HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2002, 08:43 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Aug 2002
75 Posts
Need a Twin Otter!

Just returned from flying a sp400 Hobby Lobby Cub on floats while on vacation, and I am so hooked with ROW flight!
I need to start a new project for the next vacation, and I need help finding a Twin Otter for E-flight. Want to use brushless this time, so any advise on where to find this bird would be helpful.
ucfcheez is offline Find More Posts by ucfcheez
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:21 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,507 Posts
There was one in RC Modeler magazine that used twin geared Mag mayhems or Speed 600s. You could get those plans and drop a couple of brushless motors into them. It wasn't too long ago, maybe 6 months ago.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is online now Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:54 AM
CP140 NAVCOM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2001
655 Posts
I believe this is the guy... Anton Eisele (one of our club Members). If you don't like building from scratch, you're in luck! He makes kits of these. They fly beautifuly ROW and ROG! If you intend to flu it only on floats though, I'd make the nose stubby like all the Twotters on floats up here. Go to Beldone models . Here's something to wet your whistle!
knight of Ni is offline Find More Posts by knight of Ni
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:55 AM
CP140 NAVCOM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2001
655 Posts
and....BTW you WONT need to go Brushless at all! Twin Mag meyhams will give you tonnes of power, and will save you a bunch of $$$$ too.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 01:44 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,507 Posts
Thats the one. Now that I know there is a kit, I may have to get one.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is online now Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 26, 2002, 10:10 PM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
678 Posts
Hi Paul

My wife says that she is going to buy me the CL-415 for Christmas. I like the Twin Otter too. It looks absolutely great on floats. We should get together to fly sometime as I live in Portland. Drop me a line at my email address goshert@earthlink. net so I can get in touch with you.

Bill
ClipperBill is offline Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Old Aug 28, 2002, 12:38 AM
CP140 NAVCOM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2001
655 Posts
you mean this one.... It flies just as nice as the TwOtter, just fewer paint schemes to choose from....
Old Aug 28, 2002, 07:16 PM
Baboon McGoon
Joined Jun 2002
678 Posts
Hi Mike,
That's the one. Is it your's?
Bill
Old Aug 28, 2002, 07:37 PM
CP140 NAVCOM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2001
655 Posts
Nope that's Anton's persnal plane (BTW that's his TwOtter too). I've just gotne to watch them fly at Chilliwack a couple of times. I mayu be getting one of his plans that he hasn't published yet though. (hush Hush......)
Old Aug 28, 2002, 09:06 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Not many paint schemes for CL-215 ??

When I built my CL-215, I contacted Canadair. They sent me 8x10 glossy of 4 different paint schemes. I replicated the Royal Thai Navy SAR airplane: Rlack, white, red, with yellow background for the ROYAL THAI NAVY lettering, and other parts.

I just Have to get the wing fixed, get that back in the air...too kewl to just gather dust.

Terry in Portland H20FLY
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Aug 29, 2002, 12:29 AM
Baboon McGoon
Joined Jun 2002
678 Posts
Do youknow what kind of floats Anton uses for the Twin Otter? It looks great to see a twin float plane.
Old Aug 29, 2002, 08:23 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Another option is the Canadair CL-415 from plans in Flying Models a few years ago. Balsa/ply with about 500 squares of wing. Twin geared 400's. I started building mine (on and off now) but its very easy to build. Since we have no bodies of water to speak of around here I am making a bomb bay in the hull at the CG point to drop baking soda or pink powdered paint to simulate slurry drops

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old Aug 29, 2002, 09:10 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Aug 2002
75 Posts
Great help, guys! Anton has been great in answering my questions as well. Now I just need to decide if I want to use sp600's or go with the brushless. I am tempted to go brushless, but need to learn if I need one speed control or two, and if I should gear the motors like I did my speed400.
ucfcheez is offline Find More Posts by ucfcheez
Old Aug 29, 2002, 11:19 PM
CP140 NAVCOM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2001
655 Posts
ClipperBill, I'm not totally sure, drop him a line @ his site listed above and he can tell you everything about it, and then some...
Old Aug 30, 2002, 04:06 AM
Baboon McGoon
Joined Jun 2002
678 Posts
Thanks Mike! Thanks Greg for the heads up on the Flying Models CL-415. I'll check it out.