HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2006, 01:12 PM
Flounder
Three turns into Eddie’s High Nowhere
Joined Aug 2006
94 Posts
Discussion
Futaba 9CAS or 9CHS – which is better for sailplanes?

I’m considering buying one of the Futaba 9C radios for sailplane use (mostly slope flying). Servocity has two versions: 9CAS and 9CHS. It looks like the differences are primarily in where certain switches are positioned and, for me, there probably won’t be much difference between the two. But, I want to be sure I don’t overlook something. Anyone have an opinion as to which configuration is best/most convenient?

Thanks!

PS – here’s a link to the Servocity page that shows the differences between the two configurations: http://www.servocity.com/html/9cas_a...fferences.html
Utahrd is offline Find More Posts by Utahrd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2006, 08:11 PM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
The key differences are the position of the 3-position switch and the ratchet on the throttle. If you will fly thermal ships on a winch, get the H. It is much easier to have the switch on the left while the right thumb is busy during launch.

I don't know if it makes much differnce for other sailplane work.
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:39 PM
ground pounder
Joined Sep 2004
152 Posts
I just picked up a 9CHPS for my sailplanes. I like the heli version for the lack of a ratchet on the throttle. Feels much smoother and more precise.
My $0.02
vyse is offline Find More Posts by vyse
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:57 PM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
Interesting view on the ratchet. I have 2 Futaba 9CH radios (my son, Littleflyer, uses one) I bought both used and on one of them the prior owner installed a ratchet on the thottle (flap) stick. I prefer that feel to the smooth motion of the normal 9CH.
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:24 PM
So. Cal
Joined Jan 2005
138 Posts
You might want to consider the JR 9303 or at least compare it. I had the Futaba heli version and sold it on ebay to buy the JR radio. My personal opinion was that the programming was much more friendlier towards full house sailplanes. The instructions are not great but the product is.

Craig
TOSSPilot is offline Find More Posts by TOSSPilot
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:48 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
I have the original 9C, primarily for thermal duration sailplanes. I also use it for slope and parkflyers.

I got the Heli version for the smooth stick and the 3 pos switch on the left. The new 9C super is much improved for sailplane use. I have seen other sailplane pilots using the 9C regular version. They seem to like it.

Just a matter of personal preference.

BTW, the 9303 is an excellent sailplane radio. If you have the bucks, I would consider it too, if I were you. If I were buying a new sailplane radio today, and had the budget, that is the one I would get.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 18, 2006, 03:20 PM
Flounder
Joined Aug 2006
94 Posts
Thanks to everyone who replied for the helpful information. Sounds like, for my needs, the ratcheted vs. non-ratcheted stick is the biggest factor. For sailplane use, that stick would typically be used for flaps, right? If so, wouldn't the ratched version provide the benefit of being able to set the flap angle and leave it there until you want to change it, rather than having to hold it in place? Just thinking outloud...

Thanks again!

Charlie
Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:59 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,350 Posts
You would never want to use the throttle stick for setting flap angles. The best approach is to use a few preset flight conditions plus elevator to camber mixing to compensate for dynamic inputs. You will use the flap stick in middle positions during landing approaches but that's about it. And for that, the ratchet doesn't matter much.

FOr those who want to be able to play with flap positions during flight, they usually prefer the sliders on the side of the TX where there is no risk of moving the flap when using the rudder. It's best to learn to use the rudder stick when thermaling, but a lot of guys get by with one stick with aileron to rudder mix. Not ideal, but good enough for them. Everything goes up if the thermal is strong enough.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Oct 19, 2006, 01:17 AM
Flounder
Joined Aug 2006
94 Posts
mlachow - thanks for your response. What you siad makes sense. I have really never flown a ship with flaps, but plan to soon so I appreciate the info.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:13 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahrd
Thanks to everyone who replied for the helpful information. Sounds like, for my needs, the ratcheted vs. non-ratcheted stick is the biggest factor. For sailplane use, that stick would typically be used for flaps, right? If so, wouldn't the ratched version provide the benefit of being able to set the flap angle and leave it there until you want to change it, rather than having to hold it in place? Just thinking outloud...

Thanks again!

Charlie
The left stick is not ratcheted in the front/back direction but it is NOT self centering. It works like every throttle stick you ever used, it just doesn't click. You would not have to hold it to hold flap position.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr