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:36 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
Well there are several neg wires, which one? What kind of rc gear do you have?
If you'll give us some more detail, we'll try to help. Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:08 AM
Joined Oct 2006
15 Posts
the wire from the motor to the ESC came loose and i reconnected it.

the transmitter came with teh plane.

basically, when i connect the battery, the motor goes full throttle.
4-channel transmitter.
trim set all the way down
on/off button doesn't work for the motor but does the servos
Old Oct 16, 2006, 03:05 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
Some radios have a reverse switch on the throttle. Check to see if you do and switch it. Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Oct 16, 2006, 07:43 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,397 Posts
Sorry if this seems a stupid question, but as a newbie, you do realise that the throttle stick should be all the way down as well as the throttle trim, before switching on.
Also always switch tx on then rx, and rx off then tx.

One other check is put the throttle stick and trim to the top, then connect the battery, (be very careful). Does the motor still run at maximum, or is it now off? and speeds up when you move the stick down? in other words reversed.

If it does, the channel needs reversing, check for a reversing switch on the tx, as Butch pointed out.

If the motor still runs flat out with no control, it looks like you have some fault with the ESC, and the model may need replacing by the supplier.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:01 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,418 Posts
Hate to say it but you just got into the hobby and you have a 3D Tiger moth as your first plane?
You're gonna need a whole lot more help besides an ESC problem. Buy lots of foam safe CA. That plane's lifespan is measured in seconds right now.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:22 AM
Crash tester
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewqaz
nope, how screwed am i with this plane?
Very.

3d flying is about the top skill level of flying. Planes built for 3d don't fly like normal planes, and will crash without much warning unless you have a ton of practice

As for the motor running on like that, it sounds like the ESC is toast. if you can move the throttle to full and back down without the motor speed changing, then yep, it's toast.
Drunkskunk is offline Find More Posts by Drunkskunk
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:14 PM
Joined Oct 2006
15 Posts
OK lets answer some questions;

The black wire from the motor to the ESC came loose at the ESC

Yes I've learned enough now that I know how to run the tx and rx and when to do what.

Can someone suggest a plane that I can transfer this motor and tx too, that would be better for me to get started?
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:33 PM
Joined Oct 2006
15 Posts
Should the black wire from the motor be connected where the black wire from the battery connects?
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
New to this and just got a 3d Tiger Moth, I have a 2-channel chepie coming to learn but need help with this. The prop is running at full power even with the plane turned off. The manufacturer says have trim turned all the way down and I think i do. Is there a site that shows the parts of a controller? What else could be going on?
Thank you
Hi rewqaz,

I'm just a beginner myself, but maybe you accidently did what I did the other day. I was playing around with my transmitter, learning and experimenting with how the servo's reacted when I changed settings on my transmitter. I was doing things like 'reversing' servo controls, and for some reason I must have reversed something in my transmitter I shouldn't have, because as soon as I did.... even with my throttle stick turned all the way to off position... the motor took off at full throttle and scared the bejeesus out of me. I forget exactly which control it was that I reversed right now, but it acted exactly like how you describe yours is acting.

Good luck in getting your problem fixed!

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:59 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,991 Posts
rewqaz,
I'm sure all this radio stuff and negative comments about your plane and all must be bumming you out. I don't blame you for getting frustrated, but unfortunately, you have jumped into this hobby without enough info to make any good decisions.
The plane you have is best left in the closet for a good long time right now. You have asked for suggestions for another plane to "fit the motor and radio" you have.....but..you still haven't told us what brand, type, size, etc your stuff is. This is just as if you went to auto Zone and said I need some spark plugs. There are only about a zillion different plugs available, all fitting different motors, brands, sizes, types, etc. SAME with RC stuff.
You have to provide specifics, but I have a feeling there are none with your equipment. Is it just generic stuff? China?
If you are really interested in learning to fly RC planes I feel that the best thing you could do for yourself right now is to spend a week or two just reading all the beginner posts around here. Take notes, ask questions, but make no buying decisions yet. Get more educated about the equipment and plane styles first.
That's just my recommendation based on what I've read here. I wish you the best learning RC, but it's not something you can just pick up and toss in the air....much more than that is involved.
If you just can't wait and want to try something anyway...then try to find an Air Hoggs Aero Ace 2 channel, small twin prop toy that actually flies pretty well, and darn near indestructable. Larger ToyRUs usually carry them. Do a search here and you will find millions of posts about them. Cute little buggers.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:58 AM
Joined Oct 2006
15 Posts
thanks Ken

I think you're right
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:05 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Should the black wire from the motor be connected where the black wire from the battery connects?
Ummmm... like I said, I'm a beginner too, but something about this is bothering me. I'm pretty sure the black wire from the motor does NOT connect to the battery side of the esc. The battery side of the esc should go to the battery only, both leads. On the OTHER side of the esc should be the motor wires. I think you are bypassing the esc!

If I'm wrong, don't forget, I'm still a newbie.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)