anything pre 1920
Australia
Joined Sep 2006
11 Posts
Question
airco DH 2 set up

Gidday .
I am wanting to scratch build a DH 2
Does anyone know what the top and bottom wing and stabiliser incidences are ?
And the motor thrust angles for the Airco DH 2 WW1 British Fighter ?

Jim.
jimpe is offline Find More Posts by jimpe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2006, 08:30 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
If you mean the De Havilland DH2...maybe these will help?
For issues in building a model like this, see the FE2 threads.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 14, 2006, 01:03 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,983 Posts
There is also a build thread on a DH1, started 2004, with recent additions.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=204785

Also a quick search on the web came up with a few plans for the DH2, so there should be plenty of info out there.

I even fly one on the FMS flight sim.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 14, 2006, 03:34 PM
Joined May 2006
118 Posts
Actually jimpes original thread title is correct, Airco DH-2.
Although De Havilland was the designer, the company name (and aircraft name) was Airco.
allanflowers is offline Find More Posts by allanflowers
Old Oct 15, 2006, 04:03 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanflowers
Actually jimpes original thread title is correct, Airco DH-2.
Although De Havilland was the designer, the company name (and aircraft name) was Airco.
Fairy Nuff!

At least I got the right drawings to post up!
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:27 AM
Joined May 2006
118 Posts
I noticed you can get almost as many pix on a Google search for De Havilland DH-2 as Airco DH-2, so it works...
By the way, I thought I had every DH-2 pix and 3-view available but the ones you posted are new to me and very nice.
allanflowers is offline Find More Posts by allanflowers
Old Oct 15, 2006, 03:00 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
i posted a thread showing some newer documentation for the DH1 and DH-2.

Dehavilland Aircraft Of WWI, by Colin Owers, isbn
1-891268-17-1 Copyright 2001 Flying Machines press.

the stabilizer incidence on my plans are 0 degrees. it seems there was also discussion on this in the earlier mentioned thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=14&pp=15 post number 201

according to ian's comments i would say 2 degrees on the wings and zero on the stabilizer

I'm sure you know that Aerodrome is selling a DH-1 kit, which i am sure would convert easily to a DH-2 if you wanted to do it that way.

i was a little confused by the airco/dehavilland name too, but i guess airco was aircraft company of london.

hope you post a build thread if you go further with this Jim.

Tim
ZRS4 is offline Find More Posts by ZRS4
Last edited by ZRS4; Oct 15, 2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 03:48 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
i updated my previous comments to reflect the links to incidence references.
ZRS4 is offline Find More Posts by ZRS4
Old Oct 15, 2006, 05:22 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
Whatever you set the incidence to, in the end the trim will be what it will be at -- up or down trim added in flight depenidng on CG, so I wouldn't worry about stab incidence.

The main wing incidence will affect the attitude of the model..too much and it will want to fly nose down, which can look funny, and make it want to nose over on landings.

2 degrees positive measured from LE nose to TE seems good to me. In practice with a flat bottomed wing that comes out with the flat bit parallel to the stab mostly.

If the CG isn't too far forward that will reduce the need for downthrust as well, but 2 down and 2 right is probably where to start, and if you haven't got computer mixing, make sure its adjustable. The full size probably needed a load of trim anyway to hold it steady between power on and off conditions. Especuialy that will be true if you attempt a scale diameter prop. The average prop dia. I found on WWI machines - especially rotaries - is about 30% of span.. that is HUGE and really cranks the model over under power. My calcs on the FE2 prop showed that you need prop whose diameter and ptch are broadly equal, and turning in the 3-5000 RPM range to fly wth scale diameters.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:02 AM
anything pre 1920
Australia
Joined Sep 2006
11 Posts
airco DH 2 set up

No worries ,

Thanks for all that excellent information.
I will post some pics when I get her built.

Jim.
jimpe is offline Find More Posts by jimpe
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:29 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,634 Posts
Jim,
After the FE8, I would suggest around 1.5-2 degrees positive on the wing and zero or even a little negative on the tailplane. A zero/zero thrustline demonstrates no real change between power on and power off attitude.
Just to clarify, because at first what Vintage said about wing bottom to tail relationship didn't make sense, I am referring to the angle of the flat bottom of the wing, not l.e. centre to t.e. centre.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:50 PM
Expat Canuck
Faial, Azores
Joined Oct 2006
550 Posts
I have a plan for a 35 inch span Airco DH2 by Mike Roach from Flying Scale Models a few years ago. The plan says zero incidence on the tailplane and +1.5 degrees on the wing. By actual measurement this is the angle of the bottom surface of the Clark Y airfoil. The motor thrustline is zero/zero. I suppose changes in motor thrustline would have less effect than on a motor hung out on the front of a plane.

I started to build this model in the springócut out ribs, struts, fuselage sides, formers etc. but the project got put aside for a while. Hope to start up again next month.
Milhafre is offline Find More Posts by Milhafre