HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by questtek, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 05:31 PM
Professor Joe Valencic
Lake Forest, Ca.
Joined Oct 2006
223 Posts
Cool
RC Duck

The lake that I live on has a wide assortment of birds, including two, very aggressive female white swans. The females get hyperactive when the newborn Canadian Geese and Malards start to hatch out, often going after them with the intention of killing them. We loose quite a few young waterfoul just as they are learning to swim as a result of the dominant white swans.

I thought I would help the balance of nature a bit by introducing a rather small duck that was not only not afraid of these large swans but would go after them.
My duck was RC controlled, high speed and got the job done. While it is doubtful if you can teach swans....they certain learn to fear things they do not understand.

The attached pictures show a pair of plastic duck decoys that can be purchased at most hunting stores for less than $10 a pair. I designed a "boat-type" insert that fits into the bottom of one of the ducks. It contains an underwater 12 vdc motor with 4 bladed prop that is pivoted by a servo in the dry, upper compartment. This compartment also holds a 12 VDC, 10 cell NiMetal Hydride pack, Hi-Tek receiver and marine speed controller. All simple stuff. The power is turned on by a tiny waterproof switch protecte by a red rubber boot located under the tail.

Hope this brings a few smiles to my RC boating friends...........after all, it is not always about speed!
questtek is offline Find More Posts by questtek
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:04 AM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
That's pretty inventive. But be carefull as some would not take too kindly to you chasing the Swans. They might consider it harrassing the wildlife.

But it's cool that your trying to give the other water fowl a chance to survive. I'd love to see a video of the Duck in action.

Steve
Vintauri is online now Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:08 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,192 Posts
This is just too funny! As long as the swans aren't being hurt by it....No Harm, No Foul! (sorry, I couldn't resist!)
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:36 PM
Professor Joe Valencic
Lake Forest, Ca.
Joined Oct 2006
223 Posts
All good points and since my wife is a bird lover I am kept in check just to help assist the balance of nature...Not to control it!
Old Nov 06, 2006, 12:14 AM
sf
Joined Jul 2006
68 Posts
We really need a video of this.
eightdayslate is offline Find More Posts by eightdayslate
Old Nov 07, 2006, 09:47 PM
Professor Joe Valencic
Lake Forest, Ca.
Joined Oct 2006
223 Posts
Check some of my later blogs and you will see a video camera mounted to my airboat and trying to mate with those wonderful coots ! Most recent I have converted several vessels to EDF's and the whine of the turbines really bring in the birds.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Hello all. I'm new here.
Can anyone tell me where I can buy a waterproof motor like the one on the duck?
Thank you for any advice, Si.
simes303 is offline Find More Posts by simes303
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:26 PM
obsessed noobie
United States, HI, Kailua-Kona
Joined Jul 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simes303 View Post
Hello all. I'm new here.
Can anyone tell me where I can buy a waterproof motor like the one on the duck?
Thank you for any advice, Si.
Me too! I love the robo-duck. It certainly brought a smile to my face. Thanks
DOH! didn't realize this thread was over 5 years old!
prof. chaos is offline Find More Posts by prof. chaos
Last edited by prof. chaos; Mar 22, 2012 at 12:58 PM.