HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2006, 08:49 PM
Encinitas
Joined Jan 2006
120 Posts
New Product
Trex 450 SA owners thread

I think I am the first! 2 hours ago I picked up my 450SA. Havent even opened the box yet, but I very excited. Looking to see if anyone else has received thiers, and what thier experiences will be. My first impression is.... it looks good in the box.
wigeon is offline Find More Posts by wigeon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2006, 08:50 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
I just read the manual at Horizon on the SA. VERY thorough.
Greybird is online now Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:16 PM
Nose In is NOT my friend
Joined Oct 2006
172 Posts
Can't wait to hear about it!
rdlohr is offline Find More Posts by rdlohr
Old Oct 16, 2006, 06:47 PM
Encinitas
Joined Jan 2006
120 Posts
I built my SA over the weekend. It was so nice to buy it 95% prebuilt. I swear it was worth 100$ in build time alone. with the help of a friend we programed the TX and hooked up all the electronics. Measured the Ball links, and installed them. I had a little trouble installing the backing on one of the servos. No big deal. I had to remove the motor mount in order to install the motor, because I didn't have the allen tools to install my motor ( Astro 020 ) The SA came with a set of hex screws in the motor mount set that worked for me. The hex screws that I had were too wide for the slots in the mounting plate. Somehow it worked out.

Here is my setup

450SA
ASTRO 020 #4 ( 11t pinion )
CC35
Electron 6
3HS65
1HS81 tail
Gy240

Optic6 TX

I love having the direct link, at least for convenience ( less links ) And it looks cleaner. The links that were installed by Align were perfectly measured. I verified them. The Screws that I removed had Locktite on them, so I was happy with not checking all of them. Maybe it will bite me later.

Maided it on Sunday.

I got a few big glitches, one that almost brought me down. Just hovering and some minor FF.

My setup is a little funky. I put the RX on the aluminum battery mount, battery on the under carrage. gyro in the rear undercarage. and the ESC on the middle side of the frame just behind the motor.

I am going to redo the electronics and re-rout my antena to see if this helps. I will also add some electrical tape, and a ferrit ring. That helps I hear. Also I already ordered a ParkBEC, which I hear aslo can reduce glitches.

I want to cut my Electron6 antena in half, or get a deans. I figure I don't need much range, so I don't need it that long.

Over all I am very happy with the kit quality. The frame is very nice, the hex nuts are great, and the blue washers give it a real nice touch. The bling is just a bonus, I would have gone with the SA for the build, and the frame alone. I also was very pleased to see that flybar weights were included and installed.

Currios to see if others get glitching, I hope its not the aluminum frame... but I'm sure it can't help.

The manual was very well put together, and the packaging was a nice touch. When they add windows to the box, you know they are confident in thier offering.

So far I highly recomend it.
wigeon is offline Find More Posts by wigeon
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:40 PM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigeon
I built my SA over the weekend. It was so nice to buy it 95% prebuilt. I swear it was worth 100$ in build time alone. with the help of a friend we programed the TX and hooked up all the electronics. Measured the Ball links, and installed them. I had a little trouble installing the backing on one of the servos. No big deal. I had to remove the motor mount in order to install the motor, because I didn't have the allen tools to install my motor ( Astro 020 ) The SA came with a set of hex screws in the motor mount set that worked for me. The hex screws that I had were too wide for the slots in the mounting plate. Somehow it worked out.

Here is my setup

450SA
ASTRO 020 #4 ( 11t pinion )
CC35
Electron 6
3HS65
1HS81 tail
Gy240

Optic6 TX

I love having the direct link, at least for convenience ( less links ) And it looks cleaner. The links that were installed by Align were perfectly measured. I verified them. The Screws that I removed had Locktite on them, so I was happy with not checking all of them. Maybe it will bite me later.

Maided it on Sunday.

I got a few big glitches, one that almost brought me down. Just hovering and some minor FF.

My setup is a little funky. I put the RX on the aluminum battery mount, battery on the under carrage. gyro in the rear undercarage. and the ESC on the middle side of the frame just behind the motor.

I am going to redo the electronics and re-rout my antena to see if this helps. I will also add some electrical tape, and a ferrit ring. That helps I hear. Also I already ordered a ParkBEC, which I hear aslo can reduce glitches.

I want to cut my Electron6 antena in half, or get a deans. I figure I don't need much range, so I don't need it that long.

Over all I am very happy with the kit quality. The frame is very nice, the hex nuts are great, and the blue washers give it a real nice touch. The bling is just a bonus, I would have gone with the SA for the build, and the frame alone. I also was very pleased to see that flybar weights were included and installed.

Currios to see if others get glitching, I hope its not the aluminum frame... but I'm sure it can't help.

The manual was very well put together, and the packaging was a nice touch. When they add windows to the box, you know they are confident in thier offering.

So far I highly recomend it.
Congrats on the maiden flight! Glitches can be tricky to track down, but well worth it.

There are many threads discussing electronic placement. Check out Finless's videos.

Spray the belt and inside the tube with silicone spray... it helps prevent static build up.

Use a 6volt switching bec and the ferrite ring(Cured my glitching problem)

Keep the antenna wire away from noisey things (motor, esc, bec, etc)

Wrap your Rx in the rubber spandex stuff it came with. It works well for protecting it from static discharge.
BTW: I have an Electron 6 Rx and have no glitches after doing the above.
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:58 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
OR - just don't use the Electron 6. 90% of all Electron 6 users experience bad glitching in their helis. Why chance it?

-Kyle
arclite5 is offline Find More Posts by arclite5
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:54 PM
United States, FL, Land O' Lakes
Joined Mar 2001
694 Posts
The Horizon manual if perfect except for the electronics mounting. They must want to sell a lot of parts as the locations they show you for mounting the speedo are very bad.

Check out the Trex 450 SE build videos in the "Finless Tech Room" on www.helifreak.com. The SA builds identically to the SE version.
AdrianM is offline Find More Posts by AdrianM
Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:18 AM
Suspended Account
Redding, Ca
Joined Nov 2005
5,040 Posts
I just picked up a Trex SA also!!!!!!!!! Just cut the canopy my setup is going to be as follows...

Gy240
hs-56's
Hs'81 on tail
Jr 770 pcm
Align esc
Aon motor
Nick J is offline Find More Posts by Nick J
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:11 AM
it's just plane fun
Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2003
183 Posts
Hey Guys,

Show us some pics of your set-up.
Soarmax is offline Find More Posts by Soarmax
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:15 AM
Suspended Account
Redding, Ca
Joined Nov 2005
5,040 Posts
Ok ill take some now, but im not finished.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:33 AM
Suspended Account
Redding, Ca
Joined Nov 2005
5,040 Posts
Here it is, motor installed, i checked everything and it was truly an arf, i am inpressed, althought the aon motor screws barely fit in the motor mount.

My camera sucks!!!!!!!
Old Oct 17, 2006, 06:00 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
You can't beat that heli for the price.
Greybird is online now Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:22 AM
Suspended Account
Redding, Ca
Joined Nov 2005
5,040 Posts
You really cant, i love this thing, the box they put it in just makes you wanna buy it, i know better and i still HAD to buy it. Ill get the servos in after i get home from school.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:28 AM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arclite5
OR - just don't use the Electron 6. 90% of all Electron 6 users experience bad glitching in their helis. Why chance it?

-Kyle
I have electron 6s in 3 helis... none glitch(Trex SE, Maxir, and King) PCM Rxs just mask glitching and lock you out, spektrumized Rx have delayed stick responses. I know. I've tried them. It is better to eliminate the glitch source instead of just swapping out receivers.
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:53 PM
Suspended Account
Redding, Ca
Joined Nov 2005
5,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuc
I have electron 6s in 3 helis... none glitch(Trex SE, Maxir, and King) PCM Rxs just mask glitching and lock you out, spektrumized Rx have delayed stick responses. I know. I've tried them. It is better to eliminate the glitch source instead of just swapping out receivers.
3? Go buy a lottery ticket, lucky.