Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 25, 2002, 05:19 AM
Crashmaster Extraordinair
Clarksville, TN
Joined Apr 2002
730 Posts
Micro Max Wing, my first indoor flying(..X,) wing

Here is the Micro Max Wing! My first no-plans no-kit plane, and my first flying wing. Inspired by the Lil E-Square, this is where I ended up when I realized that the only foam I have thats light enough for a plane this small happens to be in the form of Mini Max parts, of which I have (had) a spare wing on hand. The fuse is a 1/8"x1"x8" piece of balsa and each wing is 10" off the end of the Mini Max wing (1mm foam, similar to foamboard foam), for a total wingspan of just over 20" and a chord of just under 7". Ailerons are 1/2" with a middle counterbalance extending 5/8" ahead of the hinge line with an appropriate amount of ballance putty applied. The electronics include an RFFS100 reciever, two MagAct magnetic actuators from Bob Selman installed inline so that they help center each other (thanks to hcopter for explaining that to me), a 170mAh lithium battery, and a KP00 motor with U80 prop. Glide tests last night with the un-equipped airframe placed the CG for me, and with the equipment in the current configuration it is almost dead on with plenty of room to move the battery for slight adjustments. I plan for a first flight test some time tomorrow if the wind permits, I havent found an indoor flying site in my new city yet. If it is too heavy as it sits I plan to shave the fuselage down quite a lot. I also expect to have to cut the wings a bit to reduce the drag down to a point that the KP00+U80 can handle. Between those two options I expect I can get it down to a nice weight and size.

Sparr is offline Find More Posts by Sparr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2002, 05:20 AM
Clarksville, TN
Joined Apr 2002
730 Posts
Old Aug 25, 2002, 05:25 AM
Clarksville, TN
Joined Apr 2002
730 Posts
Oh, and because someone just asked on IRC,

..X,

indicates crossed fingers. just as ..|., indicates that you dont like someone
Last edited by Sparr; Aug 25, 2002 at 05:33 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 04:24 AM
Clarksville, TN
Joined Apr 2002
730 Posts
Maiden flight, not so hot. Still no indoor site, had to take it outside. CG is right where the glide tests said it should be, but immediately after the first launch it did a 270 degree backflip, pointed straight down, fell, pitched "down" and glided inverted to a landing. Motor came off the stick, which always happens because thats where 99% of the shock absorption of this kind of model is. No other damage. Model is repaired, I am going to move the CG forward quite a bit and try this again on an absolutely calm day.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 07:01 AM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
Sparr,
This may sound crazy but I have actually done this myself....check and make sure the motor is running the right way. I was having trouble with a plane where it would glide GREAT but as soon as I applied power and launched it, it did some really strange things. Launched it three or four time before I figured out what the problem was. Man did i feel STUPID!!! You would think I would know by now that I'm supposed to feel a breeze on my face before launching.

Dan
dhurd is offline Find More Posts by dhurd
Old Aug 28, 2002, 02:25 PM
Clarksville, TN
Joined Apr 2002
730 Posts
hehe, its definitely flying the right way. the inverted glide was NICE. i cant wait to duplicate that for real.