HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2002, 10:05 PM
myspace.com/graehl
Joined Mar 2001
403 Posts
Sites on how to build your own batt ZAPPER

is searched on google but couldn't find any webpages that explaing what supplys need to zap nicad cells

anyone know or should i just leave it to the pros

btw
i love getting shocked
Kevin Graehl is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Graehl
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2002, 12:51 AM
Joined Aug 2002
37 Posts
I recall a thread from last year with the concensus being, leave it to the pros as it can be extremely dangerous!
My Fault is offline Find More Posts by My Fault
Old Aug 25, 2002, 03:17 AM
rebmeM roineS
Rockingham, Perth - Western Australia
Joined Apr 2001
615 Posts
Yeah it can kill you if not done carefully.
Better to let the pro's do it.

Simon
MrBungle is offline Find More Posts by MrBungle
Old Aug 25, 2002, 09:50 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,184 Posts
...and if you actually DO enjoy getting shocked, I see a cleansing of the gene pool in your future.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Aug 25, 2002, 07:49 PM
myspace.com/graehl
Joined Mar 2001
403 Posts
so am i correct to assume you charge up a large farred capisiter or two or three or four

with 110 house voltage>

hook + to + and - to -

sounds easy

i have lineman's gloves

i was thinking of climbing up to utility pole and zapping them right off the transformer
or mabye before
zaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap

not really but i still want to try it out

i could only find one sight by searching the ezone but that didn't go into any detail

when i was in auto shop in high school we had a working display of a distributer cap. Our instructer at that time dared us to touch the live main feed. Every student just touched and jumped

me on the other hand pinched the cap an stood there as my right side twich uncontrolbly -about 7 seconds after i let go i had spasims-twiches all down my sholder

THAT WAS FUN

so i am assuming there arn;'t many sites because of the inherant dangeer?

Old Aug 25, 2002, 08:10 PM
Hmm, kerosene... :)
Weert(LB) - the Netherlands
Joined May 2002
953 Posts
A distributor cap isn't that dangerous. It sparks, but can't deliver real amps.
A charged capacitor though, doesn't have *ANY* form of current-limiting.
Very low internal resistance to limit current. It can discharge it's charge in micro/nanoseconds resulting in *VERY* high (mega)amps.
When combining caps with high voltage, be careful.

A site (not related to zapping), but dealing with high voltage/currents :
http://www.powerlabs.org
Their flyback-HV supply design is nice to build yourself. No dangerous currents there, but some nice sparks.

I think, with a HV-supply and cascade from a TV, connected to some high-voltage, low ESR caps, you could do some serious zapping (not only cells ) - and damage...

All I can say is : be careful
NightSwan is offline Find More Posts by NightSwan
Old Aug 25, 2002, 10:10 PM
rebmeM roineS
Joined Apr 2001
615 Posts
The kind of capacitors you will need will be around the size of your forearm ... 2" dia and around 6" or more long, and many of them.

As NightSwan said, these caps have very low internal resistances, and when your connecting so many caps together in parallel, the internal resistance is even lower, serious currents will be flowing. This will give you one hell of a boot if you touch them. Serious injuries or death.
I've heard that there is also the the danger of the Cells exploding ... another reson to leave it to those that are experienced with the right equipment and protection.

oops, thats reason, not 'reson'
Last edited by MrBungle; Aug 25, 2002 at 10:13 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2002, 10:45 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,338 Posts
You need about 70,000 uf worth of caps intended for switching power supplies at between 60 and 80 volts plus a really big SCR that will handle the 5000+ amps when you discharge the caps into the cell.

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Aug 25, 2002, 11:15 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
Speaking of cell zapping, can they perform this after a battery has been used a few times? Or does it have to be done before it's ever been charged?
e-sailpilot86 is offline Find More Posts by e-sailpilot86
Old Aug 25, 2002, 11:23 PM
myspace.com/graehl
Joined Mar 2001
403 Posts
what is an SCR -are you talking about an battery(xxxxscr)

I can get ahold of the caps and will make a lexan(plexyglass) enclosure to gaurd against burst or explosion

is that the way r/c companies do it?

i was thinking of a triggering device similar to a geuaten-you know the thing that cuts of heads

the battery would sit upright with the negitive grounded to a copper plate and some type of relese that completes the circut when a string is pulled or mabye even when a servo is retracted

it's not the building of the zapper i am worried about
it's how much juice to put into them

so you don't zap them at 12 volts?

you can email me on the side if you are scared of other morons like me killing myself kgraehl@yahoo.com

i hate this life anyway -
Old Aug 25, 2002, 11:30 PM
So tired
Bensalem, PA USA
Joined Apr 2001
167 Posts
"you can email me on the side if you are scared of other morons like me killing myself kgraehl@yahoo.com"

no no, please post it here, im interested too. I cant find any zapped 600 sized cells
JJEXP is offline Find More Posts by JJEXP
Old Aug 25, 2002, 11:34 PM
myspace.com/graehl
Joined Mar 2001
403 Posts
from what i have read here on the ezone and other places 600ae's don't nessesarily benifite from zapping
Old Aug 25, 2002, 11:37 PM
So tired
Bensalem, PA USA
Joined Apr 2001
167 Posts
Really? Thats kind of a downer. Oh well, I'd still like to know how to do it though.
JJEXP is offline Find More Posts by JJEXP
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:30 AM
rebmeM roineS
Joined Apr 2001
615 Posts
From memory its done at high voltages, from 70 to 100volts or something, caps at this voltage rating(you really should use caps rated 50% more than the working voltage) and high capacities in the 10's and 100's of thousand uF are very expensive, it would probably be cheaper buying many packs of pre-zapped cells.
A SCR is a silicon-controlled rectifier or Thyristor, a solid state switch, kinda like the mosfet's used in ESC's in that they have a gate and when the gate is activated they allow current flow.
You could try finding a FET rated at many thousands of amps, but good luck with that one.

A mechanical Switch type method is just likely to weld the contacts together, no matter how big you make it.

Yes I've also heard that 600ae's don't benefit from zapping.

hmmm, makes more sense if I put 'thousand' in there
Last edited by MrBungle; Aug 26, 2002 at 08:41 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 08:28 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,250 Posts
If you can't put together a zapper based on the info Steve gave you probably shouldn't be thinking about making one.

600AE have not benefit from zapping, anyone buying such a zapped 600AE would be wasting their money.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz