HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2006, 07:27 PM
Joined Apr 2004
29 Posts
Discussion
Victor Model Products' Avalon 44

Hello,
I'm interested in the Victor Model Products' Avalon 44. Just from the pics on their website it looks to be a very fast light air boat.
My question is:
Has anyone on this forum built/sailed this boat and can you give an evaluation on the kit quality and sailing performance?
Thanks in advance,
David
N0cash is offline Find More Posts by N0cash
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2006, 01:13 PM
Joined Apr 2004
29 Posts
No one here with any info on this boat?!
Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:10 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,522 Posts
There are plenty here with experience of Victor boats, especially the V32 and the Soling, but I can't recall the Avalon being mentioned before. It does look like a scaled up V32 and you might find someone on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thev32yachtclub/ who tried their luck with the bigger boat.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Oct 20, 2006, 03:22 PM
Joined Sep 2005
2 Posts
I built an Avalon for a freind about 3 years ago. It was a blast to build. There is plenty of room in there for alternate channels.
I built his with a seperate channel for the jib, and a vang adjustment.
the boat is big, but very fun to sail, and well ballanced in my opinion.
I would recommend using glass or carbon to reinforce the keel as the ballast required for this boat will cause the ply to flex.
I also built a hatch in the rear for rudder access as the boat did not origionally have one.
battens in the main are not a bad idea either. Thin Styrene and some CA will work for this.
The kit is fairly simple, as far as bells and whistles go, but a little bit of research on the forums will help a bunch.

If you decide to go with the boat, post again and I can give you a little more insight into my build.

Also, as with all Victor models with Bulb keels, use some glass to reinforce the seem of the bulb. I rolled a Victor blackhawk a few years back when the bulb split and dumped the ballast.
No offense to Victor, their products are great, I have built 7 of them. They were very helpful when this happened. I would just hate to see someone else lose their electronics in a fluke accident.
wla6518 is offline Find More Posts by wla6518
Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:12 PM
Joined Apr 2004
29 Posts
I like big boats. And thanks for the response. I'm ordering one now.
Old Nov 02, 2006, 09:35 AM
Joined Sep 2005
2 Posts
Did the Avalon come in?
Will you give us a build log?
I like to see some of the innovative ideas others have durring a build.
wla6518 is offline Find More Posts by wla6518
Old Nov 06, 2006, 07:06 PM
Joined Apr 2004
29 Posts
[QUOTE]Did the Avalon come in?
Will you give us a build log?
Hi,wla
Thx for the interest. I'm waiting patiently for the instruction manual to the Avalon 44 that they graciously agreed to send me. I hate to make a build decision on just one pic on a web catalogue.
I'm also looking at the Victor America's Cup series of boats, in particular the Il Moro. Any input from anyone on either boat would be greatly appreciated.
As for a build log, sounds like fun, but we'll see.
David
Old Nov 26, 2006, 03:37 PM
Joined Apr 2004
29 Posts
Still hoping for a instruction manual from VMP. I was browsing the 'how do they compare' blog on AMYA. Seems the more you pay, the more speed. At least in most opinions with the One Meters. Any input on that? I'm talking any One Meter boat in any class. Weigh in.
David
Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:45 AM
Death and Taxes
Des Moines I'm in Heaven...I mean Iowa
Joined Feb 2006
833 Posts
Nocash,

I've built 2 victor models. Soling and V-32K and they were a breeze. Mainly the only mods were building up the mast to keel build. Basically making sure it is stabilized around that of where the mast rests on the plastic of the deck. Build a little area up from the keel retainer up to under the deck of the mast support.
I have a very light carbon fiber/fiberglass 1M, and I like the soling better. Cheaper, don't have to worry about the small things. Sails great! Most of the money now days are spent on exotic light materials put into the boat.

Good luck with the build!

Jimmy
conceptmachining is offline Find More Posts by conceptmachining
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:11 AM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Nocash

How did it go?

I've spotted an Avalon that I'm tempted to purchase.
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:15 AM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
869 Posts
here in RCGroups !

Hey Nocash
here in RCGroups - "dock talk" . under the "hansen dam lake irregulars"
click on page 333 , scroll down to post # 4995 .
nice picture of a Avelon 44 . one of the "irregulars" has one - ask around
there for info/build tips etc. not sure who's boat it is or if he built it, but.......

Allan
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail