HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2006, 03:03 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Video
On Board Video Lands in the Drink

Some things don't work out as planned.

I wanted to fly my GWS pico Tigermoth around a lake in Vermont. I managed to clip a tree on my first takeoff (not shown) and get everything wet. The radio, servos, ESC and video gear all seemed fine so I decided to give it a shot after testing everything.

The first flight was uneventful, but during the second I started getting weird lines in the video. I didn't see this at the time because I was flying the plane. About two minutes into the flight I suddenly lost power and the plane just settled into the lake. The image from the camera was pretty poor at that point because the video tx was under water!

My friend retrieved the plane and held it up for me and I had full control. While it was in the boat the motor started spontaneously, but not at full throttle. Worked fine ashore except that low motor was a sort of fast idle.

My CC Phoenix 10 amp esc was soaked as was my video tx. The camera had only a few drops on the outside. Everything worked fine that night, so a short exposure to fresh water does not seem especially harmful to anything but my ego.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:00 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,364 Posts
peter what video system are you using!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:00 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
peter what video system are you using!
I've been using BWAV's KX141 and the 50 mw tx. I usually get very good range, but I really think the trees cut down the range. When I turned right towards a little island even though I was very close I would lose the signal.

The weak link in my system is the Sony camcorder. If I send the signal to my portable DVD player the KX141 images are sharp as a tack, but the analog input on the Sony was not made for that kind of resolution. I use the DVD player to focus the camera, and that's how I discovered how mediocre the analog input on the Sony is.

I am planning to try the Arcos AV500, but though I have it I didn't want to start experimenting so far from home. I also recently got the BWAV diversity rx and the 11 dBi dual patch antenna. I have been using his plain vanilla rx and an 8 dBi patch.

I want to stick all this gear on a board and put that on a pack frame. I also want to record audio on the ground and feed that in if the situation warrants.

Using the Arcos will free up the camcorder and I could get pictures of the plane from the ground at the same time, increasing the editing possibilities.

I also have the head tracking video goggles, but the pico Tigermoth might be a bit small for a tilt and pan. I've got an Easy Star set up for that, but haven't had the chance to fly it yet. I'm using BWAV's 200 mw tx in that.

It sounds like a lot of gear, but over time I just accumulated this stuff without trying.

I love the tigermoth since I can fly it anywhere, which is not the case with bigger planes.

Pete
Old Oct 14, 2006, 04:51 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,828 Posts
Hi Pete!

Please tell us about your head tracking video goggles!

Thanks,
Q
Quacker is online now Find More Posts by Quacker
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 14, 2006, 05:19 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker
Hi Pete!

Please tell us about your head tracking video goggles!

Thanks,
Q
Hi Quacker,

I enjoyed the video you shot from your Tigermoth. Very nice and very well edited.

http://www.rc-tech.ch/web/index.php?lang=en

Here is a link to the outfit I bought the head tracking goggles from, and here are a couple of links that inspired me to get them:

Cool - Easystar set up for FPV / Video Groundstation (rob10000)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561016

Cool - Do you know how people will fly r/c planes in the future? (VRflier)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571299

I have not flown them yet. I've got everything hooked up and tried it indoors but I was reluctant to maiden the equipment in Vermont, and I haven't had a chance to try it since I got home. I showed it at our club meeting last night and got a lot of ooh's and aah's and a lot of people knew what it was all about. I am the only video freak in a rather active club, so I was surprised by that.

In case you haven't seen it already, here is a link to a thread I started on tilt and pan setups. These can be used without the head tracking but then you have to take your hands off the controls and think about what you are doing.

Simple Tilt & Pan
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576597

I hope this answers your questions, and I look forward to seeing what you do with this stuff.

Pete