HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 15, 2006, 08:50 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
Discussion
Stop telling noobs to get Slow Stick as first plane

First plane should be an RTF Easy Star or T-Hawk. The perfect second plane would be a Slow Stick.
Luisfc1972 is offline Find More Posts by Luisfc1972
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2006, 08:51 PM
oh crap! did I do that?
cochran,GA
Joined Oct 2005
268 Posts
Why?

J
JTStone is offline Find More Posts by JTStone
Old Oct 15, 2006, 09:08 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
learn how to fly a 3 channel plane before you even attempt to build one.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 09:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972
First plane should be an RTF Easy Star or T-Hawk. The perfect second plane would be a Slow Stick.
Hi Luis,

I'm really glad that your choice of first planes has helped you to earn your wings! But there all all kinds of newbie fliers out there. I agree that for maybe most newcomers to the hobby, the ES may in fact be a great plane to learn on, as well as the T-Hawk.

But there is another large group of people, who like myself, find that even the lazy and slow speeds of the ES and the T-Hawk, and the Wind Dragon, et al, are still just a hair too fast for us. We are the type of people who are maybe up in our years and suffer from reduced reaction times (a natural occurence), or we are the type of people who are more timid than most other people and therefore not willing to let ourselves fly a plane for the first time with the same 'devil may care' personality that other people have. Sometimes we are the type of person who has a hard time dealing with failure, and therefore we approach the new hobby with a sense of "I'll probably fail at this too" mental attitude.

For all these types of people, and maybe many more types I haven't mentioned, the Slow Stick makes an EXCELLENT trainer. I speak from experience, because my first trainer was a Slo-V, which is the kissin' cousin of the Slow Stick. I earned my wings with the Slo-V... got confidant with it... and got an Easy Star last week. In all fairness, I must say that for ME.... and maybe other people like me, the ES would have just been TOO fast as a first trainer. My training on my Slo-V however, gave me the necessary skills to be able to handle my ES very quickly.

So, are the Slow Stick and Slo-V's better beginner planes than the ES? The answer is a resounding YES.... but ONLY IF we are talking about people who don't fit the same mold as the rest of the newbie pilots.

It's a big world out there, with lot's of varying skills in lots of different people and personalities. No one plane will ever be THE best, no matter what level of skill you ever attain... from newbie to advanced aerobatic professionals.

Nice chatting with you!

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Last edited by NoFlyZone; Oct 15, 2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 09:14 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,252 Posts
I helped a new flying bud today ROG, fly a few laps, and then land. Went over his SS and did a few tweaks, and he was flying. This SS was beat to snot and still flew great.

He was a very happy camper.
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
Last edited by pullup!; Oct 15, 2006 at 09:15 PM. Reason: man I type slow
Old Oct 15, 2006, 09:18 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
Chuck, just because you have plenty of experience with rc flight does not make it easy for a first timer just getting into the hobby. I was a beginner a few months ago and chose the easystar. I learned to fly a tough 3 channel Easy Star that can handle wind and some very tough crashes.

If i had chosen the slow stick, My Dios i would be tearing my hair out. How can you honestly say the slow stick is the best beginner rc airplane? 10 seconds into the first flight in 3mph wind the noob would crash several times and just basically give up the hobby. I dont even want to get into a noob buying the correct electronics for it and choosing a TX and programming it.

After I learned to fly my trusty steed, my Easy Star (My Bucephalus), i bought myself a slow stick. This is way after I learned about what ESC or what type of battery, etc. etc. to buy.
Last edited by Luisfc1972; Oct 15, 2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 09:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972
Chuck, just because you have plenty of experience with rc flight does not make it easy for a first timer just getting into the hobby. I was a beginner a few months ago and chose the easystar. I learned to fly a tough 3 channel Easy Star that can handle wind and some very tough crashes.
Hi again Luis,

I'm not an experienced flyer. I'm a newbie like yourself. You either a) read my post and dismissed it out of hand as worthless tripe, or b) you didn't understand anything I said. And in that case, the fault lies with me. Next time, I'll use smaller words.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Oct 15, 2006, 09:30 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
My gubernaculum itches.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 09:43 PM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
I disagree with you about not suggesting a slow stick as a first plane.

You're only as noob as you choose. I'd consider myself a noob and I am in fact considering a slow stick as my first plane - there is a wealth of information on this forum and I've read quite a bit of it. I think more people like myself should hunker down and read the information here before going out and buying a plane. Knowledge is power.

I just feel you have no right to say something as strong as "Stop telling noobs to get Slow Stick as first plane." I understand you disagree but without a lot of solid and sound experience as to why you feel this way I don't think you should come out and state something like that. Simply saying it isn't a good plane because you need to know what ESC and what battery to get is not adequate. Those things have NOTHING to do with the Slow Stick or its flying characteristics.
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:06 PM
Luisfc1972
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Offensive content (Profanity). It is temporarily hidden while Luisfc1972 edits it.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:17 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,930 Posts
10 million SS pilots can't all be wrong.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:17 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I agree and disagree........

I agree that too many people suggest the slow stick as a beginner plane. You don't know how many people suggested that I would buy it. I was getting sick of it. I've read that the slow stick can be great for a beginner and not so great. It is a good beginner plane because it is just slow. It is a bad beginner plane because it is fragile and can not really take a big hit. So, I agree that most people tell noobies to get that plane, but disagree a little because many people learned how to fly off of it.

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:20 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,371 Posts
When I was a noob I knew that I was going to stick with the hobby and didn't want the crap that came with the setups that you've mentioned. I wanted to invest in stuff that was going to last a few years and many airplanes. I actually bought a shockflyer as my first plane. I managed to build and fly it by myself, but did end up crashing it after about the 5th flight.

After that a picked up a slow stick and thought that it was the perfect first plane, and the one that I should have gotten to begin with. Seriously, if you can't build/repair/fly a slowstick, then this is not the hobby for you. It's the easiest flying plane that I've ever had. It's amazingly easy to put together and it lasted through many of my crashes. It taught me how to fly and when I was done abusing it I gave it to another noob and it taught him how to fly. I flew it outdoors, indoors, thermalled it, sloped it, put it on skiis and put it on floats. What more could you want from a plane that costs less than $50?

FWIW,
Greg
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:22 PM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Luis,

What I'm saying is, don't come here and simply say what you said in your first post without expanding and explaining why you feel the way you do:

Quote:
"First plane should be an RTF Easy Star or T-Hawk. The perfect second plane would be a Slow Stick."
No where do you justify or state why you feel the way you do - why is the slow stick better as a second plane rather than a first? Yes you do have the right to express yourself, and I appreciate that you are letting me express mine.

To answer your question about what my first RC purchases have been. I started with a Firebird XL - I lost it while flying to a thermal. So far I have not bought a TX, RX, ESC, or any airplane kit. I've been reading since August and have been continuing to do so. I'm not ready to purchase my setup because I don't feel I have all the information I need. The only other rc product I have purchased has been an Air Hogs Aero Ace Jet but I'm not sure I'd really classify that as a true airplane kit

Yes, I am serious about telling noobs that come here to do their research before buying ANYTHING, even if they are not interested in a slow stick. If you don't equip yourself with information I just think you're doing yourself a disservice. So no I'm not "fking kidding" you. Again, knowledge is power. I feel too many people come here looking for a quick fix or simple answer. I don't work that way - I research products and strive to learn as much as I can in order to make sure I get the most enjoyment out of whatever it is I do. I'm not saying that you have to study for hours but doing so doesn't hurt anything - in fact I feel it will allow you to get more out of the hobby which is the whole point in my opinion.

So again, the reason I said your statement was so strong - and maybe that was the wrong word - was simply because you had no information or facts backing your opinion. It was simply just that, an opinion - it has no backing or reasoning.

Edit: by the way.. I have never told noobs to go buy a slow stick. In my previous post I said exactly what I do; I suggest the slow stick ALONG with other airplanes as a first plane. Ultimately it is up to them to decide.
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:35 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
again, the Slow Stick is a terrible first plane to learn on. Good luck to a new guy waiting for less than 3mph winds day to fly it. of course a new guy isnt giong to wait and so there will be many trips to the local Hobby shop.

Nevermind learning how to put the plane together and all that implies.

Slow Stick is a great 2ND plane.
Last edited by Luisfc1972; Jan 25, 2007 at 02:22 PM.
Closed Thread