HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2006, 02:12 PM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
Discussion
Need Help with ZEN13810 Easy Link Carb Adapter for my Zenoah G38

I purchased a ZEN13810 Easy Link Carb Adapter for my Zenoah G38, but it cracked on installation. Today, I reordered a replacement from Horizon Hobby sales.

However, this Carb Adapter does not rotate the throttle rod to vertical that would allow using a direct linkage from the throttle servo. Thus, I would still need to install a bell crank assembly to connect the throttle to the throttle servo linkage.

Is there a way to use this Carb Adapter, or another type of adapter that you may offer, while still aligning the hole for crankcase vacuum, and allow using a direct linkage from the throttle servo?

Best regards,

Bryan Del Monte
bryadelm is offline Find More Posts by bryadelm
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2006, 06:06 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Due to the orientation of the axis for the throttle valve in those carberetors, unless you can find a linkage that connects to the throttle valve arm and to the output shaft of the throttle servo, you kinda hafta use the bellcrank.
I did it this way on my Quadras..
There use to be a rotating linkage assembly for direct connection, but I forget the name and manufacturer.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Oct 14, 2006, 08:32 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
Thank you for the nice picture of bell crank linkage.

Ralph with RCingitions has a carb adapter for the G-38 that will eliminate the need for the bell crank, which I am going to purchase.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 06:13 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
carb linkage

Ralph's is the best as it is thinner..B&B has them also..Brian Smith
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:50 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
I purchased one from Ralph and will post the results here when installed.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 03:01 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
I finally figured this out with help from Ralph at RCIgnitions.

I have the older Calbro WTA6 carb without choke on my Zenoah G38. The ZEN13810 adapter is designed to 90 degrees rotate the newer Walbro WT338 carb with choke. (The instruction manual for Zenoah engines lists both the WTA6 w/0 choke and WT338 carb with choke for G38. The Zenoah manual for GPU380 only lists the WT338.) The ZEN13810 adapter rotates my WTA6 carb only 45 degrees.

If Ralph cannot fabricate an carb adapter for the WTA6, I will either need to install the bellcrank assembly that I purchased or replace this with a new WT338 (back ordered to November at Horizon Hobbies) to have direct linkage.

Bryan
Old Oct 22, 2006, 04:01 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Carb

I put a G26 carb on one of my G38s.. It actually has a little larger bore than was on my G38.. It starts, runs, and idles better, than with the stock carb.. You can get a walbro 644 carb off e-bay new for at times $10..I bought 2.. And they are brand new. They are a great carb for both my G26 and my G38. With Ralphs block your carb will be right on line for a straight throttle hook up.. Brian
Old Oct 22, 2006, 09:29 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
I created an e-Bay favorite search for WT-338 and found one available now for about $40.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:43 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
Here it finally is installed:
Old Nov 25, 2006, 01:59 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
I had to reverse the Walbro carbo 180 degrees and correctly align the pulse line holes between the G38 cycliner, adapater and carb.

When my hand turning did not provide enough gas to spark plug, a heavy duty Sullivan Dynatron starter was need to get it started. It sounded nice when it ran shortly before closing it down due to temporary throttle linkage.

I am waiting for Ralph with RCIgnitions to provide a carb adapter that correctly aligns to vertical throttle with my WTA6 without a choke.
Old Jan 03, 2007, 08:13 PM
Joined Jul 2006
34 Posts
I have a Zenoah G38 with the same carb. Here is the set up I got from Bennetts.

This is real straight forward and easy to connect to a servo.
Pylot7 is offline Find More Posts by Pylot7
Old Jan 04, 2007, 07:48 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylot7
I have a Zenoah G38 with the same carb. Here is the set up I got from Bennetts.

This is real straight forward and easy to connect to a servo.

it doesn't get much easier than using Bennett's set up. I've been using it for years.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 04, 2007, 09:13 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Zenoah Carb Hook up

I get carb spacer blocks from Ralph Cunningham at RC ignitions.com that rotate the carb so that you need no bellcrank.. It is a straight shot to the carb. I have them on my G26, my G38 and on my G62.. If you need one, I have bought 644 carbs on e-bay very cheap and they work great on my G26s and G38s.. Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
it doesn't get much easier than using Bennett's set up. I've been using it for years.
Last edited by BrianSmith; Jan 05, 2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 07:01 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith
I get carb spacer blocks from Ralph Cunningham at RC ignitions.com that rotate the carb so that you need no bellcrank.. It is a straight shot to the carb. I have them on my G26, my G38 and on my G62.. If you need one, I have bought 644 carbs on e-bay very cheap and they work great on my G26s and G38s.. Brian
I installed Ralph's carb adapter (3rd attempt - first one I stripped, second was wrong type, but started). I had trouble starting my G38 (older pre-1994 version bought on eBay) and spun of its prop adapter.

I will retry after receiving back the correct spinner bolt (<'94) and post pictures when successful here.
Old May 19, 2007, 09:20 PM
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
After purchasing and building the Miller R/C high torque starter on a Sullivan Dynatron ($$), I can now start the G-38, but not obtain low idle with L screw adjustments on my Walbro WTA-6A carb installed with RC Ignition adapter.

The G-38 starts and runs at mid to high idle, but will not idle, as quickly stalls at low throttle. Today, another gasser R/C flyer checked both the throttle cable installation and transmitter settings as OK at my AMA flying field.

It appears to me and another R/C flying that the Walbro WTA-6A carb is not providing adequate vacuum at low idle. Or does it require a gallon or more of fuel to break in a G-38 and get closer to a low idle.

Is there anything that I can do here before replacing the Walbro WTA-6A with a Walbro WT338 carb and Zenoah carb adapter?